“Dirtiest Place On Earth”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Beit Shmuel Hostel

Beit Shmuel Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Beit Shmuel Hostel
Los Angeles
“Dirtiest Place On Earth”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

This was the most disgusting dirtiest place I've ever had the displeasure of staying in. When I went to take a shower, there was someone else's hair on the wall. The only thing that didn't make me run for the hills was the fact that I didn't see any cockroaches. Also, the location seemed like it would be ideal, but it was confusing and hard to get to. The staff was unfriendly. They were unable to help with currency. They did not help with bags (not that they are required to, but it would have been nice). When I asked if I could extend my room for ONE hour, I was told no. It didn't appear as though they were in a hurry to clean it or anything since it was so filthy in the first place, so I didn't understand that. Also, when I asked them not to come into my room and clean, they did anyway. The internet that they claimed worked did not allow me to send out email so the only way I could communicate with people with through facebook, which appeared to be the only web page that actually worked. This was the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. They could not have paid ME to stay there! So disgusting!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank fiftyonepercent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

I couldn't believe my eyes when I mapped Beit Shmuel's location and saw the prices on their website. Could it be - no-frills hotel/hostel with good reviews right next to the 5* King David Hotel under 100 bucks with breakfast? Yep. Having stayed in a few hotels in Jerusalem, this is by far the best value I have found. The location simply could not be better. It is right smack in the middle of the center, a short walk to both the Old City and Yafo Street, where the nightlife is.

To label the Bet Shmuel as a "hostel" would not be correct as it does not have dorms. What they have are rooms with up to 5 single beds. They will not book strangers to the same room even if there is space. The rooms also have balconies looking out onto Mamilla Mall and the gates of the Old City. They're also surprisingly clean. And again, for less than a Benjamin.

The front desk staff is helpful and courteous and there is even a security guard at the front door. Anyone entering the hotel has to show his room key. The computer downstairs charges a hefty sum for internet access but there is an internet cafe a 10-minute walk away on Yafo. Rooms come with breakfast, which while not spectacular, is better than nothing.

One thing to note - this hotel is booked by a lot of younger tour groups (teenagers, etc) since they can squeeze 5 Americans in 1 room. I was expecting a sleepless night filled with drunk teens knocking on my door. But no such thing happened. They only got loud during the day. At night, the hotel is quiet.

I highly recommend this hotel... I have been to many countries and stayed in some cool hostels but this one takes the cake for its location, price and cleanliness.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Platna
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

There's really not much to say about Beit Shmuel other than it is a very basic Hostel in a very good location. The room we were in had an incredible view of the Old City and the staff were generally pretty helpful, although one of the security guards did not seem to approve of my early morning running. The place is about a 10 minute walk from the Jaffa Gate of the Old City and even closer to Ben Yehuda street. Breakfast was plentiful and very good. Overall, if you are enjoy the hostel experience, this is a great place for you.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank rider1129
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2008

The first night was not good because we didn't know the air conditioning was not on in the winter. So the room was horribly hot. We also didn't have a view of the Old City. The next day we were switched into another room with a view of the Old City, which was beautiful. We learned not to have the heat on. So the room was comfortable. The price of the room came with breakfast, which was remarkable. Staff was cooperative. There isn't much parking if there is a wedding or other event hosted there. Would definitely stay there again in the future. Nicely located near the Old City and King David Street.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The sofa bed was not comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank ambenamy
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2008

Great place! We left the Jerusalem Hostel after one dirty, smelly night and chose Beit Shmu'el for our other two nights in Jerusalem. Fabulous location, clean, friendly staff, fairly priced. We definitely enjoyed our stay there. There's a Hertz right around the corner if you want to rent a car (we did so to drive to the Dead Sea and Masada), and the Old City is just a few blocks from the hotel. Likewise, Yafo Street is easily accessible by a ten-minute walk, and it has a host of restaurants, bars, and other stuff. Check out Zion Square/Ben Yehuda Street -- lots of action and fun.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank TomSwift
CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

This hostel is so centrally located, it's a glorious 5 minute walk from the old city gates, and only a 10-15 minute walk to the western wall. Clean and has the bare essentials of what you need, and is surprisingly comfortable.

Stayed May 2007