“A really great hotel”

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #14 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed June 19, 2013

From the time of check in until we departed everything was at the highest standard. The room with the view of the Old City was riveting, food range and quality at the highest level, especially the breakfast, and the service and care of all staff was as good as it gets.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the centre of the arc of the building or even better a little to the south side...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
ofra A, Executive Secretary at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time and post your great review.
We do strive to create the highest hospitality level,and your comments prove we are on the right track. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Write a ReviewReviews (2,145)

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I just returned from my first stay at the David Citadel in Jerusalem and am still scratching my head at some of the other reviews for this hotel (I actually question some of their authenticity because I find it impossible for anyone who has ever stayed in a hotel anywhere to consider this one "the most amazing hotel in the world." I booked a "new city" view so can't complain about the view of the parking lot and not the Old City since I didn't want to pay another $140 USD per night for the upgrade. And the good news is that the prison-size window off to the side of the room is so small you don't have to see much of the parking lot.

However, for $500/night I think one should expect doormen who actually open the door, concierges who are courteous and knowledgeable, an alarm clock in the room and maybe even throw in a piece of art on the stark white walls. And let's not forget the abysmal breakfast buffet where the warm food is always cold and the cold food is warm. Cold pancakes. Powdered eggs. Really weak effort, and the one night we ate dinner at the hotel was the last. I have no issue paying $500/night in NY, Hong Kong or Paris for a $500/night experience which this clearly wasn't.

The only bright lights in this hotel was one of the doormen who was truly a professional and a kind waiter who looked after us at breakfast each morning. The rest of the staff acted as though the guests were a necessary inconvenience to their day. I certainly will not be staying at this hotel again, nor it's sister property the Mamilla despite its hip, cool "W" vibe since I would imagine the same ownership/management results in the same culture and service.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay here, I suggest paying out the extra money for one of the nice rooms with large...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

I truly am sorry we seem to have fallen short on your recent stay.
We thank you for taking the time and let us know your comments, as we learn from each and every one of it.
We would welcome the chance to host you again and restore your faith in our service.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have stayed at the Citadel numerous times alone when I had to stay over in Israel for the weekends.

This is the first stay with my wife it was an amazing experience the staff was great the room was very nice and all around it was the best experience of any hotel in Israel.

I will definitly continue to stay at the citadel in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

My many thanks for such a wonderful review, it is so good to know our efforts create the hospitality we strive for. Thank you so much for your loyal business.We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a short stay at the David Citadel and were very impressed with the luxurious interior. Staff were very helpful and efficient. Breakfast was superb with a wide choice and the pastries were to die for. Dinner was excellent and a great menu.
The location is terrific. Overlooking the old city which is a short walk away.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I should have booked a room with a balcony which is more pleasant for those of us who prefer not use...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.Thank you for taking the time to write your review and praise. I will pass on your warm comments to the entire stuff,especially the Chef and his team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Lovely hotel experience from start to finish. Terrific location within walking distance of the Old City (Jaffa Gate) and Mamilla Mall. Nice rooms...consider splurging on one with a balcony overlooking the pool and Old City. Buffet meals not to be believed. Fantastic variety, beautiful presentation, great service including offers to bring cappuccinos to you. You may have some tour groups checked in (and see their bus) but the hotel never felt overly crowded even during a sold out week. Highly recommended

Room Tip: If the budget allows, check out the junior suites on the concierge level facing the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to write these warm words.
Hope to host you again in the very near future.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Since the David Citadel opened as a Hilton 10-15 years ago, I have stayed there several times, most recently 1-4 May 2013. I note happily that service has actually improved over the years, in contrast with many other Israeli hotels, where the service has deteriorated over the years.

Many of their staff members are exceptionally gracious and hospitable, comparing favorably to the highest standards of hospitality worldwide.

I especially want to commend Ata Bayah of the dining staff. During my stay, Ata made my breakfasts a delightful opening to every day. He was friendly and engaging, without being subservient. He made sure that everything was prepared properly, whether it was coffee or an omelet. Ata was attentive without being overbearing. He interacted intelligently and non-intrusively.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for your review and compliments; I am delighted we provided the service we believe you are entitled to,and we strive to provide.
I will forward your warm words to Ata and the entire stuff. We look forward to host you again again soon.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Location is great. Most of the employees are terrific. The food is delicious. The new chef is excellent & really tries to make a new & exciting eating experience with each meal. This is assisted by the ever helpful wait staff, Said being the top, & all those that he has helped to train with him. The friendliness of all you meet, from maintenance upward, is what helps make this a home away from home. They greet you with warmth, & for people like us, that come frequently, the fact that they remember you & try to remember your likes & dislikes, makes it a perfect picture. Of course there are a few people that don't meet their high standards, & I'm sure they will not be around long. The only black marks are that not enough time is given to orient & train new employees, so you become the guinea pigs of the on the job training, & the never ending problem with expedient & efficient service in their lounge restaurant. The food is much better both in taste & appearance, but to wait for 15 minutes or more for a drink or a soup, is not acceptable.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
ofra A, Executive Secretary at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Thank you for such a rewarding review. We do try to exceed expectations and provide the very best service, so it’s really good to hear we’ve succeeded. We will forward your great comments to Said and the entire stuff. We do take seriusly the comments regarding our trainees,and will update our trainings acordigly. Hope to see you back soon.