“Beautiful historic hotel!”

The American Colony Hotel
Ranked #11 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I spent four nights at the American Colony hotel December 26-29 and was very glad to have stayed. The room was a deluxe pasha in the east house and it was lovely. The bar was filled with atmosphere and the food was fantastic. I can imagine how nice the pool area is during warmer times. I had a fabulous massage.

The location in the Arab quarter makes the hotel unique. I moved to the Mamilla for the second half of my trip and am glad that I experienced both hotels. The American Colony has excellent service and food and an experienced staff. The guests are international and the hotel is really interesting and unique. Hearing the daily prayers wasn't noisy and bothersome as I had thought it might be. It made the stay interesting. You really feel like you are in a special and historic place. I would love to return. All the staff at the hotel were discreet and excellent. TO get to most sights, taxi or tram is necessary.

Room Tip: I liked my deluxe pasha room in the east house. I'm sure all the rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Rhonda A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,083)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We have just returned from spending Christmas in Jerusalem and Bethlehem and all I can say is that it was the most wonderful experience! We stayed at this hotel and were immediately impressed both by the standard of accommodation, the food and the helpfulness of the staff. We intend to visit the Holy Land again and this will definitely be our first choice of hotel.

Room Tip: There are two wings to this hotel - one an old one and the other in a more modern block. We stayed...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this magnificent hotel last week, when Jerusalem was covered in snow. While temperatures outside were dropping, the beautiful rooms, the very cozy lobby and the extremely generous and friendly staff all warmed our hearts.
The American Colony Hotel has character like no other Jerusalem hotel- it is full of history, architecture and culture that all contribute to creating a true gem in the midst of a very intense city. The grounds are beautiful and allow intimacy, the rooms are spacious and unique- a beautiful mixture of old and new, creating a special atmosphere that is sensed all over the hotel. And the staff...wow, the staff! All very professional, extremely generous and kind and always very attentive. They make your stay even more excellent than it already is.
We both highly recommend staying at the American Colony hotel or at least passing by for a drink if you're visiting Jerusalem. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CarmitL_13
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I wonder what makes this hotel a five stars property ? The room are so average and rundown , the decor and service are similar to " an Italian pensione " from the '60 !
It looks more like a 3 stars to me , but prices are not !
The most unattractive staff I had ever seen in my life.
I'm sorry but I don't see any old charm in this hotel, save your money and go somewhere else , if you are looking for real luxury.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank cristianonyc
General M, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear Christianonyc,

I was most surprised and disappointed to read your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor last week.

I can assure you we are a 5 star luxury hotel and a member of The Leading Hotels of the World. This accolade is only granted to a select few hotels that have reached a certain standard and we are continually and rigorously tested and checked to ensure that our service, hospitality and facilities are kept at this high level. Currently, there are only 2 hotels in Israel that are members of this select group, and we are proud to be one of them.

Please note that all recent reviews and 19 out of 20 of all reviewers have provided very favourable reviews of our hotel.
I would kindly suggest that the next time you visit a hotel, if you have any grievances please mention it to one of the staff whilst you are there. I know that my team would have been more than happy to assist you with any issues during your stay.

Finally, when you are next in Jerusalem it would be my pleasure to welcome you back personally to the American Colony Hotel and let us restore your faith in our hotel and our hospitality.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Brugnatelli

Reviewed December 7, 2013

I've long had this dream to stay here - spurred on by the stories of friends and colleagues who have done so in the past. I was worried that my dream wouldn't be matched by reality but it definitely was. This is one of the most special hotels I've ever stayed in. Steeped in history, fascinating architecturally and very welcoming. I loved the little nooks and crannies of the place - most of which were beautifully decorated for Christmas, which is just around the corner. The staff were terrific. Most of all, one of their drivers - Wahid - who had collected me at the airport and I hired him as a driver/guide for a trip to Bethlehem and Jericho the day after. He was excellent - fluent in Arabic, English and Hebrew. Definitely ask for him. The cellar bar was a great place for a red wine at the end of the day - and the breakfast was DELICIOUS!!! Not cheap but special.

Room Tip: My room was one of the new ones - not nearly as glamorous as the older rooms, but excellent value fo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank KiwiDenise
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have been in this hotel for many times and I booked already the next stay in March. Every time I arrive there, it feels like coming back home. The service is just perfect, the rooms are extremely charming and the food most satisfying. The gardens are very beautyful, especially the herbal garden with all the healing herbs. It is indeed a healing place for the soul, where one can make very fond memories, .......like I have.

Room Tip: Quiet and very beautyful rooms are in the East House.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Strauss2013
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of a birding trip around Israel - we were looking for something nice to end our trip and we certainly got it.

The staff were very nice and the grounds of the hotel are stunning. We ate breakfast in the courtyard garden and also enjoyed dinner in both the other restaurants - all of which were great.

Our room was fabulous - we saw 2 of them because the first one was right next to the tower for the call to prayer and that was a bit loud so they moved us to one in the Palm House which was even better.

We are fussy and we have stayed in some great hotels but this has to be at the top of the list. Excellent!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple