The American Colony Hotel
$270
$242
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem(Jerusalem)(Great Value!)
$126
$104
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
Notre Dame Guest House(Jerusalem)
$319
$465
$422
Priceline
1,166 results
All reviewscellar bareast jerusalempasha roompalm houselawrence of arabiasummer gardenleading hotels of the worlddamascus gateold citycall to prayermain buildinghistoric hoteljunior suitemodern amenitieswonderful hotelnice poolan upgrade
Reviewed June 23, 2009

This hotel is considered one of the "Leading Hotels in the World," but I can't see why. The reception and outside areas of the hotel were nice, however the room itself was a big disappointment. I consider myself a pretty laid back guy, however when I saw my room, felt the need to write a review. Room was outdated, plaster peeling off of the bathroom wall, shower partition did not close properly, was told that WiFi required a cable hookup - that's not Wi Fi! Would have stayed somewhere else...

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank TRCR3
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I stayed at the american colony for two nights with a friend. we were upgraded to a very nice, large and comfortable room and we had an amazing time. the stuff was more than welcoming, the food was great, the ambience charming. the most interesting people are passing by the american colony, and if you have a drink in the bar at night you would surely end up having exciting conversations!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Was a bit apprehensive after reading previous reviews but have to say that I think they were wrong. Is it the perfect hotel, well no- but would I stay there again should I go to Jerusalem- definately. Unlike a lot of the other well-known hotels in Jerusalem, eg King David this hotel has a lot of personality and charm. Tend to be biased towards smaller hotels anyway, but I think the highlights were i) Service- I got to the hotel really early so the room wasn't ready (and on a stormy Saturday no less) but the front desk did all they could to make me comfortable. Service throughout was excellent- very friendly people ii) The Cellar Bar- yes I know you don't have to stay there to use it, but still it makes it a lot easier if you are staying on-site. Full of interesting people- I stayed 5 nights and ended up having a drink thyere every night. Wasn't unusual to get involved in a conversation with a Palestinian journalist, a couple of US State Department staffers and a Jewish poet. Seemed like one of the few places in the city where you could say what you thought. iii) Gym- was small but adequate. iv) Food- restaraunt was very good v) Room- very charming decor vi) ambience- pretty quiet and laid back, definately not your bustling mega-hotel. My one gripe would be location- its not a long walk to the old city (maybe 15-20 mins max depending on which gate you wanted), but there aren't a lot of dining options within a 10 minute walk (but I gather that's the case with most of Jerusalem). Would stay again when next in Jerusalem.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We stayed at the American colony the last two days of our visit to Israel. I stayed here once before, in 2002, and have waited to be able to return since.

We didnt have a reservation, but decided to stop by, to see if we were lucky enough, to get a room anyway.

The hotel was pretty full. It seems that many journalists from all over the world, and people working for the UN tend to stay here a lot. So eventhough it isn´t holiday, it might be a good idea to book a room in advance.

We were told that there was a couple of double rooms and some suites left. The only problem was the price. This hotel is definently among the more expensive ones in Jerusalem. We decided that it was a bit over our budget and were sad that we had to look around for cheaper accomodation.

However, after looking around for an hour across the city in a cab (wich, eventhough they are pretty cheap, got expensive) for alternate accomodation we felt like none of it could match. We (I) had been looking forward to returning for so long, and at that point, money became an issue I decided to deal with after we got home.

We decided to go back, but when we arrived we were sad to hear that they had no more double rooms left. Now the price was so much over our budget that it would have been irresponsible for us stay there. However; when we were about to leave, the receptionist offered us the suite for the price of a standard double room. I was stunned! now I didn´t just get to stay here, I got to stay in a suite!! Amazing..

The room was really nice.. It had a bedroom and a seperate living room.

We ordered roomservice one night wich was really nice. Their strawberries were great! We also had them in their courtyard..

We also ate at the restaurant one night. This was the only negative thing I have to say about this place. The service was poor but the food was great. The staff corrected each other in front of us and we waited for a while before we got the food.

I would deffinently reccomend this place.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ThereseGoings
Reviewed November 22, 2008

The American Colony Hotel makes considerable use of its history as a promotional and marketing tool. Do not be fooled. This is a very average hotel living on past glories but with the pretentions of a top hotel with of course the prices to match. The room I had was quite shabby and although cleaned daily the cleaning was not up to a very high standard. The food in the restaurants was nothing to write home about. The staff with some notable exceptions were helpful and friendly. The location of the hotel is ideal for those who like to walk. It is within 10 minutes of the Damascus Gate using Nablus Road or 10 minutes walk from the Hebron Gate using Salah Edin Street or 15 minutes walk to the Jaffa gate. There must be better hotels in Jerusalem within the same price bracket but if you like to see and be seen this may be the hotel for you but I will certainly look elsewhere when I visit Jerusalem again.
The holy sites are hoelessly overcrowded and those hoping for a religious or spiritual experience or even a few moments to pray alone have no opportunity to do so. These sites have become impossible with no crowd management and in some instances are accidents waiting to happen .

Stayed: November 2008