“Wonderful Oasis within Old City Walls”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Christ Church Guest House
Ranked #1 of 59 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Canada
“Wonderful Oasis within Old City Walls”
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights in August, after a friend recommended it to me. I was trying to get into the Austrian Hospice, but they didn't return my email inquiry, and when I phoned they told me to send an email. I am glad as the location for the hospice didn't feel like it would be safe after dark.
Christ Church was excellent, from check in, to departure. We stayed in room 1 in the annex, and although there was no airconditioning in this block, there was a fan, and it was enough.
The guest house just inside Jaffa Gate, across from the museum, where they do a night spectacular show 4 times each night. It is absolutely worth going to, as it tells the history of Jerusalem thru music and images projected onto the walls. You need reservations and the early shows book up fast. There is always activity round the entrance to the Old city, so felt quite safe at night.
Breakfast was included and was quite adequate.
We had to leave for the airport at 3.45am,, and the reception arranged a sherut van for us. We should have booked the earlier sherut though as we didn't take into consideration there would be other pickups, and as we were the first to be picked up, by the time we should have been checking in in Tel Aviv we were just leaving Jerusalem! Luckily there was no traffic at that hour and we were at the airport ast 5.15am and still made the flight! Very stressful though...
My only negative comment about the place was the bathroom. Quite small and damp, as no window or good ventilation. Towels were very old too. But, it was very clean and this was not a big deal.

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank Yorkielassincanada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
fLORIDA USA
Reviewed June 21, 2009

There is no way I can express what I felt staying in November and in December while in Israel...some things you just must experience for yourself. The setting is spectacular, ancient, holy, historic...the accommodations exactly what you need and the fellowship exceeding abundantly above. Gracious. Humble. Like the birthplace of Yeshua must have been...
I want to weep when I think of the opportunity I had to stay there, in Jerusalem, in ISRAEL, in this day and hour.
Would I recommend it? If you are accustomed to luxury and need a reality check; if you are accustomed to status quo and need a spiritual touch ...if you are in Israel and want to be so close to the Old City you can breathe it in your lungs...YES, YES YES.
It is lovely beyond my ability to explain to you. Is it luxurious...no, at least not in the materialistic way. It is being content with what you have and it is enough.
And ...
you are in Jerusalem, Israel 2009 AD...MIRACULOUS!!!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank LoverofISRAEL
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 7, 2009

This is a guesthouse, run by volunteers who care deeply about the city, the church, and the guest house. While warm and welcoming, the volunteers take good care of the place but aren't really there to be at your beckon call - so don't expect the kind of service you'd receive at a hotel.

The quarters were comfortable and relaxing. You could hear a lot through the thin doors but all the guests were quiet and respectful. I awoke in the morning to the beautiful sounds of Jerusalem and some lovely violin playing coming from the courtyard. Breakfast was basic but fresh and filling. They also served dinner at at fixed time.

My room was a single with a private bath. It had only a twin bed with a comfortable mattress and extra blankets. The room was dated and far from elegant, but clean, more than adequate, and a great price for the old city. I felt very safe and at home there.

The location is wonderful, just inside Jaffa gate, but it's a little hard to find. Entering the Old City through Jaffa gate, follow the main/drivable road to the right. The entrance is through a little gate on the left near a public phone. The sign is small and it certainly doesn't look like a main entrance of any kind. It's easy to miss.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank BFDStein
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2009

First of all, this is a guest house. Most of the personnel are volunteers, and the accommodations very simple. If one is going to stay here, one needs to have realistic expectations.

I love this place. My room was simple, but adequate. It could have been cleaner, but it wasn't unsatisfactory. The bathroom is small with low water pressure. Everything worked fine.

The compound is beautiful. I stayed in the Alexander building, the older of the two buildings with guest rooms. To get to the rooms, one has to go through a locked gate at the top of a stairwell. I appreciate the extra security because a lot of visitors and tourists pass through this place during the day.

I found the included breakfasts quite nice. They offered "normal" breakfast items like cereal and orange juice, as well as fresh vegetables and meats and cheeses. They serve lunch and dinner each day for an additional reasonable fee, and I ate dinner there many nights. The dinner food was more bland, English food--perfectly edible, just not very exciting.

I don't think this place was noisier than any other. The calls to prayer from the mosques and the sound and light show from the citadel are the worst noises.

The absolute best aspect of Christ Church is its location. It's sits in the old city right inside the Jaffa Gate, across from the Citadel museum. You can be anywhere in the old city within a ten-minute walk. That is fantastic.

Christ Church locks up at night (I believe 22:00 or 23:00 and reopens at 07:00. Getting in or out at night requires a call to the night watch. It's simple, but one just needs to plan for it.

They offer wireless internet access for an additional fee. It wasn't working all the well when I was there, and some guests just didn't find it worth the cost for the poor performance. I think the access point in the Alexander building wasn't functioning, but I find anyone to inform who could do something about it.

If location matters, this is a superb options. If you're coming for a Christian pilgrimage-type of trip, even better (though by no means necessary). If you're looking for hotel-style comfort and service, this may not be the place for you. A superb guest house it is; a full-service hotel it isn't.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Jeandhlh
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed December 5, 2008

I don't travel often and this was my first trip to Israel, so I have limited experience. But...for my budget, this was perfect!
I loved my second story room overlooking the courtyard's beautiful garden and outdoor eating area. I felt safe and peaceful during my stay here. The Friday night Shabbat meal was informational as well as delicious. (I'd never had a Shabbat/Sabbath meal before.)
I walked through the Old City everyday because everything was so close. There is a bus stop minutes away by Jaffa Gate so I could easily travel to other locations of Israel as well. The bus/van from Tel Aviv airport dropped us off right in front of the Christ Church Guesthouse for a very reasonable rate.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Terry001
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed November 9, 2008

I enjoyed my 8 day stay at Christ Church. The room was small, linens were clean but towels were one per custom and no wash cloths, bath mat on request., had to request t.p. on two occasions. Breakfast and dinner were plentiful. Shabbat dinner was a special treat! I felt safe within its gates. Wi-fi available for a small cost. Evening concerts were enjoyable!
I will stay here again. Great location! Can walk to many sites!
Met many new friends in the dining hall and enjoyed sharing our spiritual journeys. Shalom-Shalom! Laurie, Fort Worth, TX

Stayed October 2008
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Excellant stay at Christ Church Guesthouse. Loved the location near Jaffa Gate and the proximity of location in relation to transportation. Walking being the best though! It felt very secure and safe. Friendly and helpful service. Located next to the Police station which added another measure of safety to our stay. Easy access to any part of the city we wanted to visit. Excellant air conditioning was a blessing in the hot of the August month and we appreciated its value. Meals were ample enough if you wanted to avail yourself of them though not the cost was not included in the stay. Excellant price for those who want to stay within the Old City and experience it. Individual tours were made available to other nearby cities such as Bethlehem and Bethany for a very resonable cost. Easy access to group tours as well ( Egged Tours ) to nearby sites such as Masada, Dead Sea, Sea of Galilee etc. Taxi service right outside your door and numerous eating establishments close by though small were more than adequate. Overall very friendly people and we had a very enjoyable time and would reccomend Christ Church Guesthouse, especially to those who want to watch their money and stay within the Old City Walls. Karyl Dalbey

• Liked — Location, Safety factor, price, friendly service.
  • Disliked — Could have been a little cleaner.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)