“Something has changed for the better”
Review of Hotel Prima Park

Hotel Prima Park
Ranked #27 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I don't know what happened to this hotel since I was last here but they have revamped the lobby and all the public areas. The rooms have also been redone.
Some one seems to be doing things right as the service has changed 180 degrees. The staff are freindly are are dressed like profesionals.
the rooms are a delight and clean.
Our check in was profesional as the front office manager Oren was very helpful.
The food I admite was standard hotel food but the staff try and i understand that the kitchen us also being refurbished.

all in all a nice place to stay

• Stayed: October 2013
bh3y, Manager at Hotel Prima Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Wow!

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed and wonderful review.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Prima Park and that you enjoyed your time in Jerusalem.

Hope to see you again soon in Jerusalem!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed there in June 2013. I don't know where to start detailing the bad experience there. First of all: notice that this is in Jerusalem: everything is pervaded by religious fervor, often in a zealous way, so for instance NOTHING works on the Shabbath and everywhere you can only find Kosher meals (so, no salami and cheese for breakfast). I will not consider these aspects since this is not related to the hotel but to the city.

Nevertheless the hotel is terrible.

Location: quite bad. Far from anything nice you could find in Jerusalem, there is only the light train stop you can rely upon.

The service is easily the worst one I have ever found. Arrogant, unhelpful, lazy people at the desk and at the dining room. I had been warned about the "temper" of some Israeli people so, as an Italian, I just started to behave like them, speaking loudly in an aggressive way and waving my hands and the like... THEN they listen to you, but otherwise don't expect really a lot of help. When I first moved in the room, the window was broken and couldn't close very well (the hotel is close to the highway, so terribly noise outside if the window doesn't close well). I asked if I could change my room and the guy at the desk (who NEVER made eye contact, by the way) looked a bit pissed. He called a maintenance worker to fix the window. The maintenance guy worked on the window for like one hour and then he said the problem was too complicate to fix at the moment. Only then they gave me another room.

No internet in the rooms, not even wifi. In a 4-stars hotel? In 2013? In a non-third world country? Really?

Very noisy. The staff does nothing to enforce somehow the quiet hours, but also sound insulation is quite bad. Even the minifridge is noisy, had to unplug it during the night to sleep.

Rooms are very warm (it's Israel after all) and air conditioning... doesn't work!

That's all for now but I'm pretty sure I forgot something.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank ItaGuy83
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I don't know where to start. Ok, this hotel isn't expensive but it's still poor value. I thought it would be ok because the location was convenient for my work colleague to pick me up each morning, but what price to put on convenience? i arrived during sabbath and couldn't get anything to eat for 24 hours, anyone arriving from the airport after 8.30 has to order in pizza with the help of the security guards and their personal mobile phones because the duty manager just doesn't give a damn and doesn't want to help. You may have travelled for ten hours and need a meal, who cares? . when i arrived there where no towels in my sub standard room and it took two hours to get some and then only after a personal visit to the reception desk. The desk staff are arrogant and high handed, you shouldn't ask questions because you should have lived in Jerusalem all your life and should know everything already, even a request for a map met with a sheet being slapped on the counter. Everywhere in the world that I've stayed the reception staff at least have the courtesy to draw a circle on the map showing your current location, but not here! Go figure it out for yourself or get lost, quite literally! And don't come back! Don't worry, I won't!
They claim to have a restaurant but some nights it's booked out for sabbath parties or weddings, so there's nowhere to eat Nd needless to say theres no room service. The hotel is not in walking distance to any shops or restaurants so you're kinda stuck, or dependent on taxis, which don't operate on the sabbath apart from for a high rate. On the upside it is close to the light train, which also shuts down for the sabbath (Friday afternoon through to Saturday night).
To finish everything off nicely it was demanded that I pay an extra night accommodation, when I had already paid, fortunately I had my paperwork with me and was able to demonstrate payment, so after being harassed for half an hour I was let off the hook but no apology. When booking on the Internet they say their check out time is 12. In the hotel they say it is 11 and make you grovel for the extra hour. These people need to travel themselves to find out what travellers really need, alternately they need to give up on the hospitality industry altogether. As a side note, I found everyone else in Israel to be be terribly pleasant and hospitable. The old city is fascinating, the place feels as safe as any European city might and the history of the place is truly stunning. Visit israel but avoid the park hotel which is now known as the prima park hotel. A regrettable experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 292fiona292
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed here for a two week conference a few months ago and it was a disaster. There was no hot water for a few days, no *water* for a day (imagine when you think it can't get worse with no hot water), and no heat for several days (it was the middle of winter and unusually cold). The bathroom smelt of faeces (backed up from higher floors) and the rooms were incredibly dirty. The staff were unapologetic and incredibly rude. I would have left, but I had already paid for the hotel through my conference host. It got so bad (for everyone at the conference) that the conference organizer had to have a stern conversation with the hotel manager.

Anyway, it seems as if this hotel only does large group bookings these days because they would never get any other business, but please, if you're responsible for booking a tour group to Jerusalem and you're looking for a cheap deal, please do NOT settle for the Park. It's a disaster and pretty much ruined my impressions of the city.

The napkins in their breakfast hall have the slogan "Park Hotel - A unique experience" ... yeah, it was a uniquely horrible experience. At least they don't lie?

Room Tip: Upper floors are much better because they don't stick of faeces.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bgannie
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hotel has been taken over by the good quality Prima chain since early 2013. Since then they are renovating it.

Stayed here as the guide of a students group in May and was bitterly disappointed. We had of cause the non-renovated rooms on floor 2. Here we did not have construction noise, but the overall maintenance of these rooms was very poor, and cleaning could have been better.

The meeting room for the group looked like a starage place for carpets and chairs.

No section of the hotel had been fully completed the renovation and therefore there was an athmosphere of a construction site.

The reception tried its best, but could not solve the poor maintenance issues of the rooms.

The hotel claims to be 4 stars, make it 2!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I have been to quite a few questionable hotels in the past, but never one like this.

To put it in a nutshell, it's a forgotten relic which seems only to live off its functions room.

The rooms are an absolute disaster, with cabling showing and loose ceiling panels. The rooms are evidently not hoovered either. There were three of us in our room, and the bed I got had barely a mattress, and a wooden board underneath it. Very uncomfortable nights. Colleagues of ours had valuables stolen from their rooms.

The corridors look like something between a hospital and a building site.

The food is mediocre at best.

There seems to be a skeleton team of staff around, and they are a particularly disinterested and at times rude bunch. At one point, they basically told us-their guests- to get out of the reception area, saying they were closing it. What hotel ever closes its reception area.

Altogether, a disastrous place to stay, and in my opinion should be demolished, with a hotel taking its place. Good luck to anyone who tries to stay there.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank edrose1
Reviewed July 19, 2013

There are certainly much better options than this hotel in Jerusalem. If you have to be on the Givat Ram campus, then the location is convenient, but it's not really walking distance from anything else. Some of the floors have been renovated, I think, but the one I stayed on (4th) has not. The rooms are very basic and mine faced the Begin Highway, so it was very noisy all night long. I could also hear everyone who passed by my room in the corridor, even though the people staying on my floor were all very quiet. The hotel gave me one very small bar of soap, which I used to wash my hands, but no soap for the shower -- instead, I got two tubes of shampoo and conditioner, which I hardly needed for a one-night stay on my own. Breakfast was ok, but not as nice as at some of the more exclusive hotels. The bed was comfortable enough (or else I was very tired!) and there was plenty of hot water. The hotel was clean, as well.

In short, this is an ok place to stay if you have business nearby, but I certainly wouldn't stay here on holiday -- it's a hotel with no atmosphere and all and nothing special to offer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business