“A charming hotel...”

Ranked #10 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Newport Beach CA
“A charming hotel...”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We spent 4 nights in a Pasha Suite last night and had a wonderful stay. The hotel is so charming..the garden bar restaurant was so lovely for dinner. The common rooms were like one stepped back in time. Full of beautiful antiques. Our room had 20 foot painted ceilings and a view of the pool. The buffet breakfast was wonderful. Free wifi and a great pool. Only a 15 minute walk to the old city. 3 great shops including an English Bookstore. Charm and yet all the creature comforts. The air conditioning was perfect.
Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2011

What a 5-star hotel should be. Except they need to replace the mattresses.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mess0277
London
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This is a great place to stay away from the hustle bustle of the old city but close enough to pop in and out with ease (15 min walk). The pool is great, the gardens are beautiful and the front desk staff are lovely BUT, like other reviews before this one, this hotel does rest on its laurels.

The place is historically old but the decor, although historic, is looking a little tired and nostalgic. I booked a room for 200 usd so I guess i got the cheap noisy room overlooking a taxi washing carpark and small construction site. (2nd floor). This was OK except for the fact that i could hear the slightest noise from the hallway and the other rooms. Waking up to people putting keys in the door is pretty extreme. I am a very heavy sleeper so it was loud. The room itself was very large and "ottoman styled" so I was fairly happy considering my price.

The service staff in the restaurants are like robots! They are all smiles and greetings but lack the basics for a busy professional business/ leisure hotel. They seat you constantly without a menu then come back 10 mins later with one before running away as fast as they can. They are polite but don't really engage which is slightly odd for the style of hotel. When they bring your food they run away really quickly before you can ask for parmesan cheese, ketchup etc. this sounds pedantic but they don't come back in view for another 10 mins (it's a large courtyard) and your pasta is cold and burger ketchupless. Israel is expensive for food in comparision to London so when I am paying £17 for a burger maybe I expect a little more service but they don't seem to be too intuitive given how many waiters there are (they were not busy). This wasn't a one off because it happened for all 3 days. Getting the bill takes another 20 minutes too (quite frustrating when you have meetings and things to see etc.). The service by the pool is weird. They serve one person and literally run away as fast as they can before you can grab their attention. Again 3 days of observations rather than one offs or shift changes etc. so I think it's pretty accurate to say that.

Overall, this is a good hotel to relax in during the day (expect noisy sleep) but make sure you get it at a good rate because it doesn't seem to have the service you would expect from a "Leading Small Hotels of the World" hotel. I have stayed in quite a few int he chain and this has the lowest service levels.

This review is not dissimilar to other reviews on this site so I think you can take this as fairly accurate.

If you do stay, the bookshop is fantastic and the bbq garden is a nice setting for drinks & dinner.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank stefanok
simonklyne, General Manager's representative at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the American Colony Hotel on Tripadvisor. I thank you for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I am most concerned to read that we have not met the high levels of service to which we aspire at our Hotel during your trip. Our Courtyard is famous for its tranquil and intimate setting and many of our Guests enjoy the unhurried service we provide there. However, I have taken careful note of the concerns you have raised regarding our Courtyard and Pool restaurants and I will be taking up these issues with my Food and Beverage Manager.

I was also quite surprised to hear that you had noise problems from the corridor and adjacent rooms. All of rooms are suitably soundproofed and it would be of great assistance to me to know which room you stayed in so that we can check the soundproofing in that room. Please feel free to contact me at gm@amcol.co.il.

Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion we did not meet the high standards to which we aspire and I hope to be able to welcome you back in person to the American Colony in the near future, and to restore your faith in the hotel and us. Please feel free to notify me directly prior to your arrival.

Yours sincerely,

Paolo Fetz
Indianapolis
Reviewed June 18, 2011

This hotel feels like something out of Casa Blanca! And if you ignore the fact that you're in "the seam" that divides the hostilities, it actually feels very peaceful. And actually the hotel is peaceful. The only major drawback is that hotel is located about 20 minutes walk from the most popular atractions. However, the walk is fascinating (and probably intimidating to many) because it takes you right down the road that separates Ultra-Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods from Palestinian ones. As for our room, the size of the room was good, but it was not finished or maintained to the standard the hotel aspires to. The breakfast buffett was good and had a lot of variety. The restraunt and bar were good and popular. I liked this place, but we paid almost $300 and the room wasn't woth that much.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
simonklyne, General Manager's representative at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your review of our hotel and the positive comments you made regarding the hotels ambience, environment and service.
Regarding your room. We believe your stay was in our Palm House annexe and we are pleased to be able to report that this area is due to be completely renovated starting this Summer. All the rooms in this section of the hotel are currently discounted by two categories due to the upcoming renovation.
When the renovations begin, this building will be closed. This is a separate building and will have no effect on the rest of the hotel with no noise, dirt or disturbance to our Guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future, and especially to our new Palm House once the renovations are complete.
Yours sincerely,
Paolo Fetz
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Last night we had a party of 15 rooms and a special dinner in the pasha room. Everything about this hotel is great. Exceptionally beautiful and the best service I have experienced in Israel.
Kevork was extremely professional in organising our dinner , and Diana was also very pleasant in handling our reservation. The only thing I can say negatively about the place is that I do not think the rooms are worth the money that is charged. My superior room at $570 or so is probably the most expensive room ( for what it is) I have ever been in. But the rest of the hotel makes up for it, including the to die for pool...

• Stayed June 2011
Reviewed June 11, 2011

This hotel has been called an oasis and there isn't a better description. I stayed twice. My first room (no. 56) was exceptional - large, elegant, and had a balcony overlooking a lovely garden. The second time I stayed the room was on the ground floor of another building in the complex and while adequate it was not as wonderful (nor as expensive). The restaurant food is very good, the breakfasts are excellent. Laundry service was prompt. The courtyard garden with tables for casual dining is a place that invites relaxation and great conversation. The history of the hotel from origins to the present is fascinating. The American Colony is an experience, not just another hotel stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2011

It's a really charming Hotel, The staff is very helpful and the rooms are beautiful.
The breakfast served in the courtyard is not only excellent but the environment of having dinner and breakfast in the courtyard makes an experience in Jerusalem.
The only issue we had was that the bathroom is needing some renovations.

Location wise is walking distance from the old Jerusalem

I would highly recommend this hotel for any person that I know traveling to Jerusalem.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends