The American Colony Hotel
$230
$218
Official Site
$218
Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem(Jerusalem)(Great Value!)
$136
Agoda.com
$600
Waldorf Astoria
1,165 results
All reviewscellar bareast jerusalempasha roompalm houselawrence of arabiasummer gardenleading hotels of the worlddamascus gateold citycall to prayermain buildinghistoric hoteljunior suitemodern amenitieswonderful hotelnice poolan upgrade
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Nice to be back again, something never change. I spent great time at your place last July, and I enjoyed the atmosphere as always. I was especially pleased that you finally have a good size swimming pool. I love the laid back atmosphere at the hotel, and relaxed environment. It's a nice hide away from Jerusalem's hectic life. If you are looking for a typical 5 star hotel this is not, the hotel has other qualities. Thanks again for a nice stay and I'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KareMartin
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Thank you so much for inviting us to stay at your hotel, The American Colony earlier this month.

From the moment we entered this centrally located, yet at the same time secluded hideaway, my husband and I were amazed at its beauty and authenticity.

We were greeted immediately and the woman at the desk knew exactly who we were…(the complimentary glass of champagne was, albeit unnecessary, a very nice touch).

We made our way to our room and were delighted by what we saw, everything a couple would love to have for a relaxing weekend.

Our days were spent lounging by your luxurious pool filled with sparkling clear water and a server ready to bring us food and drink at any time.

My only complaint was we were unable to stay longer.

Thank you so much for your generosity…we will be along for another visit in the future.

All the best,
Rachel Golan.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ednodazo4
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've been lucky enough to stay at the American Colony on a number of occasions. It's got charm, character, history--and it's comfortable.

Be forewarned though: This is NOT your typical 5-star experience. If that's what you're seeking, another property will probably be a better fit.

The American Colony, however, is simply unique. When you stay here, you feel woven into the tapestry of Jerusalem--not the Disneyland version, but the rough and tumble version that is a mash of many different cultures and religions. The setting is beautiful, with labyrinthian caverns and the design of each room unique. And you know that like perhaps only one or two other Jerusalem properties, like the King David, some of the world's great dignitaries have wandered (and wander) here too.

But it's luxury is understated. I find this charming, in keeping with the theme of the hotel. And quirks which I would find unacceptable in other properties, I overlook (it is, after all, an old palace converted in to a hotel). Others seeking opulence wouldn't find this place a great fit.

If you're seeking character with comfort, if you want to truly touch the complexity of Jerusalem, if you want beautiful stay in a place that is truly unique, the American Colony fits the bill. It is without question one of my favorite hotels in the world. Enjoy and explore. Breakfast in the courtyard. The summer garden bar and the winter cellar bar.

If, however, you're looking for a cookie-cutter 5-start experience, or if you're looking for a base for touristic site-seeing, or if you're uncomfortable staying in East Jerusalem, look elsewhere--you might not have the experience you seek.

The drawbacks to the Colony I should mention:

Location: It's a 10 minute walk to the Old City. It's not close to much else most visitors to Jerusalem would want to access. So if you want to go to Ben Yehuda street, for example, you'll need to cab it. A short ride and a cheap fare--but a cab ride nonetheless.

Food: Their weekend buffet is great. Their regular breakfast is, I suppose, adequate. And their normal menu is adequate too--except definitely very much overpriced for the quality of food you get. Considering most stays at the Colony are cheaper than it's competition, that doesn't bother me so much when I'm forced to eat at the hotel. I just wish they would put more attention to improving the quality of their food.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I had always wanted to stay at the American Colony—I had eaten in their lovely courtyard before—and on a recent trip to Jerusalem I finally did. The hotel is not cheap, but worth every penny.
We had made reservations for one of their Pasha rooms and got upgraded to a Deluxe Pasha on the second floor of the East House. The room was spacious, impeccably clean, had a balcony overlooking the gardens, and a beautiful bathroom with shower and tub. The hotel is old-world luxurious without being pretentious, the atmosphere is relaxed, the staff very friendly, helpful, gracious.
Starting the day with breakfast in the courtyard is a treat by itself and ending the day, after a dip in the pool, with a cocktail and dinner in the garden can’t be beat. If you can, spend the extra $$ and splurge; you’ll enjoy it.
Oh, and I loved the fact that the streetcar is less than a two minute walk from the hotel and get’s you to the Old City and Jaffo Street in no time…for just a few Shekels.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

In the Midst of noisy eastern Jerusalm lies this oasis like hotel with beautiful gardens, exotic living rooms, full of character and quality rooms and delicious breakfast. Too bad we only spent there one night. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple