“My favourite so far”

Ranked #11 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
London, United Kingdom
“My favourite so far”
Reviewed April 19, 2008

We spent just one night in the American Colony but this was my best experience in Israel. All staff spoke good English and were generally very helpful. Restaurant prices were moderate ($109 for dinner for two including wine) and the food was excellent. Breakfast was served in a beautiful sunlit courtyard with lots of sparrows flying around. I loved it! While rooms in this hotel are expensive I found that the hotel services in general (private guided tours, restaurant, etc.) are affordable. I was quite disenchanted with Israel but I would gladly go back to this hotel.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank GoosyO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
belgium
Reviewed April 15, 2008

The highlight of the American Colony is the building, a lovely Ottoman house with a courtyard (cafe / restaurant, weaher permitting) and a garden.

While the location is good to explore East Jerusalem, the immediate surroundings of the hotel are somewhat neglected. There is a mosque right next to the hotel, and you will hear the call for prayer at night from many rooms.

I stayed in a Deluxe Pasha room in the original building with a large terrace overlooking the small pool. Because it was cold, I could not use the terrace, but this would be nice in spring and summer. The room was large, well furnished, with high ceilings and a very elegant bathroom with a free standing bath and a separate shower.

The hotel has a small but good fitness room overlookign the pool and a small spa.

The food is ok but nothing special, and I expected much better.

The service is not bad, but it is not outstanding, and I was surprised to learn that the hotel is managed by the company that runs the Lausanne Palace. It certainly was not like a 5-star Swiss hotel.

The smoking ban is not properly implemented, since smoking is allowed at least in the bar.

Overall, I was impressed by the charm of the place but the service and food were disappointing.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank topsmed
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed March 1, 2008

I love uniqueness, and this hotel certainly gave me what I like.

I booked a pasha room, and I felt in Turkey or La Alhambra. The bed was big and comfortable and the bathroom had the heated floor which was excellent since it was snowing when I arrived.

The hotel is a piece of history, and it felt wonderful to be sharing part of it during my stay. The whole building is interesting and has photos and displays throughout to show what it used to be (first a castle for a pasha and his wives, then a hospital).

Breakfast was good. There was variety, and the service was excellent. I had dinner at the main restaurant once and it was DELICIOUS. I had lunch one day at the pool cafe and it was also very good. It has a bar that seemed very lively, but I was always too tired to try it.

Another thing I liked was that internet was included and there was a business floor with several computers conveniently located (not one next to each other). Nice touch.

The location was also very good. A 10-15 min. walk from Damascus gate.

There is a mosque very close by, so you can hear the call to pray early in the morning. I got used to it, but if you're a light sleeper it might bother you.

I wanted to rent a car, and the concierge took care of everything for me. The service was great in every aspect.

On a different note. If you're buying anything, don't say you're staying here. Prices go up IMMEDIATELY.

I loved the room, the service, the food, the location, and the building itself. Great stay.

• Liked — The room and the heated floor in the bathroom.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Psykiya
paris
Reviewed February 15, 2008

The hotel itself is a real gem, an old Ottoman palace with nooks and corners that take several hours to explore. It's a real haven of peace in an otherwise hectic city, yet is a quick 10 minute walk to the Damascus gate. The mostly Arab staff is very friendly. The breakfast is fine, nothing special. The courtyard is a very pleasant place for lunch. We never ate dinner there. The hotel has a real buzz because it's a favorite with journalists, UN staff, politicians. It frequently hosts cultural events. We were quoted a different price upon arrival than we'd agreed by phone but after a bit of friendly negotiation we had a better room at a lower price. You are in the Levant after all. There's a small but pleasant pool.

• Liked — the building itself, the comfort, the rooms, the history
  • Disliked — the cost. it ain't cheap.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marcopolo1964
Texas
Reviewed January 30, 2008

We selected this hotel because of the reviews on websites like this. We were a party of six and stayed in two Pasha Classic Deluxe Rooms on the first floor, not facing the pool or gardens. The room was fantastic, though we had 4 crammed in our room with two extra beds. Unique, boutique hotel that caters to diplomats and media types, we proudly enjoyed this historic facility in the arab quarter. Being from Texas, I'm sure we stood out with our kids, but the staff welcomed us, made us feel at home, and actually enjoyed our visit there. As Jews looking at all the sites, the American Colony Hotel provided a different look and feel that we cherished. We were at the hotel during Christmas and enjoyed the chocolate santas on our pillows and the embroidered towels given as gifts to us all. The staff was extremely helpful in getting taxis, suggesting great restaurants and even exchanging money. The room service was impeccable and very reasonable. A meal for a family of four with desert and all the fixins for under 80 dollars! They have a very cool bar that we visited. I met the famous Ibrahim Bartender and the atmosphere is a must. We should have gotten a third room for the 6 of us. My wife needs more room in the bathroom for all of her items, the flat screen tv and the room amenities were very nice and top notch.

We preferred this hotel over the larger, bus-filled mega-hotels that most tourist visit. Down side - don't get your jeans and T-shirts laundered there - we could have purchased new!

If you haven't planned your trip...you must look at Desert Eco Tours and Joza Wilf as your personal tourguide!!!! There is no other way to see so much without such a great tour outfit.

The food was good and the service was even better. Breakfast is as close to america as you will get...as close to arabia as you can get, and the Weiner Schnitzel was better than in Germany!! My 9 yr & 13 yr had a great time.

Finally, the hotel staff made our visit seemless and effortless. They didn't treat us like loud Texans, they treated us like venerable ambassadors. Enjoy!

• Liked — The ambiance and fantastic staff
  • Disliked — size of bathroom
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank DavidNSanAntonio
Washington DC
Reviewed January 13, 2008

We stayed at the American Colony on Christmas Eve. After a long flight, we arrived at the American Colony at 8.00AM for a 2.00PM check-in. Although we could not check in early, the staff was MORE THAN ACCOMODATING. They offered us a full breakfast, parking, and a tour of the Old City. They had also arranged for a bus to go to Bethlehem for Christmas Eve Mass and offered us seats on the bus, free of charge. We had non-working international cell phone with us. The staff took the cell phone, bought a sim card, contacted "orange" and got the phone working for our trip in Israel. All we did was say "how do we get our cell phone to work here," and the staff did it all for us. The Cellar Bar in the basement is totally hip, swanky and relaxing. Overall, it was perfect. We could not have had a better time.

• Liked — The Service, The Restaraunt, The Bar, The Room.
  • Disliked — The location.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shaulie
Alabama
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I took a trip to Jersualem, Israel in October. It was an incredibly spiritual experience for me and I cant wait to go back. I stayed at the American Colony hotel in East Jerusalem. Its a beautiful hotel and the staff were extremely nice. I hired a local guide to take me around the city. Firas Amad was an excellent guide and was very knowledgable about all of the Christian sites. I cant say enough wonderful things about him. His family also owns a hotel called the Holy Land Hotel.

1 Thank sitestosee