St. Andrew's Scots House Hotel
Mount Zion Hotel(Jerusalem)
Windmill Hotel(Jerusalem)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsscottish guesthousegerman colonyjaffa gateold cityunique accommodationgreat locationshared balconyno elevatorstation areatrain stationwalking distancemt ziona wonderful place to staystayed here for nightsemek refaimisrael museumrooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at this quaint location while travelling in Israel. I found the staff to be very helfpful and the accommodations to be clean and very nice. The guesthouse has a great view of the city. I love the library. They also make a great breakfast and will make you dinner on occassion. There was a group of us staying at the guesthouse and the they offered to make us dinner for a very low price. The chef made us a faboulous meal. It was well worth it!

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you has issues with the stairs this would not be good location for you. If not, try to get a room on the top floor (the lower room numbers are on the higher floors) because you will have a better view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Coffeebay7
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I would recommend the St Andrew's Guesthouse if your priority is to be within walking of the Old City and sights beyond. The rooms are very simple and could use some updating but for us, we wanted the convenience of a 15 minute walk to the Zion gate. Breakfast was chaotic but well stocked and overall we were satisfied with the guesthouse especially given that we booked last minute. We paid extra to have a balcony but found it was small, dusty and shared with another room. Take advantage of the communal balcony with excellent views of the Old City rather than paying extra for a room with a balcony.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Feet-to-pavement
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I just returned from my eleventh trip to Israel and Jerusalem, and for the first time stayed at St. Andrew's Scottish Guesthouse on the grounds of St. Andrew's Church, known to Jerusalemites as "the Scotty." And I was very much charmed by it.

The advantages:

* Truly wonderful, helpful staff who will do anything for you.
* With Israeli hotel costs skyrocketing, this is hands-down the best value in Jerusalem. A good, clean room with views of the Old City at $120 USD per night?! For budget travelers who do not need kosher accommodations, this is a really fantastic choice.
* The place has character and charm to spare -- a lovely old place overlooking the southern parts of the Old City and Mount Zion. The views are breathtaking.
* Jakoub in reception is a wonderful character and will "welcome!" you to the place about 20 times a day. I love him.

Disadvantages:

* No elevators, and the walk up to the third floor after a long day of touring got a little old. As am I. (Not really; I'm 54 -- but you get the point.)
* It's not kosher, for those who need it.
* The breakfast is adequate, but not great, for those spoiled by huge Israeli breakfast buffets.
* The proximity to the Sultan's Pool in the summer, with all of its concerts, can create noise and sleeping problems, and did so for my two friends. I slept through it.
* Unlike the YMCA, I did not see an effort to employ both Jewish and Arab staff. The Arab employees were WONDERFULLY helpful, so this is no racist venting. But I like to see diversity on a staff in Jerusalem, and I didn't. And I am Presbyterian (the American version of the Church of Scotland), so I come from the same faith tradition as this guesthouse. I also noted that when they called taxis, they only called Arab drivers, some of whom did not know sites in the New City well.

I would come back on a budget, though the renovation of the Jerusalem International YMCA is making that a good (if more expensive) choice again.

Room Tip: Be aware of the climb when booking rooms, and if you have mobility issues, ask for a lower floor. Also, in summer, ask for rooms facing away from the Sultan's Pool (though you will lose your Old City view).
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Douglas D
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Don't expect a luxury hotel; but the rooms and public areas are clean and comfortable and the staff charming and helpful. The bathroom was nice, but could have done with a couple of clothes hooks and a lick of paint on the (repaired) door frame. The place is redolent of old colonial atmosphere and SO restful - yet is so central that the Zion gate of the Old City is only 15 mins walk away via the footpath and bus stops are a stone's throw from the front gate. The only real negative, in an otherwise quiet stay, was the all night rave held in the vicinity on Independence night. It went on until 5am and probably kept the whole of Jerusalem awake! That said, I'd certainly choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: room 11 faces the Old City &has great views
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank joy s
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Good:
1. Location,
2. Views from public balconies (we got a room with a view to the back garden, which was a little bit seedy),
3. Atmosphere – Magical :-). In and out.
Could be better:
1. Breakfast was disappointing.
2. Rooms: very basic. Shower: It took the water FOREVER to get hot…

Bottom: Only If you are willing to pay for the location and atmosphere and be content with simple accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple