“Mary's final 'resting place'”
Review of Dormition Abbey

$57.00*
Half Day Small Group Tour to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv
Ranked #50 of 310 things to do in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on Mount Zion, this massive church resembles a mighty fortress with a high, domed belltower and conical dome.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Beautiful architecture and mosaics in this traditionally important religious spot, holy to Christianity.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Great architecture in style and finishing touch. A combination of medieval and modern era reflecting an Italian way of approach

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We came here on a tour, and so didn't have a lot of time, but I really loved the mosaics here. Plus, if you've read my other reviews, you know I love tombs, and really, the tomb of the Virgin Mary has to rate pretty high up there. Though, tradition says she's just sleeping. Of course, this is only one of the places that claims to have her, but I still think it counts as having seen Mary's tomb.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

On Passover, I showed a friend around 'my Jerusalem'. Since I've lived in Jerusalem primarily since I came on 'aliya' from Toronto in June 1973, I know the city quite well (I'm also a licenced tour guide for the country, since 1987). We went into the sanctuary of the Church, just to rest a few moments and enjoy the quiet. There is also a very nice gift shop, with regular tourist objects but also handwork, made by the embattled Christians still left in Bethlehem (The Moslems have forced the majority to emigrate since they took over from us in 1994 - Christians were 80% in 1993; now they are 15%!). There is also a little cafe. The nuns who run these little services are very hospitable.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Its a beautifull site and an important place to visit, historically