“Excellent yet again”

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #14 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just returned from a short stay in Jerusalem and stayed again at the David Citadel Hotel.

At this time of year the hotel was noticeably quieter than in the summer, but the service seamed even better. We ate in the hotel as arrived late at night and service and food was faultless as it was at breakfast the following morning. They even allowed us our room until 3pm the following day as our flight was in the evening, at no extra cost - well done and thank you.

Couldn't fault any aspect of our stay other than the one bug bear of no free wifi. Really, is it not about time large luxury hotels stopped charging for wifi, or at the very least offer free wifi in public areas. When every Macdonalds, Starbucks and little cafe can offer free wifi why can large hotels not decide that enough is enough, stop milking it and do the decent thing. They moan about cost but everything else goes on the bill so could the $1 per room per night this would cost.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

We’re more than happy to accommodate whenever we can, I’m glad that was helpful to you. On the Wifi front, I hope to have good news in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back again, and again for many superb hospitality experiences.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,145)

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Jerusalem is atmospheric and exciting, and the David Citadel is located ideally, adjacent to Mamilla shops and cafes, and easy walking distance of Jaffa Gate and the Old City. We had an arcade room which was spacious and comfortable with a terrace with a great view. Pool was nice too. Staff were friendly and welcoming and concierge was well informed and helpful.

Negatives were that the bedroom carpet and the bathroom were shabby; Internet was outrageous NIS100 a night; breakfast buffet was frankly poor. And the room was expensive. Would we go back? Yes, definitely.

Room Tip: Arcade room was great but probably not worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us; you should know we do have a comprehensive room refurbishment planned quite soon and actually Wifi cost is almost half that, so it will be nice for you to return for an even better stay.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Yes the prices are quite expensive. But I can honestly say that the stay was worth it. The staff were wonderful, the facilities (especially the pool) was amazing. A short walk to the Old City and across the street from Mamilla Mall. A quick walk to restaurants and just about anywhere you want to go (Machane Yehuda Market is a quick cab ride). Don't miss this hotel. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

We look forward to providing you with another wonderful experience, as we love to.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We paid an exorbitant rate (compared similar properties in major cosmopolitan cities), and booked a “Superior Room” at this self proclaimed Jerusalem landmark “luxury” hotel built back in 1998. What is certain is that at least our room has not been touched since 1998. The carpet (rug) is shabby and worn, the mattress is more like the ones you find in some motels in the Midwest USA (forget your pillow-top Serta®), there was no in room coffee, the curtains and the upholstery were old and dusty, no alarm clock, the sink had been broken and glued together, the paint coat had smudges, the bathroom marble wall was broken and hastily “repaired”, the coffee table was scratched, the paint in the bathroom ceiling was chipped, the size of the room is rather smallish and the décor is dated and late 90’s untouched retro. (All of this could be fixed with roughly the cost of one night if the room was shut down for 24 hours.) Thus, our “superior” room turned out to be superior to nothing. Except for the common areas, you would think you are staying at a standard stateside motel in the 1990’s. The room is poorly decorated if at all. The “bountiful” Israeli breakfast does not even have omelettes. It is half the size of what it used to be just four years ago. Most of the staff is rude, arrogant and obnoxious. When I remarked about the lack of luxury in my room at this “Five Star “ Hotel, an attendant told me that for only one hundred dollars less he can only book a three star hotel in New York City. Case on point! These rooms are very basic three star accommodations for the price of an expensive five star hotel. I think that the hotel should warn customers that it is a hotel with a great location, a luxury lobby, some luxury rooms and some shabby rooms like the one we got, all at an exorbitant rate. It should not claim to be a five star luxury hotel if all of its rooms are not five stars or luxurious. To top things off, they ask you to pay close to $20.00 per day for slow internet. Almost everything other than breakfast, a decent gym and a swimming pool is “extra”. Phone calls are outrageously priced as is everything in the mini bar. The worse thing there is has to do with the staff’s attitude. The concierge was distant, arrogant and disengaged. Another example: someone claiming to be a manager said he was sending a Public Relations person to scout the room to see its shortfalls and nobody came for half an hour. Finally, an honest woman supposedly from Management (name withheld to protect her job) came to my room and surveyed it with me. She admitted that the room is “sub standard” but offered nothing. She admitted that the Israeli staff is rude and arrogant but did nothing. She admitted that the hotel does not have quality control auditors but did nothing. She did apologize in a rather kind, yet embarrassed, tone and asked me to write a letter to the Manager. I said it would be useless and that instead I will warn the public that this hotel does not give you what it promises or what you would expect for the outrageous price you pay. I suspect they will post a cliché answer which will state something like: “I’m pleased you did enjoy some aspects of your stay and sorry for those you did not. We look forward to welcoming you back for an improved hospitality experience and superb service in our best traditions.” At one point during our stay they did offer to move us to another room but would not state what amenities the new room would have. I would rather not risk it. I cannot believe how we were tricked into thinking we were staying at a premium luxury property in Jerusalem. It is far from that. It is superior to nothing.

Room Tip: You may get lucky.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ViajeroESQ
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

You’re right – a cliché just won’t do. I therefore offer my most sincere apology. I assure you once we’ve completed guest room refurbishing we will offer far superior rooms.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Great hotel and perfect location. Location even makes it slightly superior to the King David Hotel nearby.
Only downside was the room doors which naturally close with a slamming noise. So, unless you intend to be first awake on your floor, keep this in mind.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Delightful to know you so enjoyed your stay. I’ve made note of your comment regarding the room door for our upcoming refurbishing of all guest rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better experience.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Overview:
The DC is a beautiful hotel 5 star hotel in the heart of Jerusalem and a quick 10 min walk to the from the Tower of David and Western Wall etc. The Staff at the hotel for the most part are very nice and they have some amazing managers and waiters during bfast. I would suggest asking for a waiter names "ATA" to help you out if possible as he is very nice and learns quickly the needs of the guest. My overall stay at the hotel was excellent and I would def stay at the DC again. However, I do have a few suggestions for the hotel and management.

Room:
I stayed in an executive room at the hotel, which I found to be spacious. The cleaning staff is great. However, the room was missing a few small amenities that i feel a 5 star hotel should have. For example, there is no clock in the room, which I found strange and given the clientele I believe they should have a shoe horn avl. Additionally, as a suggestion to the hotel- it would be nice if during "turn down" you offered a little note with a historical or modern fact about Jerusalem or Israel along with the chocolates. Lastly, WIFI should be free for at least the executive rooms when you are charging so much per room during the holiday. Personally, I think it should be free for the whole hotel year round.

Breakfast:
Breakfast at the hotel for the most part is very nice with a lot of selection. However, it is the same selection everyday and does not practically cater to their Clients as well as they could. I have stayed at other hotels in Jerusalem for the holiday including the King David, Inbal and Mamilla (which is owned by the DC) and I think the DC can add a few small things to make their bfast better then those of their competitors. For example, French toast, Pancakes and/or waffles (which they currently do not serve) should be at every bfast and if not all 3 at least 1 of the 3. only 2 days a week do they have either FT or Pancakes. the other days it appears that the DC recycles their Challah and makes it into FT, the Bread pudding, then a different form of bread pudding etc etc. Moreover, I personally think that the DC should also serve Dates (which is an Israeli fruit and has biblical meaning) at bfast. Lastly, I think that "ice coffee" needs to be served frapachcino style like every Israeli restaurant. Also, can you get real "milkys" pudding in the morning?

Holiday Meals:
There is an abundance of food at every holiday meal. The food is very tasteful. However, I do have a few suggestions. There needs to be better variety of sauces that the lamb, veal duck etc is put in at the buffet. It seemed that every meal every sauce was the same but the cut of meat was different. Moreover, it also appears that at every meal the ground beef was offered but just in a different vegi every time. Maybe I would also switch up the house wine every few meals.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Daniel K
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

I appreciate your taking the time to make your suggestions in detail; senior management will consider them. We too would be very pleased to welcome you back at any time and look forward to providing many more wonderful hospitality experiences.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The rooms were spacious and clean. The views are wonderful with the balcony. So convenient to be in the old city by foot or go thru the shopping that us americans are used to seeing. I didnt use the pool but looked upon it outside the balcony.

The food was awesome!! the variety was so neat. The staff was kind helping me because I didnt understand when you could have dairy vs. meat on what floor and the time. So they were very helpful and considerate. My breakfast servers made me special pictures on my cappuccinos!!! Ata even went to get another gentlemen, Samer to show me even more special foam pictures. It was soo interesting. Ata & Samer were so pleasant and kind & efficient!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

There’s nothing like outstanding service to make for a memorable experience. Many thanks for your review; I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to providing many more.