“A Welcoming and Safe Kibbutz”

Ramat Rachel Resort
Ranked #44 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I visited Israel for the first time and stayed in Jerusalem at Hotel Ramat Rachel for 5 nights. I was with a large (42) tour group consisting of five pastors, and many members of teir congregations. I really didn't quite understand the concept of a kibbutz until our tour guide, Doron, explained just how it worked. I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived and were warmly greeted by hotel personnel. The accommodations were clean, modern, bright, and made me feel safe. The food is excellent with many choices each day. There was a wonderful selection of salads and desserts. I especially like many of the middle eastern fare and was delighted to try something different each day. Breakfasts included things that I enjoy such as bacon and eggs, pancakes, waffels, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, etc. There is a gift shop that is fun, a jewelry store, and more. I didn't have time to do other things as we were out early and back to the hotel later in the day. The hotel lobby is lovely and modern. I highly recommend Hotel Ramat Rachel as an excellent place to stay while in Israel. This was a once in a lifetime experience for me.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank windy64

Reviewed December 29, 2011

It's not in the city, about 10 km from the city center, but it's a nice and clean Hotel.
The rooms are new renovated, medium size, most of them with a wonderful view to the south, Betlehem and Herodion can be seen on bright days.
The breakfast is simple but good, not a lot of variety, like many other Hotels in Israel, but enough to start the day.

Room Tip: Ask for view
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We were totally overjoyed with our hotel. We had done an overnight tour through Thomson cruises and had no idea until the time we arrived as to what hotel we would be staying at.
The room was huge and the view overlooked the city of Bethlehem, it was an awesome view.
Our room was very modern, comfortable and had everything we needed to make our overnight stay as comfortable as possible. There was tea and coffee facilities in the room and the television had quite a few British channels.

We had our evening meal and our breakfast at the hotel and found the quality and choice available excellent.

If we were to visit this area again we would most definitely stay here again

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights for friends wedding.
Well run large kibbutz hotel with wonderful views of Judean Hills. ,Rooms recently updated and include safe in every room so no idea why previous reviewer should have any money stolen from room!
Large pool area and own buffet restaruant.
Hotel caters mainly for tour groups and is a little outside Jerusalem but is certainly very good value

Room Tip: some rooms have Jacuzzi
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This year I did not stay in one of the rooms but attende confrence in the different halls dailly from 29th september 2011 to 10th october 2011.
I found the whole environment breath taking and discovered the different gardens I did not get to see last year . I found them really beautiful.
The restaurant too is good.there is constant supply of whatever you want perticularly water. In preparation for Yom Kippur there was notice for all to see at the entrance and special lunch pack for anyone who would need.
I had special lunch arrenged for a group of us in one of the gardens.
It was nice watching the waiters trying hard to meet up with the demand.
They made a good effort and I must commend them for that.
Another group of workers who need commendation is the cleaners.
I watched how the come in intermitently. And clean up after unendind users of the toilets and replenish supply of tissue
They at reguler time close up one area so they can clean up properly.
The array of Sar er tour buses. In the spacious car pack was another thing that facinated me.
Here there was space to accommodate any number of buses unlike many others
They had shops internet facilities and currecy exchange center.
Their phone boot was very helpful to my friends and I
Am looking forward to booking my room earlier next year so that I would not miss staying here

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I stayed at Ramat Rachel in August of 2010 with a colleague and a group of 14 of our students as part of a month long trip to Israel. We had planned on spending two weeks at Ramat Rachel while participating in archaeological research. We left after the first week. On the first day, while we were at the archaeological site, someone broke into one of our rooms and stole nearly $200. After that, we all took our valuables to the site each day. This was fortunate as some of our rooms were entered and our possessions gone through and things taken almost every day we were at the hotel.

While these daily break ins and thefts were disturbing enough, the response of the hotel was truly horrific. They did not take the break ins seriously, said that they trusted their staff, and said that it must be someone from our group. Our schedule was well known to the staff so anyone could have entered our rooms while we were at the dig site - and someone did. Additionally, part of our group was in the hostel, which uses typical keys to access rooms, and part was in the hotel, which uses magnetic swipe cards to access rooms. We had thefts from both areas. Finally, during the remainder of our travels in Israel, we did not have a single problem with security. Clearly, the problem was Ramat Rachel.

If you do stay here - something I would never recommend - at least be sure to stay in the hotel. The hostel is run down and ill kept - and I sometimes live in the jungle in a tent for months at a time, so it is not simply that I need luxury.

Please do yourself a favor and find somewhere else to stay. There are many, many options.

Room Tip: Avoid the hostel at all costs.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank omanskme
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The entrance captivated me. I could not stop myself from taking 15 snap shots of the 3 trees on the stand.I love it .
The whole place is really very big and fit for the huge crow of pilgrims.i hope to return my visit again this year when I attand the Jerusalem house of prayer for all Nations in a few days time

• Stayed: October 2010