“A reminder for the world”

Yad Vashem - The World Holocaust Remembrance Center
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
1.5-Hour Audio Tour of Yad Vashem Holocaust...
Ranked #6 of 315 things to do in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The World Holocaust Remembrance Center is a 45-acre campus comprised of indoor museums, outdoor monuments, gardens and sculptures. Entrance to Yad Vashem is free. Entrance to the Holocaust History Museum is for ages 10 and up.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Yad Vashem, the Holocaust museum is what you would expect it to be in Israel, the most impressive reminder in the world of the cruelty and savagery of which man is capable. The exhibits and memorials tear at one's heart as you walk through the simulated experience of a victim. In addition to this, the Museum's archives are the most complete for researching Jewish (and often Christian) ancestry. Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, recently (June 2013) visited and discovered that he had Jewish relatives who were killed in the Holocaust.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,922)
All reviews
in 74 reviews
in 221 reviews
in 301 reviews

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was my second time to tour Yad Vashem with a group. You don't have ample time to see everything with a tour group, but you can get a feel for tragedy endured by the Jewish people. I wish everyone would be required to see what ignorance and hatred can cause. Some may not think it should be part of the Holy Land tour, but I believe it is essential to understanding the heart of the Jewish people.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

A beautifully architectured building with a gruesome display of the bad times we faced as Jews in Europe.

An absolute MUST for any tourist - Jewish or not - we must never forget what happened and pray it will never happen again.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We are a family of 4 and had been to Israel a number of times-- we have an 11 and 13 year old boy and were going for my son's Bar Mitzvah.... We had never taken them - and I know the 13 year old can get a bit unsettled etc..by the holocaust. My Father is a survivor from 2 years of hiding in Holland and was saved by righteous gentiles...
I had heard about a tour guide Hazy Flint who works for the museum. flinthazy@gmail.com. we hired her---for about $100. She was simply amazing- so compassionate- she knew how to really how to reach the kids so they learned- they had been to Jewish Day School- but still she knew how to really get to them and teach them the lessons of the holocaust and in amazing- not frightening way. the 4 hours at the museum went by so quickly-- and I especially loved how she tied Zach's upcoming bar mitzvah the next day and the lessons and the responsibilities placed upon him as a result of what he had just learned and seen. She is truly extraordinary and she is truly one of the most amazing women I have ever met and Yad Vashem is so lucky to have her. She will instruct you on how to reserve time with her- for those who are concerned about going with kids- as parents only you can tell what their maturity level is-but Hazy I believe knows how to maneouver and make it a truly memorable experience without focusing on the most horrific images that might really frighten the children.. BTW-- aside from Hazy- the museum - and I have been 2X- is one of the most easy to navigate, well documented museum I have seen and it is a must for anyone of any faith etc....

See more reviews
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Yad VaShem is an important place to visit, especially with teens. The holocaust is dealt with on the level of individuals; it's impossible to comprehend six million people. We have visited regularly over the years, bringing with us our children and then our grandchildren, as well some adults. Some historical background is helpful. It was our first visit to the Children's Memorial. It was done excellently, with great impact, a way to help you comprehend the vastness of the loss. Some things are worth shedding tears. You won't forget your visit.