“Western wall”

Ranked #3 of 304 things to do in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The remains of the Second Temple of Jerusalem and a place of prayer sacred to the Jewish people.
London, United Kingdom
“Western wall”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

recently I have travelled to Israel and I went all over Jerusalem with a private guide. the only way to travel to my opinion in the old city. of course the highlight of our visit was the western wall. the visit there was amazing due the guide we had Arik Haglili was his name and i strongly recommend visit this site using his services.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A must see but can be uncomfortable”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Such an important site in the Old City can simply not be missed while in Jerusalem. Come and see people pray fervently and touch the wall, repeatedly chanting or coming together and singing songs. I came on a Friday when it was especially crowded as the evening set in, with men and women filling the area. However, I felt like I was getting eyes as an outsider, and the strict division between women and men made me uncomfortable (the women's section is so much smaller and less prominent and there are restrictions from their chanting and other behaviors). Clearly controlled by the Orthodox and one can see everyone dressed in elaborate Orthodox attire.

Visited January 2013
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“A staggering sense of holiness”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We visited the Wall on Shabbat. It was very busy but the sense of God's presence was tangible. My husband went down to the Wall to pray and had an overwhelming sense of the holiness of this place.
Unfortunately the bus journey back from the wall was something else! Our 20 month old grandchild, in his pram, was trampled on by an elderly lady who was determined she would be on the bus before us. I was kneed in the back of my legs by a Jewish man complete in his holy clothes and when it came to alighting from the bus iot was almost impossible to get off because people were trying to get on before those leaving had alighted. A somewhat sad end to what was an awesome experience.

England
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A place for reverence”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Whenever I go to the Kotel, I have to say I am deeply moved. If you are Jewish its a must, if your not go and pray for the peace of Jerusalem, I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

New York City, New York
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Solemn area with lots of history”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

It's divided into men and women's sections. Some women were actually crying. I've seen the Wall on TV, so it was a bit unreal to be actually standing there. Interesting to get close to the Wall, try to think of its history, and see how many handwritten notes people put between the Wall's cracks.