“Whistle stop Tour of Israel”
Review of Olive Tree Hotel

Olive Tree Hotel
Ranked #22 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were part of a Thomson Cruise visiting Holy Land and Aegean and had an overnight stay at the Olive Tree Hotel,our accommodation being arranged as a tour off the ship, Thomson Celebrity.We had not been advised as to where we would stay but as it turned out the Olive Tree provided us with excellent accommodation and service. We found the bedroom and ensuite bathroom facilities absolutely spotless. We had dinner that evening in the dining room a which appeared a large courtyard enclosed within the building. There was plenty of choice and you just helped yourself and the food was wholesome and well cooked. The Staff were very helpful. Perhaps a little disappointed with breakfast but then we were in the Middle East and should not have expected full English! The hotel although in New Jerusalem was convenient for a tourist and a short walk to Damascus Gate. I can certainly recommend this hotel as it is well placed to explore the Old and New parts of the City of Jerusalem.

Room Tip: I would imagine most rooms are good here and no traffic noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve1724

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I liked this hotel. It is clean and staff friendly. The restaurant was the best because of quality, choice and quantity . My only problem was the hotel lost power while I was in the lobby. Being an American, and daughter and mother to firefighters, my brain went to all the things that it could be. This was also the day of Sharons' funeral. With the emergency lighting and lights from outside, I positioned myself right next to a door to the outside. First, the desk clerks thought the power loss was a BIG joke. I would not want these guys near me in an emergency. In their defense, the front desk received less than a dozen calls about the problem. Hotel has probably 500 rooms?. So this may happen often. After an hour, friends came by and offered to take me up to my room. Six flights we walked. The emergency lighting on the stairs was only on in four of the stair ways. Only because of Iphones were we able to navigate the stairs. There was no emergency lighting in my hallway. If it were not for the this incident, I would have given The Olive Tree Hotel a solid 5 stars.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed at this hotel with our tour group from Australia organised by Dakkak Tours. The hotel lobby area was quite nice with lots of places to sit and relax and was the best place to pick up wifi. The rooms were nice and clean however they were a bit smaller than I expected although some of our group were lucky enough to have bigger rooms. Our group ate buffet breakfast and dinner every day during our stay which seemed to have a decent selection of food especially in comparison to some of the other hotels we stayed at in Israel. Be mindful that Saturday morning there isn't really a hot breakfast available due to it being their Sabbath. Some of our group paid extra for their internet in the room however it would only allow access from one device at a time and was charged at a daily rate. Often there will be a man sitting in the lobby offering to shine your shoes. He accepts tips for his service and a few of the men from our group took him up on this offer and were quite happy with the results. There are no laundry facilities at this hotel however you can find people that will come to the hotel to pick up your dirty laundry and return it within the day or 2 for approximately 75 shekels per plastic bag ($20-25 US). Service in the restaurant is much more friendly and helpful than at the front desk.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

The story of the olive tree was very intriguing . It was a highlight of our visit to Jerusalem. There is a nice gift shop connected which has affordable souvenirs. The buffet we had was right around the olive tree. Food was very good. I think no one in the group could say they went away without having something to eat.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The hotel and the rooms are very nice. The food is average. The hotel is an easy walk to the Damascus Gate. The staff is friendly and courteous. The hotel is much smaller than the hotel next door. The hotel does not have a swimming pool.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed overnight at the Olve Tree Hotel,our accommodation being arranged by Thomson Cruises as part of a two-day trip to Israel on 25-26 June 2014.We found the accommodation was good,bedroom and bathroom spotless.Staff were very helpful and food was good. The evening meal had plenty of choices but the morning breakfast was somewhat limited in choices available. I would recommend this hotel and it is well placed to explore the city of Jerusalem.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed at the Olive Tree for 1.5 nights ( had to leave at midnight the 2nd night for our flight out). Upon arrival with our tour group, our luggage was quickly delivered to our room. The room was quiet, comfortable,and clean. Had 2 dinner buffet style meals which were both well stocked and delicious. The bathroom tub shower was a little awkward to me having only a half length glass divider, thus making the floor a little wetter than it needed to be after a shower. WiFi is available in the rooms, but it is free in the lobby only. The hotel staff went out of their way to accommodate our group and its needs.