“A real shame, this could be a much better hotel”
Review of Zion Hotel

Zion Hotel
Ranked #72 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Ashburn, Virginia
“A real shame, this could be a much better hotel”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Not even sure where to begin with the review.

Checking in - the clerk at the front desk was a nice enough fellow, but he was easily frustrated by the whole process. First he charged the USD amount as NIS, which wasn't a big deal... I gave him the difference in shekels (but didn't get a receipt for it, ugh.) However, while trying to enter this in the system, he wound up punching in the wrong room # and as a result charged my credit card for 9 nights instead of the 1 we were staying... close to USD$1000. They eventually did manage to cancel the charge, but I was without those funds for almost a week, and they didn't offer us any compensation for the inconvenience.

As for the facilities - the room (a triple) was packed in with 3 "beds" - which were basically mattresses on platforms a few centimeters off the floor. The TV was mounted close to the ceiling and had no remote. It smelled of smoke and G-d only knows what else. Had to open the window to breathe, which meant we got to hear all of the music and noise coming up from Ben Yehuda below.

The sad thing is, this could be a really good hotel with the right investment and care. It has a great location off Ben Yehuda street, close to the light rail - and is above a couple of decent restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: don't expect what you see in the photos.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank slave2mybulldog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

It was the best choice as the hotel is very easy to reach from the central bus station with the light rail. Located in Yaffo Merkaz so the city center. Close to the shopping area and lot of restaurants are in the area. Only 10minutes walk from the Jaffa-Gate the entrance to the old city on Jerusalem. Only 15minutes walking distance from the market and to a mall close to the Old City. The staff is really friendly and helpful. Available and answering the questions. Nice breakfast and there was tea, coffee or water on the lobby.
The room could be more cleaner especially the carpet. Because of the busy area lot of coffees, restaurants it was very noisy. The wifi access worked but was not sufficient strong in my room. The shower was not separated in the bathroom so was challenging to avoid making a flood there.
Overall I liked it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank GyFlo
denmark
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

The Room we Got was a last minute deal, and judging from pictures it was not that bad. When we Were assigned our Room we Were in for a surprise. It was very very small, dirty, worn Down and the nightstand and table has nikotin marks as Well as cigarette Burns all over the place! I Will never go back despite the friendly old man in the reception. It 's not his fault this place is that bad!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank ibizagirliedk

Travelers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This hotel is a good choice for those looking for a place to crash after a night out. If you are looking for a quiet/cozy place for your Jerusalem visit I would not suggest this hotel. The hotel is very noisy at times, and the entire facility dirty. However, staff were very nice. Location was very good for restaurants/nightlife, and the old city within easy walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlaskaMan2006
aalborg
Reviewed April 3, 2013

my friend booked a 10 night standard double for 1080 $ non refundable through booking.com---at the Zion Hotel which is an absolute nightmare-very noisy even at 3.30am -when we arrived after a long flight and a 90min drive from the airport

Shaviness already from the entrancedoor -dirt -no elevator and no luggage help where our first impression

they gave us an "emergency room " uncleaned -dirty towels and bedsheets-to the backyard without space enough to place our luggage and unable to close the windows an compressor running somewhere and streetworks

since we were unable to sleep we got up 3 hours later and hoped to get some coffe -only boiled water and somthing like coffeepowder for selvservice-a terrible taste so we went to a bar nearby
and got real good coffee

when the manager MR. Claude at 8am arrived we got an even smaller room on the roof just as dirty ++++++no other room free he said and the fact that the Broken toilet seat was dangerous at night didnt impress him-he just called me a complainer

the breakfast was the same old cut bread and a few cereals of the ceapeast quality and not fresh

I contacted booking.com without any reaction -3 days later also on the local phone -only they will contact the hotel

the hotel is run down -even on the floortiles in the breakfastroom are loose and uneven and the tableclothes are dirty and uncleaned

we met a turkish couple who said they make their own cleaning as she was missing a few things
after 2 nights

nothing works there -sometimes not even the hot water and in Europe would any hotel inspection or control had this hotel shut down -mould in the bathrooms and never? cleaned aircondition and heating devices

the location is cental and some of the service staff is friendly

but the price-and what you get is the worst I ever experienced in all over the world in 50 years

Room Tip: never book a non refundable as the manager there has taken the money and finds everything is OK-no c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gerdt_13
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed March 3, 2013

In connection with my daughters wedding we stayed at the hotel. I had some jewelry with me -
unfortunately there is no safe, but I trusted the hotel and for the first 2 days I had my little bag hidden in the suitcase (not locked - my fault). For the remaining days I asked my friend to have it in her suite case - this time locked. But it was to late!!! - from my bag a heavy gold bracelet and a gold chain with a gold cross - was taken.
Worse to come - I contacted the hotel several times, but they didn't even bother to answer me. Also a member of my family was personally there twice - but no result - no investigation - no nothing. I am aware that this will not bring my bracelet and chain back, but it may be a lesson to travelers - and the hotel, they should a least answer mails
My advise - book another hotel!
To be fair I will give it one star for the location.

Room Tip: Definitely find another hotel! !!!!!!
Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Ina B
Virginia
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Zion Hotel is a good price and a good distance from the Old City. You can see the front of the hotel from the main street (Jaffa Road) so none of that roaming around back streets looking for some tiny alley way. If you arrive by bus you can take the tram to Jaffa Center and get off and there's the hotel. It's a 5-10 minute walk down to the Old City, and a quick tram ride back up to the hotel at the end of the day if you're tired.
The hotel itself is nice- not fancy but has all the basics you need. A decent, standard breakfast, good size room, bathroom, bed, etc. The room I stayed in was a little bare- for a "superior" room, as they called it, they could put a painting or a print up on the wall for some color. The hotel is above a restaurant with good food, and plenty of great bars and restaurants around.
The front desk helped us arrange a tour to Masada and Dead Sea; very helpful and nice. A 5 Star hotel it is not, but then, you're not paying 5 star prices. A good value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple