“Nice staff, great location but difficult to get”

Mount of Olives Hotel
Ranked #77 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice staff, great location but difficult to get”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Great value for money in a very nice location, but difficult to find. The local area is a bit loud and chaotic, but people are very helpful. Staff is very friendly and the rooms are comfortable. For those of you who worry - no, it is not dangerous here.

If you like a beer or hard drink, bring your own as it is difficult to find in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Friendly and helpful staff. The location is simply the best in Jerusalem... Fantastic view of hte city and unique atmosphere. The rooms are clean.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The hotel is located quite nicely on top of the Mount of Olives, and the breakfast was nice and large and very good value for money. However, when we arrived, our reservation had not been registered, although we had exchanged several emails and a confirmation from the owner. He had forgotten to pass it on to the reception apparently. We were lucky and the nice guy at the reception gave us the last room. The room was ok, but very shabby (like the whole place), the beds highly uncomfortable and carpet very old and used. It was ok but no comfort.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bagro77

Travelers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

Kinderhook, New York
Reviewed January 11, 2012

If you are looking for an "earthy", inexpensive, alternative to US style hotels; this is the place. Great location for site seeing. The staff was reserved but friendly and helpful. Free wi-fi. Caters more to groups from less well off countries visiting the Holy Lands. But make no mistake, this is not a Holiday Inn. Clean, basic, local color. We enjoyed our stay, but we're pretty flexible.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RobertA60899
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed in April 2011 at Mount of Olives Hotel (MOH) for one night only, although we originally planned to stay for 9 nights. As we travelled with two children, we booked well in advance and asked to be given a "large family room", but on arrival were accomodated at a regular small one which can best be described as a "whitewashed cave". The toilet facilities were just a step forward from "stone age". The dining area was primitive. We moved out and saved our wonderful stay in both East and West Jerusalem from ruin. MOH is definitely not the place to stay on the sacred Mount of Ascension.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TsarVostokoff
france
Reviewed October 28, 2011

We chose this hotel as a base after having read reviews on trip advisor. The hotel is basic, unsophisticated and in a noisy & grubby arab area of West Jerusalem. The meuzin starts his ritualistic call to prayer at 5.00 am. The traffic noise with horns blaring subsides only marginally during the night. The dogs bark & howl and the head housekeeper has a voice that itself could bring down the walls of Jericho, but dear pilgrim read on--The rooms are functional, clean & well maintained. Plenty of hot water and fresh linen. The staff from the American owner down are to a man (or woman) courteous, helpful friendly and desirous to assist in all your needs.The breakfasts contrary to other comments on here are excellent. Mainly Palestinian dishes but varied, filling and very tasty. We never once required lunch. The chef is a treasure and provided us with a very decent 3 course meal on 3 evenings for approximately £9 about $15. Whilst in a strict muslim area bottled beer & wine is available. We would not hesitate to stay here again and who goes to the Holyland to sit in a hotel?
The welcome is genuine and in stark contrast to the disappointing attitude of most Jewish people in Israel who really only tolerate tourists for the income they provide. In addition this hotel is ideally situated for many 'must see' attractions. A walk down a steep hill takes you through the garden of Gethsemane and the birthpace & shrine of the Virgin Mary. A regular bus service from Damascus gate costs just 90 pence & drops you off outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Away from road and nieghbours barking dogs if possible
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joddwallgate
Oak Park, Michigan
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I stayed 16 days at The Mount of Olives Hotel. My first trip to Jerusalem really my first out of the states.

The good:
The staff for the most part is helpful and courteous.
My room was kept clean.
The breakfast which is included is amazing.
There are computers to use and free wi-fi
The owner is from the states and went well beyond being friendly and helpful to me.
One cab driver in particular was very nice and only ripped me off once which I overlooked.
Very close to the Old City and the Garden of Gethesmane
The money changer is near by and gives decent exchange and also the owner spent time in the states. Why the hotel doesn't make his services known was a question I never got answered.
The room safe was very secure.
The Kiosk across the street sells pretty damn good sandwiches and has pop, cigarettes and candy. I wouldn't go in there when the teenagers were working the prices jumped up compared to the regular guy.

The Bad:
My room was something resembling a flea bag hotel. Other rooms were far nicer than mine. They are remodeling so I will grant the belief that my room hadn't been remodeled yet.
There was no wi-fi in my room. Ten steps from my room it worked fine. Just not in my room.
No laundry service that I was aware of.
Very bad neighborhood at night. A friend I met there was robbed near by. I don't blame the hotel for this but a careless traveler who should have been smarter about being out at night. There is no warning from the staff about this.
The call for prayer will wake you from a dead sleep till you get used to it.
The hotel appears to be something of a boarding house for locals. It makes breakfast very interesting.
There was no tv in my room. I didn't complain tho. I believe others did and were quickly accommodated with new rooms. I didn't care enough to bother asking.
Avoid the idiot across the street and his restaurant. He didn't know that I recognized some of the swear words he was using about me.
The tour company ( the brochures are in the lobby) who's name escapes me is terrible. Get a few people together and just hire a car. Far more pleasant.
No shampoo in the rooms. There is a store down the block that sells it.

Overall:
Many of the staff were very helpful to me when I had some difficulties with my master card. The owner himself even offered assistance. The older gentleman who I think told me his name was Joseph was very kind and helpful. The breakfast is really amazing. The cab driver I used most of time was quite a character. Really a highlight during some low points. My room was rather well cheap and disgusting. I was in other rooms that were 4 star so I am unsure of the difference. My biggest complaint that deals directly with the owner and his staff was that they know getting cash is a priority for travelers and yet they play stupid as to where the atms are and the money exchanger around the corner. There is an ATM at Jaffa Gate too. Do not use the one in the college town near by. It doesn't recognize American cards. The cab driver took me here .. why not Jaffa Gate or the money changer around the corner that he took me to 3 days later I will never know. I ended up paying for a wasted trip. He later got me in and out Bethlehem so he made up for it. Avoiding a rather through search and grilling check point.

Now here's a highlight. Me and another traveler had a very early day and had scheduled a tour together. The cook came in early and made us a breakfast probably a few hours before breakfast was served. Try getting that in the states. He will as I found out the last day there will cook you an omelets or scramble you some eggs.

I witnessed the staff there be very kind to the elderly that stooped to rest in the lobby.

Now would I stay there again. Yes. It is far more interesting than a touristy hotel. Far more private than a hostel. Some of the locals ( a policeman of all people) told me I was ripped off for what I was paying but I honestly think I got a good deal but would have been far more happier with a better quality of room and wi-fi that worked in the room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank Rotten_Johnny