“A unique hotle in East Jerusalem”

The American Colony Hotel
Ranked #12 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed December 26, 2011

This was not my first visit to this unique hotel, and I was looking forward to staying there on a special family occasion. They've become part of Leading Hotels of the World, so my expectations were quite high. Overall we had a good stay, but it was somewhat below our expectations. The rooms, which are quite unique (in the main building they are part of what used to be a Turkish palace), are relatively small. Maintenance could be improved, and there is noise starting early in the morning from the nearby Mosque. Prices are quite high, and therefore I rated the value as average.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the side facing the Mosque.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Aviad M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed December 18, 2011

I have travelled around the globe and stayed in some beautiful well organised hotels, the American Colony Hotel tops them all. The location is very close to the old city of Jerusalem. The hotel is a magnificent old building complex with well appointed spacey beautiful rooms an excellent Restaurant offering international cuisine and a very cosy bar with the most fantastic selections of whiskeys. The employees are going the extra mile to exceed your expectations with a professional yet very friendly touch. We stayed in that hotel for three days and we were wondering when the General Manager is taking his brake, this fellow was always around. I congratulate him and his team for a job very well done. We all have decided that we will be back in March 2011.
PS. The Christmas decoration is simply gorgeous and underlines the spirit of festivity in this exciting breathtaking city of Jerusalem.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 61 which has the biggest bathroom that I have ever seen in a hotel. This room has a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We stayed at the American Colony in late November 2011. Beautiful setting, great breakfast buffet, but our room was our least favorite on our 3 week Middle East trip. The rooms were very simple with an old bed and bed linens. The bathroom lighting was terrible...luckily I didn't have to shave here. If you want to be close to the Damascus gate this is a good place to stay. The highly recommended gift shop is a rip off. He overcharged us for post cards and stamps. I'm used to "Hyatt" service and unfortunately, the American Colony doesn't quite match up.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ted C
General M, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and the positive comments you made regarding the hotels setting and buffet breakfast.
I was concerned to read about the problems you encountered in your room. Regarding the lighting in the bathroom. We use energy saving bulbs throughout the hotel, and these can take up to 2 minutes to provide maximum light. There are also two switches just outside the bathroom, one for general bathroom lighting and one for over the mirror and basin area.
Regarding the bed and linens. This is most unusual as we replace both our beds and bedding at regular intervals, however I will be reviewing these specific comments with my Housekeeping Manager and his team to ensure no oversight occurred.
Regarding the Giftshop. The shops within the hotel set their own prices but they should reflect normal market prices. Although we have never been made aware of any of our shops overcharging, we will take immediate steps to check and rectify this based on your review.
Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion we did not meet the high standards to which we aspire and I look forward to welcoming you back in person to the American Colony in the near future, and to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Yours sincerely,
Paolo Fetz

Reviewed December 13, 2011

The old hotel was as charming as anticipated, and location was ideal. Food was very good, and available every day. The negatives are about the bill. Initially, I was told there were no rooms with two beds, even though I had reserved a double and specified two beds. After several minutes of negotiating, I was told that because I was a first-time guest, I could have a room with two beds for $100 more per night. I had prepaid through a third-party agency, so I agreed and was surprised at check-out three days later to be presented with a bill for the total room charges. After calling attention to the error, I waited for a correct bill, only to find yet another glaring error - a charge for airport pickup by the hotel "driver" for which I had grossly overpaid in cash.

Room Tip: Not a good place for people with mobility issues. Ask for top floor for best views.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank tthfairy
General M, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2011

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the American Colony Hotel on Tripadvisor, from your stay with us. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is positive or negative, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I am most concerned to read of the unusual issues you experienced during check out. We pride ourselves on the standard of product and service we provide at The American Colony Hotel, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion.
Regarding the room charge, we have protocols in place to ensure that when a room is prepaid through a third party, they cannot be re-invoiced through the hotel.
The airport pick up charge was a mistake made in the information provided to the driver. We have negotiated a discounted rate for pre ordered pick ups from the airport. If the driver is not aware of the pre order, he charges the regular rate.
I have already met with my Front Office Manager, and she has addressed her team on both of these issues.

Yours sincerely,

Paolo Fetz

Reviewed December 11, 2011

The hotel is very nice, less than 15 minutes walk from the old city (damascus gate). Very quiet, excellent and attentive service. You even get a glass of champagne at check in.

The room size vary. I had two different rooms. The first one was a standard hotel room, comfortable, cozy, etc. The second was gigantic, with a private terrace and 15 feet high ceiling. Superbe.

The breakfast is very good but exactly the same each morning.

The one downside is the price, it is a bit expensive but if you can afford it I would not hesitate.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This hotel is proud to be into arabs side and want to give a different approach of Jerusalem.
So if you like to play secret agent or having some fun for non regular hotel experience, this is your place. rooms are good without being amazing but sometinh there into the air is very unique.
One thing anyway, be selective with your taxi driver. You can say no to someone , its not racism its safety

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Note there are few buildigs in the hotel
Look for the older ones-those with views to the gardens

Room Tip: Central court rooms are the biggest but might be noisy
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple