“Good location, good value, but not the place for winter”
Review of New Imperial Hotel

New Imperial Hotel
Ranked #54 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in December. It's an excellent base for exploring the Old City - the best value in that part of town, with many of the alternatives being religious hostels and therefore not suitable for everyone.

I freely admit that we visited the city during an unusually cold snap, but still the room could have been warmer - the radiator was not on and warm a/c didn't do the job because the room had such a high ceiling. I was freezing at night, despite sleeping fully clothed. Having said that, I'm sure the rooms are lovely and cool in summer - our room and bathroom were both spacious and - if not spotless - certainly adequately clean. Despite other reviews' dire warnings, our room was cleaned and the bed made daily without need for a special request. Breakfast is a pretty miserable affair; just a tiny bit more effort with ingredients and presentation could make it a lot better.

The service was variable. Some desk staff were extremely helpful, others less so. We returned unexpectedly to Jerusalem towards the end of our trip and went back to the hotel to ask if they could have us for one more night. They couldn't as they were full - which was of course fair enough - but I thought it would have been kind to suggest alternatives or offer help, as it was sub-zero, snowing/raining and getting late, and we were return customers.

Room Tip: Many reviewers mention tiny rooms - there are spacious rooms to be had, so persevere!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ally P

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I was looking for a place to only store my luggage for 1 night, because i stayed with a friend this time and did not want to bring my lugguage with me. There are no left luggage places in Jerusalem. I tried with 3 hotels, 2 of them i stayed with before. It was so frustrating, none wanted me to help. A tout in the street talked to me, he said, he will ask his friend, it turned out it was Mr. Walid Dajana, manager of Imperial Hotel. He was the most friendly, polite, gracious, warm hearted person I have ever met in Jerusalem!!!!! Of course lady he said, you are very welcome and he did not want anything for it. Next morning i picked my luggage up, he was not around, a young lady instead, very warm and kind and sweet as well. 10 out of 10 for this kindness. I wish them well! thank you so much, you really made me see a very friendly side of Jerusalem.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RavinKraut
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Looks like we got a room for unwanted guests. Both room and furniture need repair. Room, towels and sheets were not clean (many hairs around, not white with lipstick spots sheets). Wi-fi was unstable and slow. Hundreds of satellite channels - all in Arabic.
Breakfest was decent, staff was helpfull enough too, though if you want some help about the city - go to Info centre around the corner.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Yuri K
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We spent three nights here, the location is fabulous and it's very easy to walk around the old city from here. A tourist information office is a couple of doors down which is useful, and there's a modern and pleasant outside Mall just around the corner.
We asked to change the first room we were given as it was too small to open a suitcase in and we were moved to a much bigger room with no problem.
Luckily we were out all day and the state of the room did not make us want to rush back. The bathroom was revolting with a mouldy, too short shower curtain, stained shower base etc. We got the impression that the hotel isn't so much "Authentic" as much as run down.
The fresh fruit available for breakfast on the days we were there was mainly old and bruised, you can help yourself to instant coffee and tea in paper cups.
We came across three members of staff. 2 were lovely and helpful,the 3rd, who unfortunately seemed to be there most of the time was sullen and unhelpful.
We wouldn't return to this hotel, but the location cannot be beaten if you want to explore the old city.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joanne a
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We booked two rooms for three nights in Jerusalem based on location. The location is excellent. We had no problem with check in and saw the rooms in advance. i did not check to see if hot water worked as I assumed that all would be in order. Room is old which is what I expected. Furniture is very basic (think K Mart desk and chair) but it did have a working mini fridge. Hot water in the sink did not come on. The manager offered to change the room but we were tired and already moved in so I made do with what we had. Shower had a plastic bag over the nozzle which sprayed water all over the floor which made it rather hazardous. If you want the room freshened you have to request this at the desk and the same goes if you want additional soap. Price was $50 per person which is modest for expensive Jerusalem. Breakfast is better than average with lots of options for fresh fruit and vegetables. Coffee is instant and tea is available. I don't think that I would stay here again but we spent little time in the hotel and instead concentrated on tourist activities in the general area and the West bank. Staff was friendly but I realize that other reviewers did not have the same experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank theavailablemom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We booked this hotel 2 months in advance and placed a credit card deposit. WHen we arrived in September at 9pm because our Wizz air flight was delayed 2 hrs from Budapest, we were told by the front desk that we were late and our room was given out already!!! SO i said, the reservation was 2 months in advance and was guaranteed by a credit card in which i was charged 30 Euro. STill they said that they have no more rooms. However, at least the front desk returned my deposit, and he arranged another hotel for us by the Damascus gate side, and called a taxi for us, they paid for the taxi too. The hotel was not as good as the New Imperial, the Rivoli Hotel, cheaper and on the Arab side. Luckily, the manager of the Rivoli Hotel was nice enough as far as service is concern, to compensate for the trouble the New Imperial hotel gave us!

Room Tip: If they did it to me, they might do it to you too. Arriving and finding out that you have no room to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank PalawanStreet
Reviewed August 23, 2013

New Imperial Hotel has several highlights; the perfect location, - right amongst the Old City culture but the gate to the New City is within view - Mr Dajani with his friendly manner, and good wifi in the majority of the rooms. I stayed in Room 33 on my own for 2 weeks. Room 33 was a wonderful room for a single traveller, double bed, huge bathroom, and I was lucky enough to have one of the few non-leaking showers with hot water that didn't scald you! However the night staff are where this review turns sour. The main man in charge at nights is grumpy and unpleasant, this being experienced not only by me. Also, one night at 11pm when I was in bed there was a knock on my door, which I didn't answer, however 3 minutes later I hear the knocker has returned with the key to my room and is unlocking the door! I got up to find one of the male hotel workers drunkenly mumbling something about rooms that made no sense. As a young single female travelling alone I feel it is inexcusable to abuse access to the key to my room and enter my room during sleeping hours when I wasn't answering the door! This made me feel unsafe. I also had another incident with the main night man, after I left Jerusalem for a weekend in Haifa, and returned at 3am in the morning - a strange check-in time I will admit but I had to catch a night bus and I confirmed with Mr Dajani several times that I would be returning then to stay for another week. I arrived to find no one was awake to answer the door, thankfully after sitting alone on the doorstep down the dark alleyway for 15 minutes my ringing of the doorbell finally woke the night man. He grumpily greeted me, only to tell me that they were overbooked and had nowhere for me to sleep, and was completely unhelpful when I asked where I was supposed to say, telling me to go find a hostel and exasperatedly walking off shouting that he had to get up in a few hours when I asked to use the phone to call somewhere and see if I could have a room. Thanks to this I had to head into the Old City alone at 4am with all of my bags in search of somewhere to sleep, the last thing you want after a long late night of travelling! I was so grateful to find Citadel Youth Hostel down the road far more accommodating, even at the inconvenient time.

Room Tip: If you can, request Room 23 or 24 if you're a group of 4-5, Room 29 if you want two singles, or...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo