“Amazing Hotel footsteps from the entrance to the Old City”

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #12 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Jacksonville, Florida
“Amazing Hotel footsteps from the entrance to the Old City”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

David Citadel is not the cheapest hotel in Jerusalem by any stretch, but is is certainly one of the nicest. I am in Jerusalem 6-8 times/year on business, and ALWAYS stay at the David Citadel. The crown jewel of the hotel is the lounge on the tenth floor. Amazing views of the Old City, and a great place to have business meetings. Also, the staff in the lounge are always ready to bring whatever you need. I cannot imagine a better all-around business environment.
The added bonus of being a 2 minute walk from the Old City's Jaffa Gate is a great plus. Many excellent restaurants within walking distance as well.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
Your compliments are most appreciated. It is very important to us to provide a superb Executive Lounge for business and luxury purposes and I’m delighted you so enjoy it.
We’re grateful for your loyal business and are richly rewarded by your praise.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Living in Jerusalem, we have been to many very fine restaurants, but the experience we had in the Scala Restaurant last night will be hard to surpass!
Upon arrival, we entered into a world of luxury and relaxation. I said to myself, "if the food is as good as the environment and decor, we are in for a wonderful, savory experience. The Scala Restaurant lived up to our expectations. The appetizers were unique and delcious, sea fish on toast with avocado, delectable spiced beef on toast, served on a black stone slate. The endecote steak with al dente green beans and potatoe puree were the best we have ever had. The steak broth was unique and the spices on the puree added a special flavor. The white wine was full and mild. The service was very courteous and professional. Consideration was paid to every detail of our meal. We felt pampered from the moment we walked in. We HIGHLY recommend this intimate restaurant experience. Thank you for a wonderful anniversary evening!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2011
Warm congratulations on your anniversary, I’m so pleased to have contributed to your special occasion. We take every care to provide unforgettable dining at our SCALA Restaurant and your review is very rewarding.
May you know many more joyous occasions and we'd love to welcome you again in celebration.
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed January 13, 2011

thehotel is a great hotel nice rooms great service
location amazing
remodeled the lobby
the front desk ppl give a good service especially Munir he is an outstanding person and helped me with every detail i needed

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2011
Thank you for sharing your good experience. We strive to please our guests and are always grateful to receive such lovely feedback.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 12, 2011

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the David Citadel, which had been highly recommended to us --- indeed we had booked at a famous hotel and switched based on strong recommendations to stay at the David Citadel, in advance of our trip. We had a great view of the Old City and the Jaffa Gate from our balcony. Because of the recommendations, we had high expectations. The staff at the hotel was particularly wonderful but more than that, when my wife asked housekeeping for a prayer mat (needed to perform Muslim prayers), which the hotel understandably (I would be surprised if they get many Muslim guests), did not have available, our housekeeping person, Alladin bought one from his own pocket and left in our room as a gift, with a note. We were beyond delighted because nothing like this had ever happened at any hotel. Sharon ( a young Ethiopian woman on the restaurant wait staff), at breakfast went out of her way to ensure that the tea was piping hot. We hate to only name two people because everybody was so great but should mention that Medina Pearl, the Manager is an exceptional person who loves what she does and loves her guests.
SAI -- a delighted guest from the United States

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LittleTimeLotsToSee
We’re proud to have you join our many happy guests. It’s wonderful to hear how our staff enjoyed hosting you, I thank you for sharing your experience. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at any time.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 9, 2011

This hotel is FANTASTIC! It's a modern, comfortable hotel right in the heart of Jerusalem. You can walk out the door to see the historic sites. The rooms are SO comfortable. The food is great, way better than most hotel food. The service is outstanding (hot tip: guest services is way better than the concierge desk, so call them instead). The Executive Lounge is one of the best in the world, with good food and drink all day long, comfortable chairs, and free internet access. I've traveled a lot, and this is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at, very comfortable, very well run.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Thank you very much for your praise of hotel rooms, restaurants, Executive Lounge and service. We make every effort to ensure superb hospitality and I’m so happy you found our hotel to be a pleasant experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 8, 2011

My wife and I recently returned from a month in Jerusalem. Our U.S. travel agent at Protravel highly recommended the David Citadel because of location, amenities, including the executive lounge. Our Israeli agent with Travex was our local contact. Both agents followed through with all they promised and all we paid for.

The staff at the Citadel was cheerful to our needs in particular the morning breakfast staff with Said, Abed and Amed, and the manager, and all the other morning staff madde breakfast a culinary feast. The food was beautifully presented and alwyas fresh.

Taking the advice of our travel agent, we registered for the executive lounge. It is a quiet, open area with computer access, various foods and drinks are available throughout the day. The lounge coordinator, Sandra, and her staff, including Coral, were amazing with their knowledge of many languages and their ability to assist the guests with their various needs.

The location remains the most obvious attirbute, but proximity to the Old City and to Ben Yahuda Street would not be enough to cauise us to recommedn it if the service had not been superior. It was, and we would recommend this hotel and hope to return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
I’m delighted you so enjoyed our hotel, its breakfast, service, Executive Lounge and location. We take special care with all these and it’s rewarding to know you appreciate the result.
Your review is a pleasure to read. Your specific compliments are both heartwarming and very helpful to us. Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
Morganville, New Jersey
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My wife and I arrived in the morning with our three grown kids (ages 29, 28, and 24). Our plan was to leave our luggage there and go touring and return to our rooms in the evening. We checked in early, and inquired about the adjoining rooms, and they told us that they had not been requested by our travel agent (which I doubt as our travel agent assured us he did and we had rec'd them in our previous hotel in Tel Aviv). I asked them to please change it and arrange them, which they assured me that they would.

Upon our return in the evening, nothing at all had been done, and they were giving us rooms on different floors. I asked to speak with the manager, and the front desk clerk went in and after 15 minutes returned to advise us that the manager was busy. But he told us that they had arranged adjoining rooms, and gave us the keys as we happily marched off to finally relax. We got into the elevator and pressed the floor only to realize that our rooms were on the main floor. We exited and proceed down the hall to find them. To our shock, they were not adjoining, although they were on the same floor, and we soon realized and we left to return to the instead were give rooms on different floors. We objected and after keeping us waiting in the lobby for about 30 minutes while they discussed it, they finally told us that they had taken care of it and we now had adjoining rooms. We took our keys and headed off to our rooms only to learn that they were on the first floor, and not adjoining at all. I tried to call my travel agent in NY but got his voice mail, but i had remembered that he told me that he had arranged that our room would have a view of the Western Wall, but actually on the first floor we had no view at all.

We finally left the rooms, and were shocked to see that the cart with our luggage was standing abandoned in the hallway, with nobody watching it. We returned to the front desk to complain, and after keeping us waiting for another 25 minutes, they finally explained that they could give us adjoining rooms on the either floor, but we would have to downgrade the deluxe room to a superior. I asked them if we could just upgrade the second room to deluxe and pay the difference, which they told me would be an extra $125 per night, but unfortunately there were none available adjoining at that point. I asked why our luggage was left unattended and no explanation was given but they assured us that they would send someone to collect it from the hallway. Finally we were given adjoining rooms on the eighth floor. I asked them if they could give us the credit of $125 and they explained that would have to be done through our travel agent who made the booking. We went to our rooms and finally rec'd our luggage and the very nice bell boy told us that it was unbelievable what was going on with the front desk as everyone was complaining!

From the room I saw a notation that there was an executive lounge and I called up to see the cost, and was told $60 per room per night. I then called the front desk and asked them if they could arrange to put both rooms on the executive lounge plan, in exchange for the downgrade of the $125 room, which seemed like a logical swap and nice way to settle the problem. The clerk checked with the manager and came back and said sure, and told us he would send a paper for us to sign. When the paper arrived I was shocked to see that I was to sign a charge slip of $120 per day, and called again and asked them what was going on. Apparently the desk clerk had misunderstood our entire discussion, and no the hotel could not do that. I finally reached our NY travel agent who said he couldn’t guarantee it, but he would contact the tour operator and try. They very conveniently managed to only get back to me the following day, and told me it was arranged, so now it cost them two days instead of three.

The next morning I called the front desk to arrange internet service which they charge 68 Shekels per day for. He read me the codes over the phone and I repeated each on back to him, and tried and tried but couldn’t log on. I called back and asked if it was lower or upper case, and he told me it didn’t matter, and I tried and tried again. I called back again and he then told me to try lower case. Finally after wasting over an hour I went to the front desk and he gave it to me in writing, and I was shocked to see what he repeatedly told me was an i was actually and L.

Our first morning we went to the 4th floor for breakfast but the sign said to go to the second floor. I was shocked to see that the tables were all dirty with stains in the table cloth. It apparently was an impromptu set up because they were overcrowded. My wife asked for tea three times and after 25 minutes finally rec'd cold tea. They were out of lox and the selection was awful.

When we got home to the USA we realized that my son’s leather jacket was missing, and he had last had it when we checked in and he had put it on the luggage cart. We called the hotel and they checked lost and found and no jacket.

This is a beautiful, modern hotel, in a great location with very poor management and inadequately trained staff. There is no way that this property deserves five stars!

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank agwald
It seems we did not provide you with our standard excellent service on this stay and I truly regret this. Please accept my sincere apology.
I hope you choose to give us another opportunity and find your experience very much improved.