“Very nice hotel in great Jerusalem location”

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #9 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have stayed the David Citadel hotel in Jerusalem three times now. Each time I'm there I'm reminded why I continue to come back. The service is top notch, the rooms are clean and spacious and the executive lounge on the 10th floor, which was included in my room rate, has free drinks and snacks from 7 AM until 10 PM.

The breakfast buffet is good. The gym is modern, clean and is better equipped than most hotel gyms. The large outdoor pool area is beautiful. The hotel is a five minute walk from the old city and there are plenty of restaurant options within a five minute walk. The hotel is next door to a high end mall.

I'll be back. I highly recommend.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

It’s our great pleasure to welcome back returning guests; I’m delighted it’s evident!

There are newer reviews for David Citadel Hotel

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have been looking for a good massage place in Jerusalem and was recently recommended to go to the Spa in David Citadel Hotel. What a mistake! I specifically asked for a deep tissue massage (that is in their treatment menue) explaining I had a stiff shoulder. The girl at the desk then first said they did not have it today. But when I said I would be back another day then she said "I didn't pay attention we actually have a time for deep tissue in ten minutes". I was very happy until I reslized that the woman giving me the massage had no clue how to give a deep tissue massage. There is nothing more frustrating than to have your fingers and ears massaged when you have an excruciating pain in your shoulder. When I told the girl at the check-out that it had not been a deep tissue and exactly what I did not want despite me having asked the masseuse twice to focus on the shoulder. She said "it is our deep tissue. It focuses on one spot". Only that this one spot happened to be my whole body. Hard to see what they could have focused on outside that spot. So here I am with the same pain but 90 USD less in my pocket.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Tycka

I’m so sorry your experience fell short of the usually wonderful one we provide. We hope you give us another chance and fully enjoy the pampering.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Recently stayed there with a convention. We had a top floor room and the room was spacious and fairly well appointed. The master light switch next to the bed did not control the bed lamps, so it as impossible to turn off the lights without getting out of bed. The walls are as thin as Japanese homes. Also they elected to eliminate the gift shop, so forget about getting a newspaper (delivered to your door each morning) or can of coke, aspirin etc All Israeli hotels are required to have a "Kibbutz-style" breakfast, and this was average at best, could probably be improved on with a wider assortment of foods. An easy walk to Jaffa gate thru Mamilla Mall, and Ben Yehuda street, but not quite 5 star.

Room Tip: Facing the Old City is probably awesome, but this room was comfortable none the less, after all who...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I regret your stay with us was anything less than perfect and look forward to welcoming you back for a truly superb experience.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just returned from a short stay in Jerusalem and stayed again at the David Citadel Hotel.

At this time of year the hotel was noticeably quieter than in the summer, but the service seamed even better. We ate in the hotel as arrived late at night and service and food was faultless as it was at breakfast the following morning. They even allowed us our room until 3pm the following day as our flight was in the evening, at no extra cost - well done and thank you.

Couldn't fault any aspect of our stay other than the one bug bear of no free wifi. Really, is it not about time large luxury hotels stopped charging for wifi, or at the very least offer free wifi in public areas. When every Macdonalds, Starbucks and little cafe can offer free wifi why can large hotels not decide that enough is enough, stop milking it and do the decent thing. They moan about cost but everything else goes on the bill so could the $1 per room per night this would cost.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

We’re more than happy to accommodate whenever we can, I’m glad that was helpful to you. On the Wifi front, I hope to have good news in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back again, and again for many superb hospitality experiences.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Jerusalem is atmospheric and exciting, and the David Citadel is located ideally, adjacent to Mamilla shops and cafes, and easy walking distance of Jaffa Gate and the Old City. We had an arcade room which was spacious and comfortable with a terrace with a great view. Pool was nice too. Staff were friendly and welcoming and concierge was well informed and helpful.

Negatives were that the bedroom carpet and the bathroom were shabby; Internet was outrageous NIS100 a night; breakfast buffet was frankly poor. And the room was expensive. Would we go back? Yes, definitely.

Room Tip: Arcade room was great but probably not worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us; you should know we do have a comprehensive room refurbishment planned quite soon and actually Wifi cost is almost half that, so it will be nice for you to return for an even better stay.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Yes the prices are quite expensive. But I can honestly say that the stay was worth it. The staff were wonderful, the facilities (especially the pool) was amazing. A short walk to the Old City and across the street from Mamilla Mall. A quick walk to restaurants and just about anywhere you want to go (Machane Yehuda Market is a quick cab ride). Don't miss this hotel. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

We look forward to providing you with another wonderful experience, as we love to.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We paid an exorbitant rate (compared similar properties in major cosmopolitan cities), and booked a “Superior Room” at this self proclaimed Jerusalem landmark “luxury” hotel built back in 1998. What is certain is that at least our room has not been touched since 1998. The carpet (rug) is shabby and worn, the mattress is more like the ones you find in some motels in the Midwest USA (forget your pillow-top Serta®), there was no in room coffee, the curtains and the upholstery were old and dusty, no alarm clock, the sink had been broken and glued together, the paint coat had smudges, the bathroom marble wall was broken and hastily “repaired”, the coffee table was scratched, the paint in the bathroom ceiling was chipped, the size of the room is rather smallish and the décor is dated and late 90’s untouched retro. (All of this could be fixed with roughly the cost of one night if the room was shut down for 24 hours.) Thus, our “superior” room turned out to be superior to nothing. Except for the common areas, you would think you are staying at a standard stateside motel in the 1990’s. The room is poorly decorated if at all. The “bountiful” Israeli breakfast does not even have omelettes. It is half the size of what it used to be just four years ago. Most of the staff is rude, arrogant and obnoxious. When I remarked about the lack of luxury in my room at this “Five Star “ Hotel, an attendant told me that for only one hundred dollars less he can only book a three star hotel in New York City. Case on point! These rooms are very basic three star accommodations for the price of an expensive five star hotel. I think that the hotel should warn customers that it is a hotel with a great location, a luxury lobby, some luxury rooms and some shabby rooms like the one we got, all at an exorbitant rate. It should not claim to be a five star luxury hotel if all of its rooms are not five stars or luxurious. To top things off, they ask you to pay close to $20.00 per day for slow internet. Almost everything other than breakfast, a decent gym and a swimming pool is “extra”. Phone calls are outrageously priced as is everything in the mini bar. The worse thing there is has to do with the staff’s attitude. The concierge was distant, arrogant and disengaged. Another example: someone claiming to be a manager said he was sending a Public Relations person to scout the room to see its shortfalls and nobody came for half an hour. Finally, an honest woman supposedly from Management (name withheld to protect her job) came to my room and surveyed it with me. She admitted that the room is “sub standard” but offered nothing. She admitted that the Israeli staff is rude and arrogant but did nothing. She admitted that the hotel does not have quality control auditors but did nothing. She did apologize in a rather kind, yet embarrassed, tone and asked me to write a letter to the Manager. I said it would be useless and that instead I will warn the public that this hotel does not give you what it promises or what you would expect for the outrageous price you pay. I suspect they will post a cliché answer which will state something like: “I’m pleased you did enjoy some aspects of your stay and sorry for those you did not. We look forward to welcoming you back for an improved hospitality experience and superb service in our best traditions.” At one point during our stay they did offer to move us to another room but would not state what amenities the new room would have. I would rather not risk it. I cannot believe how we were tricked into thinking we were staying at a premium luxury property in Jerusalem. It is far from that. It is superior to nothing.

Room Tip: You may get lucky.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ViajeroESQ
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

You’re right – a cliché just won’t do. I therefore offer my most sincere apology. I assure you once we’ve completed guest room refurbishing we will offer far superior rooms.