“Beautiful Hotel, service so so...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The American Colony Hotel

The American Colony Hotel
Ranked #10 of 97 Hotels in Jerusalem
santa monica, ca
“Beautiful Hotel, service so so...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

I stayed at the American Colony Hotel for 4 nights with my husband and family members. We had pre-arranged with the hotel to be picked up from the Allenby Bridge after crossing into Israel through Jordan. This is a little more expensive then taking a random taxi at the border but we felt it was a safer and reliable option for us. We stayed at the hotel during the Christmas holiday season. The hotel itself is very beautiful and clean. The front desk staff is very helpful and friendly, they arranged a few dinners for us in Jerusalem (Pasha, The Little Eucalyptus, both excellent) on Christmas Eve and Christmas day for dinner as the hotel dining room was serving only a very pricey pre-fixed menu that cost $110. The dining room is our only complaint. We were disappointed that the hotel dining options were limited on Christmas Eve, as the main dining room was the pre-fixed menu and the bar/cellar restaurant was closed for a private party. That left us limited because Christmas Eve fell on Shabbat and most Jerusalem restaurants were closed. In addition the staff in the dining room next to the bar is not always very friendly. There were a few occasions that we came back to the hotel after a long day of city tours, and tried to get a late lunch (3:00pm). They refused to serve us at first, but once we complained they accomodated our needs. The hotel dining room manager though is a very friendly Armenian local. Overall it is a nice hotel but for the price I would have rather stayed at the King David.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
simonklyne, General Manager representative at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and the kind comments regarding our beautiful and historic building and the way we care for it.
As you mentioned, your stay coincided with Christmas and the American Colony Hotel is famous for its Christmas parties and events, which include festive dinners in the hotel dining room (The Arabesque) and the other restaurants in the hotel. Whilst we do our upmost to accommodate all of our Guests that are staying in the hotel during this period, we are somewhat limited in providing a la carte services for the main meals. I have taken note of your comments regarding the service received from our waiting staff in Val’s Brasserie and I have brought this issue to the attention of our Maitre d’hôtel.
Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Yours sincerely,

Paolo Fetz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Hebrew first
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

This hotel has so much history, it really does live up to its reputation. It is unique.We have visited three times and will return again. The rooms are individual, and the hotel changes character from winter to summer - the cellar bar in the winter and the barbecue on the lawns in the summer. The staff are also totally professional and welcoming - I cant imagine that a visit to Jerusalem would be complete without a stay in this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,390 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

This is a great hotel.

Check in was gracious and friendly. The manager at the desk seemed to be anticipating my arrival and I was offered a glass of champagne while he dealt with the guest preceding me. Luggage was brought up to my room without difficulty or hassle.

My room was also impressive, I was offered an upgrade (at a minimal increase in price) to a deluxe room which was unique: vaulted ceilings, small balcony overlooking the pool, large bathroom. It had all the modern amenities without the silly gimmicks (meaning I could figure out how everything worked in less than 60 seconds). The grounds as a whole were very atmospheric, even in the Jerusalem winter and during what had to be one of the most difficult sand storms in recent memory.

Dining options are what you would expect: main formal dining room (The Arabesque), smaller brasserie-style room (Val's), and the Cellar Bar. I sampled all of them and service and food were consistently above average. The real winner for me was the breakfast buffet (included in the room rate), which I thought was one of the best I've ever seen.

The service overall in the hotel was fantastic, and the staff manages to pull off the trick of being professional and friendly at the same time. The half-dozen requests I made to the front desk staff were handled within seconds. I ended up renting a car through the hotel and when I brought it back and transferred to another hotel I was treated just as royally as when I checked in for the first time.

Overall I had a very memorable stay here and would definitely stay again given the chance. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

I stayed here for four nights in November. It's a beautiful hotel - rooms fine, wonderful bar, nice pool, and really great service. The location means you probably need to get taxis, which are readily available but slightly pricey. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

Although located in East Jerusalem which might deter some travelers, I believe its locatio is one of the AmCol^s (or so the locals call it) fortes! I felt as if transposed to another place, the kindness of the staff, the extremely diverse clientele (journalists, diplomats, ONG rep's, locals, tourists like me...) that mingles perfectly and effortlessly, the super comfy beds and delish breakfast, the lovely pool... a true haven in the midst of it all. Delicious cocktails made by Ibrahim (sp?), terrific welcome by Diana and great( efficient GM and CFO...felt like I was at home away from home, and boy did I not think that was what I would find in this unique city!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

Spent two nights in the hotel. Great heritage, lovely photos from the old days around the hotel. Execellent service, which is still unusual in Israel.
I had reserved quiet room for two nights. Upon late night arrival (an easy drive just under one hour from Ben Gurion), I was was allocated an old room (cracks in the wall and elsewhere) in the annex, which is also a heritage building. However, the room was right across the elevator. The window was towards a side street with a restaurant.
Elevator + Stone Floors + Flimsy door + Delivery trucks to the restaurant at 05:00: My sleep was interruptued numerous times. Finally gave up an decamped to a room in the original building, which was rather nice.
Generally, very nice hotel if you have the funds to spend.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
simonklyne, Manager representative at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2010
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review of our hotel and the positive comments you made regarding the hotels heritage, photographic exhibition and our service.
Regarding your room. We believe your stay was in our Palm House annexe and we are pleased to be able to report that this area is due to be completely renovated during 2011.
I am pleased that we were able to fulfil your request to move you to a room in the main building.

When the renovations begin, this building will be closed. This is a separate building and will have no effect on the rest of the hotel with no noise, dirt or disturbance to our Guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future, and especially to our new Palm House once the renovations are complete.

Yours sincerely,

Paolo Fetz
New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2010

our room was in the original building and we enjoyed every aspect of our stay.
an excellent combination of old quality hotel hospitability and modern features.
our regret is that we did not have the time to experience the outdoor gardens and pool
one negative: as far as we could determine there are very few restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple