“First impressions fail to impress” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inbal Jerusalem Hotel

Inbal Jerusalem Hotel
Ranked #6 of 97 Hotels in Jerusalem
Wellington, New Zealand
“First impressions fail to impress”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

OK, I have not explored the hotel or the area much at all yet ... but nescafe instant coffee sachets and that awful powdered 'creamer' stuff destroys any allusions of quality and class in an instant. 18 hours ago I was in the Hong Kong Sheraton where the in-room coffee is ground beans and a plunger and the 'cream' was wet-stuff stored in the bar refrigerator.

My room here in the Inbal, 456, is poky but reasonably well presented and clean. I have a courtyard view so, obviously, that is nothing to write home about either. I'm here on a conference package tarriff so should not be expecting too much I guess.

My room was also available when I arrived, at 05:00, which was a pleasant surprise.

Perhaps the remaining week will serve to undo the first impressions, but ...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Shlomit F, communications and social media manager at Inbal Jerusalem Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Subject: Inbal Jerusalem Hotel
Location: Jerusalem
Title: Owner response
ID#: 180148241

Dear Mr. Watson

Thank you taking the time to write your post here. Sometimes however, first impressions do not linger. hopefully this is one of those times. I understand that your requirements were met, as you seemed to be pleased with the hotel. I hope you ended up enjoying your time in the hotel and in Israel and that we will have the pleasure of hosting you here in the future. I will make a note in your guest profile concerning your coffee preferences to make sure your next stay is perfect.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
austinboy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I came to this hotel with a group tour. It was supposed to be a very high end tour. I have to say that the location of the hotel is very nice and it is generally clean. Breakfast was nice also. However, in the details this hotel fails to live up to the standard one would expect. First, if you are coming as a couple and hoping to sleep in king or queen bed, this is not the location for you. The beds are two twins pushed together with very hard edges and a significant gap in between. If the hotel had a king or queen, the certainly refused to accommodate us. We love the coffee in the morning and the staff rarely refilled the condiments. The restaurant, while nice for breakfast, was rather poor for dinner. I would elect to eat elsewhere. Finally, our group was to have a late check out and the hotel staff said to us, too bad. You were not included in the late check out and absolutely refused to accommodate. Given the opportunity, it is not a hotel I would return to.

Colleyville, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

The staff and the accommodations were very nice. We had a view of the Old City and my sun rise photos over Jerusalem are beautiful. The walk to the old city was about 15 minutes and the area felt very safe. Breakfast each morning offered everything anyone could possibly want. Our room came with access to an Executive Lounge that was nicely stocked. There was underground parking for our rent car too.
This was one of the most expensive hotels we stayed in but was well worth the money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at several hotels in Jerusalem , none compare with the service, warmth , and attention to client service! We give the inbal 2 thumbs up!! We will be returning and looking forward to the excellent massage therapists, great food and super comfortable beds! Bathrooms were amazing as well!

1 Thank rster49
Fairhope, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in 1999 when it was called the LaRome. I guess I naturally am comparing my last visit to this one. I enjoyed everything just like I did during my previous stay, except the food quality was not nearly as good as when it was the LaRome. A lot of pre packaged foods were on the buffet, which I understand happens. However, the main courses were lacking in taste and wow factor as the LaRome had. My first meal at the LaRome in 1999 was duck l'orange. My first meal at the Inbal was baked chicken thighs and legs. There were very cheap cuts of meat with very little choices. We had a private dining room that was catered and I was surprised to find that the food was simply placed on a table for a buffet style service. No refrigeration, no heating elements and no slobber guards. I was also surprised that the coffee was instant. It was foamy. The LaRome had fresh brewed coffee that 14 years later I still remember it, it was that good. I am in the restaurant business and recognize how restaurants cut costs. I was surprised that the Inbal diminished my experience by their average run of the mill meals that do not live up to the reputation the hotel wishes to project. I did find out that the Head Chef, that is advertised on their site, has not been there in over a year. One of the servers told me that. False advertising? They should address that because we thought we were going to be mesmerized by one of the Middle Easts top chefs. Not so and very disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeffrey H
Shlomit F, Manager at Inbal Jerusalem Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Mr. Jeffrey,

Thank you for taking the time to write this post and bring your concerns to our attention.
The Inbal hotel is also the Laromme. The ownership of the hotel has not changed .
The chef that is published on our site is the current chef of the hotel who’s name is Moty Buhbut and he is indeed one of the top chefs in Jerusalem. Times change as do tastes and food fashions. I am sorry if we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We hope to do better on your next visit.

Kind regards,
Shlomit Ferber
Isle of Man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed for four nights in this hotel and I must say I was very impressed with it. We arrived at 5.30am after three flights and a taxi ride to get there. We asked if there was anywhere to leave our luggage as check-in was not till 2pm. The clerk told us to wait a moment and disappeared. Three minutes later, he returned and told us we could have our room there and then. What a bonus that was! The room itself was perfectly adequate looking towards the Old City. It was cleaned every morning without fail. The only drawbacks were that the Israeli breakfasts lacked something. I think it was called bacon!! Also we found we were there at Jewish New Year and everywhere was closed. Not a shop or cafe open at all, only in East Jerusalem and we did not fancy going over there! Neither of these things were any fault of the hotel. In fact, we ordered room service and really enjoyed our meal. The rooms are just the right size for two. The staff were very helpful and everyone did their jobs with a smile and a genuine will to help us in any way. All in all, I could find no fault with this hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: I cannot imagine there is a bad room in this hotel!
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We've stayed at the Inbal Hotel twice previously - and chose to return. That speaks volumes by itself and is the best compliment a hotel can receive. For our latest trip to Israel we booked 29 nights and are just halfway through our stay. The hotel is quite well run - with management monitoring client needs and concerns often - and that makes the significant difference in turning an ordinary stay into an extraordinary one. The location is perfect - in the best of neighborhoods, with attractive and well maintained rooms having the air more of a luxury residence than that of a large corporate hotel. Public areas are attractive, comfortable and well maintained. The Executive Lounge is well suited to host guests and business associates, and the breakfast and dining services are well above international average. Would we return?? Yes, that's the plan!!
My only regret is that I should have made our reservation earlier to secure a larger room - given our long stay. I'll follow up after departure.

• Stayed September 2013