“Very nice "pure agatha christie"”
Review of New Imperial Hotel

New Imperial Hotel
Ranked #49 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Runcorn England
“Very nice "pure agatha christie"”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Hotel is like staying in an art gallery with all types of paintings from different styles and ages adorning every wall. Stayed in imperial suite nice size, comfortable, kitchen, tv, palm top for internet in room. Only two complaints were the shower went red hot after 2 minutes and you had to turn cold off and back on to get the cold. Didn't complain as only there for 2 nights. The man on the desk was both abrupt most of the time and blanked us when we asked about directions and things involving other religions than his own. The best reason for staying at this hotel is location and view which to me was second to none inside the wall. It is located about 30 yards inside Jaffa Gate right across the street from St Davids Citidel. If you have a front facing room history looks in and you can watch life in a modern old jerusalem pass by. Nice quiet bar underneath serving seesha and draught ale from palestine and Isreal. Free parking is a 10 minute walk outside the wall and you can be anywhere within the walled city within 15 minutes on foot.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank M00kster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
London
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Great location: inside the old city, yet close to the jaffa gate so can get taxis to and from the door. Simple room, no extravagance but wireless internet available free to use. The breakfast it not up to much and not worth paying the extra $5 dollars for. The owner was fine with us, no record of our booking but let us use his phone to make a number of calls.
there is a good cafe/bar just downstairs, but can be a noisey into the night. Overall its a good cheap option in a great location, but go elsewhere if your looking for comfort.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 22, 2008

I was staying at the $100 / night "tourist class" Gloria Hotel less than one block away in the old city, when a visitor to the hotel told me about the New Imperial Hotel, which was HALF as expensive and in his opinion perfectly acceptable. I moved to the New Imperial Hotel on the same day.

I have to stress that this hotel is a little bit frayed around the edges, but it has character and a romantic feel about it that made up for this in my opinion. The hotel is based on a historically significant site and have over the years housed many famous visitors (I think this is outlined on the website) and you can just FEEL it in the air. My bedroom was tiny compared to the more spacious and clinical one at the Gloria Hotel but it had the most lovely little Romeo & Juliet balcony overlooking the street below. Although not modern or new in any way, I never had reason to doubt the cleanliness of the room.

The location is even marginally better than the Gloria Hotel, in a busier, better lit street. The breakfast at the hotel is not worth eating in all honesty, but there is a restaurant downstaits where you can eat with the $50 per night that you will be saving by staying here ;)

Many of the other guests seemed to be staying on a long term basis. There is free internet on ancient computers, which is very useful in the old city of Jerusalem.

I highly recommend that you experience staying in the old city while in Jerusalem, for me it was a memorable experience that I hope to repeat one day.

And if your budget is on the tight side and you're willing to be open minded, why not try this hotel?

The owner, Waleed, seems to be quite a charismatic character. I did not have any issues with him but I have seen him mentioned as a negative in some reviews and can imagine that you might not want to get on the wrong side of him. I am sure he has many interesting stories to share though... Just make polite small talk with him and deal with reception on the operational issues ;) I did not find him intrusive at all.

• Liked — Fantastic location, my room's lovely little balcony, good value
  • Disliked — A little frayed around the edges, breakfast not great
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank dizzygirl123
Beer Sheva
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I had spoken with the owner at least twice and booked for two nights. On the phone, he said there was no problem, and never mentioned any additional reservation requirements. When I got there, he nonchalantly said he had no reservations for me and my family. No apologies for the hassle or misunderstanding just, no room. When I asked him about it further, he said that I should have registered on the internet, because he couldn't count on phone reservations. When I asked him why he hadn't mentioned this in one of the many phone calls, he just shrugged. I said this was bad for business, and he demanded that I go. Don't bother trying to stay there, management is rude.

Stayed October 2008
3 Thank 1234tg

Travelers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

uk
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We booked the hotel for 3 nights through a broker (hostelworld), paid 10% and got a confirmation email to say that it was all booked. When we arrived, employee Mr Dajani said that his internet had been down had not received any confirmation and that was that. At first he wouldnt even help us to find alternate accommodation, but gave us back our deposit. When no other place is the locality had availability, we went back to push Mr Dajani some more. He eventually called one of his friends to find us alternative, and without prompting gave us $10 to cover the taxi (almost double) I hope that this was all true, but as the city was so busy, the advertised rate in reception was more per night than I had found online, and his willingness to give us cash to get us out of his reception making a big scene made me wonder... I would suggest double checking with the hotel that your booking is in fact confirmed before travel, or simply book somewhere else.

• Liked — It had a good location, and seemed good value
  • Disliked — that despite our confirmation, he had double booked, and wouldnt help to find alternate
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jimandlucy
Leeds
Reviewed August 9, 2008

I have just retured from 4 nights staying at East New imperial. I was a little worried by the recent reviews on the hotel but I needn't have been, I had a great time!

I sometimes wonder what people expect. This is a basic hotel/hostel .I have stayed in many 5 star hotels on my travels and you know what to expect from the price you pay.

This a great hotel for those budget travellers looking for clean, friendly accomodation close to all the historic sites of the Old City. The hotel also attracts an interesting mix of guests, which is great for some really inelligent conversation. Not something you usually get on holiday.

The staff are very helpful and a big thanks in particular to Mr Dejani, the owner and to Tony the Night Manager for all their advice and practical help during my stay.

The "acid test" for me of any hotel is would I stay there again. The answer in this case is a definite yes!!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I planned to stay three nights in this hotel. I settled for two in the end, after trying out two different rooms. This hotel is a shame, even for the low price (50$ single room). Whereas the first room was a three-bed room (no other was available), had a fan (no A/C in the hotel) and a ramshackle cupboard, the second room had neither. I have never seen in my life such poor craftsmanship: the whole seemed on the verge of falling apart, the toilet tank was leaking, the sink overflow hole was not connected, dumping water of the floor. Linen were soiled, with the occasional pubic hair.
But I wouldn't be fair if I didn't mention the two positive points: free internet access, via wifi or the two available computers and a great location, inside the Old City next to the Jaffa Gate. But I will never go there again.

• Liked — Location, free internet
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business