“not always open to public”
Review of Temple Mount

Ranked #27 of 315 things to do in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A hill in the eastern part of Old Jerusalem is of special significance to the world's three major religions. It was reputedly the site of the first and second Jewish Temple, and since the 7th century has contained two Muslim shrines.
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Tried three times on different days to enter, was closed each day. Opens and closes at different times, without notice.

2  Thank Patty A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,137)
All reviews
in 8 reviews
"old city"
in 56 reviews

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I hadn't originally intended to visit Temple Mount, as the opening hours are restrictive, but on my last day in Israel I had the time, and was nearby. The first hurdle was finding the entrance - there are several, but all are closed to non-Muslims except the wooden bridge beside the Western Wall.
The second hurdle was the queue - I stood for almost an hour, inching forwards in the already hot sun, and this in the low season! As a result, I only managed to spend about 20 minutes on the Mount itself. The moral here is, start queuing well before it opens.
The third hurdle is the security check, the cause of the queue. This is predicably thorough, with the confiscation of any Hebrew religious material, and seemed to be undermanned - maybe it's intended to be, to discourage visitors - Jews are forbidden by the Torah law to enter, according to a notice.

Once up on the Mount, was it worth the effort? For me, yes. Not because of any religious beliefs I hold, but the sense of history, and of palpable tension just below the surface. As a non-Muslim I couldn't enter the mosque, but the outside is spectacular, as are the views all around. However I most appreciated being able to watch the groups of worshippers, and to wonder what an Israeli police car was doing. There were no soldiers visible on my visit, but I heard that there had been violent action the following day. Ironically, once visitors have to leave, they can do so via any of the exits, so this doesn't take long.

From my non-religious, non-involved perspective, I would not classify this as a "must-see" site, especially if time is limited. However, I'm very glad I did.

2  Thank trekdog
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have mixed feelings about the temple mount. It's definitely worth visiting. It's beautiful and one of the most important historical sites in the world. We enjoyed it a great deal.

So don't let the rest of the review keep you from going. But be prepared!

Those that run it were quite difficult. First, we had to return three times because the refused to tell us when it would open. I do a great deal of research before visiting a place, and none of it accurately told us when it would open. We showed up when we understood it opened and they told us to come back "tomorrow," but wouldn't tell us when. We came back in the morning and were told to come back "later." We came back later, and there was a huge line. After waiting in line for over an hour, we finally got in.

As soon as we entered, someone cornered my wife and told her she needed a head covering or we had to leave. She had brought one, but she had misplaced it. So he offered to sell us one for about 5 times the normal cost. So ladies don't forget the head covering!

After we entered, a man offered to get us in one of the mosques for a couple hundred bucks. It seems a little fishy and too expensive. So I said, "No thank you." He got very angry and started yelling about how we thought we were so smart. With the offer, we thought we would ask to see if it was possible. The man at the front door said we couldn't go in but could look through the windows on the side. This also seemed fishy, but at least it wasn't exploitative. Well, when we got the the windows, an angry man chased us away.

After all that, we had a pretty good time, but weren't in there even an hour before they told us we had to leave. Except for the Palestine Territories, we have been welcomed with great hospitality in many Muslim and Arab places. But we did not feel welcome there!

2  Thank Jery P
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Have just been to temple mount. We arrived at the end of the line which was very long, at 7.45am and by 8.15am we were inside. It is quite quick to get through the line if you don't have a bag. The line splits towards the front to people with backpacks and those without, so don't take a bag or maybe just a small one. The security screening was quick and painless, however, you do need ID which I didn't have, fortunately my husband had his driver's license. We were not watched or harassed in any way inside and because it is such a large area it is not crowded at all. It was very quiet and very beautiful. Definitely worth the half hour line up. Remember to dress very modestly or you will be turned away as there are moslem groups taking their religious instruction everywhere. Going up the ramp on the way in is a birds eye view of the western wall. Be sure to brush up on your Jewish, Moslem and Christian history of the spot before you go so you appreciate the significance.