“If you like bed bugs and mildew, this is for you.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beit Shmuel Hostel

Beit Shmuel Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Beit Shmuel Hostel
“If you like bed bugs and mildew, this is for you.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hostel was one of the worst travel experiences of my life. The location is excellent, but that is the only thing going for this "establishment". Although the the prices are cheap by Jerusalem standards, there is no excuse for such poor conditions. The Ministry of Health should shut this place down!
The bathroom was smelly with mildew. I scratched myself all night because of nocturnal visitors of the multilegged kind. In the morning, all I wanted was a hot breakfast and some decent coffee. I received neither.
We promptly checked out, canceling the rest of our stay, and went to a five star hotel in order to recover from this disgusting trap.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Quietusleo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Convenient, close to transportation and major insights in Jerusalem, affordable and clean. However, the many community events happening in the same building may be distracting at times.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I can't figure out how the owners of such prime real estate could keep it in such poor condition, but I guess if they fixed it up it wouldn't be a hostel anymore, so I shouldn't complain. Beit Shmuel is right around the corner from two of the most expensive hotels in Jerusalem, with a fantastic view of the Old City and easy walking distance to the Jaffa Gate, Mamilla and Yemin Moshe. The lobby and courtyard are very attractive, but once you get upstairs, the rooms are not in great condition. My shower was so mildewed that it was really gross. In my room the door to the balcony wouldn't open, but in a friend's room, the balcony door wouldn't lock, and in another room, the whole window popped right out of its frame. The mattresses were hard, but actually comfortable for sleeping. They have rooms that sleep up to six with all the bunks set up, but the upper bunks fold away to make a very spacious room for 2 or 3 people. The shower and toilet were in separate bathrooms, which was convenient for room-sharing. The best thing about Beit Shmuel, though, was the food. The buffet featured really interesting salads and vegetables, far beyond the usual array at Israeli hotels. Shabbat meals there were outstanding. My room was on the 2nd floor, and I heard that the upper floors were a little nicer, so I'd recommend asking for the 3rd floor if you stay there.

Room Tip: go for 3rd floor or higher
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sudranski
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

For location and a clean, attractive "no frills" room, nothing beats Beit Shmuel. Near Mamilla, the Old City and King David , you can walk to most of central Jerusalem.
I was easily able to walk to the Old City, German Colony, King George St in Talbieh and Rehavia and to downtown along Jaffa Road. You are close to public transit.
Breakfasts are simple and delicious.
This was my fifth stay

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the Old City
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
nyc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

My sister-in-law and her hsuband to be were getting married and decided to get rooms in the place where they were marrying. Great location to marry due to the room at th etop and outside space where the chuppa was--was an amazing place for scenery looking out over the old city. But that is where the good stops.

We stayed in the hotel portion--buffet, very basic and very terrible--how can you screw up scramble eggs and why are your hard boiled eggs runny? Place is dirty. We did have a great view from the room but their staff was rude and basically clueless. Nissim--front desk person--yes I'm calling you out--take a customer service class and get a brain. Something that is so basic such as a person locked out of their room--why on earth are you looking for your cell phone instead of using the front desk phone to locate the house cleaning staff that has keys to every room? The you claim it will take at least 15 minutes to handle this request--really?! I found them myself in less than 3 minutes.

My sister-in-law was ripped off by the guy in the cafe -- he didn't give her the right change back. Due to her having food poison, she was not feeling that great and wasn't thinking clearly. Please explain why he took over 180 schekels for himself--she gave him 200 for something that cost 16 and he only gave her back 4 claiming she only gave him a 20. All she had was 200's.

This place was not worth a dime. They need new management and new staff. Especially the hotel--you cannot even call it a hotel. And for those people who are staying in the hostel section--find another place--pay the extra money and find a hotel that takes care of their guests and treats them like they are supposed to be treated.

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Joyia B
Ruth K, Manager at Beit Shmuel Hostel, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments. During March-April 2012 Beit Shmuel was in a process of rennovations in order to improve the facilities of the place. While we made every effort to ensure our guests' comfort and the level of services rendered are not compromised, I understand you have, unfortunately, experienced certain inconveniences and I sincerely apologize for that.
I feel that the phrasing of your complaint about Nissim from the Front Office was rather harsh and offensive, as he is a most dedicated and service oriented emloyee. The cell phone at the front desk, which is a duty one and not a private one, is exactly the tool required in order to speedily call the housekeeping employee on duty who could to let you into your room, once you locked yourself out. I am sorry you got the impression he was doing something wrong by using it.
The Cafeteria at our establishment is a private outlet, unrelated to the hotel. However, in the many years that it operates here, we have had nothing but praises to their service, honesty and generousity. The situation you describe is undoubtedly an honest mistake by one of the parties involved in the transaction, which I am sure could have been sorted out immediately if brought to our knowledge.
I have also relayed your comments regarding the egg at breakfast to our Food & Beverage manager.
I hope the wedding you attended here was a beautiful event to remember and assure you we are doing our utmost to make our guests welcome and happy.

Ruth Kaplan

Travelers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

Brno, Czech Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

I have stayed in a hostle-room (few beds, few people per room). I must say that this place was really dirty. Everything was mouldy. There was not enough storage space in the room for so many people as they have put in the room. Towels were not changed during stay. I went to a lecture in the lecture room located at the same floor as the accommodation. There was a huge hole in the sealing with mould dripping out from it. And the smell was just terrible in the entire permises. Selection for breakfast and dinner were basic but OK. The dining room, again, was dirty. Dirty dishes, dirty table cloths, dirty floor. "Abandoned" dirty grill in the corner of the room.
I must admit that the location was the only plus of this place. It is very close to the old city!
Staff were nice.
If not the wonderful people who have stayed with me in Beit Shmuel, I would escape from there during the first 5 minutes of my stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Olgitit
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in a hotel room (which is different than the hostel). Location to old city is the best feature only 5 mins. We had a great view of the old city from our room. Room was quiet, spacious and clean with comfortable bed. Tea and coffe making and a fridge were also supplied. Front desk staff were helpful. No car parking. Breakfast buffet very basic, shared with the hostel. Cost - reasonable.

Room Tip: Hotel room with balcony that overlooks old city.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple