“Not a 5-star experience”

Inbal Jerusalem Hotel
Ranked #7 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Inbal is a hotel with a high price tag and 5 stars. This means that as a guest you have high expectations. Unfortunately, what the Inbal has to offer does not match their price tag. I found the Inbal quite disappointing. Hence my rating.

The room was smallish, with a small bathroom. Too small for the price tag. No minibar. The airco was noisy even at the lowest setting, but switching it off was not an option given the high summer temperature.

When I returned after a long day at work I found that my room had not been cleaned. When I reported this at the reception desk the man didn't say anything but just made a phone call. Then returned his attention to me and asked if I wanted to have my room served! No apology was expressed. Not exactly 5-star customer service.

Similar disappointing treatments in the poolside restaurant. When my colleague hesitated for 2 seconds with his meal order, the waiter turned around and walked away. He did return after a while to finish taking our order. I've never experienced something like this ever before. It was not a one-off. Several other thing went similarly wrong during that diner.

In general, I found most staff quite aloof to put it euphemistically. It's apparently not easy to provide service with a smile here.
I suggest that ambition levels for service are increased and that staff be trained better and perhaps go on an excursion to a hotel that does a lot better.

I will spend my money in another hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Renevdh
Shlomit F, social media and communications manager at Inbal Jerusalem Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Renevdh from Amsterdam

I thank you for caring and for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. I read your post with growing dismay as I did not recognize our hotel from among the many comments in it.
We have a mini bar in the room but, we believe that we should let our guests choose from our room service list, rather than stock the mini bar with drinks that we deem appropriate. As for your ac, malfunctions do occur but you fail to mention whether it was reported or resolved. I would like to address all your comments; however some of them seem vague and incomplete. In order to allow us to make the necessary adjustments I would appreciate it if you could write to me on my personal e-mail with further detail. My email is shlomitf@inbalhotel.com. Alternatively, you can also just send me your telephone number by mail and I shall call to speak to you.

Kind Regards,
Shlomit Ferber

Write a ReviewReviews (1,860)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Being at the Inbal Hotel makes Israel come alive. From the food, pool, health club and rooms you start and finish each day refreshed and ready for your next experience. Truly a great place to stay in Jerusalem. Inbal's location is right in the heart of all places you need to walk to and the staff is most helpful with answering questions from eating places to site directions. The buffet breakfast is the best in the country. Friday night dinner is beyond comparison and the lounge area is very relaxing. Inbal is the only place to stay when in Israel.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. If possible try to stay in a room with a balcony. The view is worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We love this hotel and would not stay anywhere else in Jerusalem. The Reception staff are welcoming and always ready to help with any query - plus they smile a lot! The rooms are well furnished, comfortable and housekeeping staff are always on call. They even remade the bed on arrival as one person does not like duvets, but the other does. This is a hotel where you can just relax and take in the atmosphere as there is always something going on in the courtyard. The restaurant is very professionally managed and I particularly like the new lay out of the food stations for breakfast. They have refurbished the lobby and shopping area with new shops in the pipeline. The executive lounge does have wonderful views from the terrace and there is always a nice selection of food throughout the day. It is an adult only area and a nice place to relax, catch up on emails or just enjoy a drink and the view.
The Liberty Bell park is adjacent and a pleasant walk through will take you to the Jerusalem Train Station which is undergoing a huge refurbishment with an organic market, cafe and shops. A little further along is Emik Refiam which has a large variety of restaurants, all sorts of shops from jewellery to books, gifts and clothes plus a post office.You can also walk to the Old City through Yemin Moshe and admire the homes and gardens along the way.
All and all a real treat - book a stay to see for yourself.

Room Tip: All the rooms are extremely nice and depending on the size of your party the hotel reservation staff...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane A
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were at this hotel with a Bar Mitzvah group from Tourluxe.
The staff are very professional -starting with Sandra at the guest relations desk and all of the staff at the reception and in the dining room. Very attentive staff.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Inbal Hotel in Jerusalem in located in a beautiful neighborhood easily accessible to downtown Jerusalem, the Old City and several hopping neighborhoods. The lobby is newly done and gorgeous with a beautiful Courtyard that hosts many events. The rooms are clean. The food is outstanding. The most impressive part of the hotel is the service and the staff. The front desk staff are the most helpful staff I've ever encountered in any hotel in Israel. They are warm and approachable and very willing to help in any way. They create a feeling of being pampered and taking care of guests in a friendly and professional manner: from the Front Desk staff to the wait staff to the bellboys and housekeeping--all provide excellent service. The hotel is always making improvements on the physical space, there's an excellent spa. I had a wonderful massage. They also have a gym and a beautiful pool! The food is spectacular. The breakfast is the best of any hotel in Israel I've seen and the private dinners we had in the hotel were elegant and unbelievably delicious. The executive lounge is just beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2013

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome. The service is the best we received throughout Israel - friendly, helpful, professional. The rooms are very comfortable (not overly large) and the executive lounge is very nice with lovely views towards the Old City. The buffet breakfast offers an enormous variety of hot and cold foods and is located in a very nice area of the hotel. There is a pool however we didn't have time to use it. The hotel is a 8-10 minute walk to Mamilla Mall and a few more minutes to the Jaffa Gate so the location is very good.
Wifi is complimentary as too is parking for guests.
We would definitely return to Mamilla when next in Jerusalem.

Room Tip: Request a view of the old city.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We just returned from a ten day trip to Israel which ended with four nights at the Inbal Hotel in Jerusalem. We enjoyed the hotel very much. The front desk and concierge were extremely helpful, the rooms were clean, and the buffet breakfast each morning was delicious. Also, the location is great as you can walk to the Jaffe Gate as well as the newly refurbished train station with great restaurants. If I were to nit-pick, I would say the service in the lounge was a bit slow but it is no reason not to stay at the Inbal.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family