“Very expensive for what it is!”

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #9 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I have been staying here for 15 years. What it was when I first started staying here was a more modern alternative to the King David and with better service. Over time the prices have really crept up and if anything the serivce has gotten worse (then again service has never been a strong point of hotels in Jerusalem!). I guess what most disturbed me about my most recent visit was that the carpet was worn (shredded as a matter of fact!) and the light in the closet didn't work. This may sound petty but we were paying $500/night for a non old city view room during a non holiday week! At that price, I would expect a pristine room and much better service! I find it unlikely that I will be staying at this property again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gbs4
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

I regret you were disappointed with your most recent stay; we much appreciate your loyal business and I’m sorry to learn you did not experience the caring, attentive service we believe you’re entitled to. We strive for constant improvement and make every effort to this end. All guest rooms are due to be refurbished in the upcoming year and we really would be happy to welcome you back for a much improved experience.

There are newer reviews for David Citadel Hotel

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Everything was perfect, from the perfect location, beautiful rooms, wonderful breakfasts, and, most of all, a courteous and helpful staff. The Guest Relations Manager, Ms. Lauer, and the Concierge manager and his staff were particularlry gracious and helpful. They were friendly and knowledgable and made suggestions and recommendations which made our visit to Jerusalem even more interesting and fulfilling.

Rating this as "excellent" is really an understatement!

Room Tip: Tell the check-in person or Guest Relations of any special needs or concerns. They are sincere in b...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Many thanks for such compliments, they’re very rewarding. We’re delighted to have helped make your visit such a success and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

This could be the best hotel I've ever stayed in anywhere in the world. The staff were incredible at their jobs and conducted themselves irreproachably at all times. The food was divine throughout the day, and buffets were artisan to say the least. The view from the dining patio was of a literal castle wall, which reminded me of my favorite novels, videogames, and paintings. It was otherworldly.

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the upper floors because they are terraced/cascading, offering panoramic views...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Your review is heartwarming, for it lets us know we’ve succeeded in providing the hospitality we strive for. Thank you, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

it has a lot going for it. the location is excellent, the facilities are modern and up to 5 star standards, etc. it is typical of this genre, including hefty a la carte pricing of extras (e.g., wi-fi, business lounge) that downscale competitors often provide gratis. if you're doing business on an expense account or on a tour package and you are not looking for something unusual this hotel is a good choice. not a great value but it works.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review; I’m pleased you enjoyed the hotel. On your next stay I hope you have a moment to enjoy the view – our unusual and spectacular feature.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

The David Citadel is the perfect location for a Jerusalem hotel. A very quick walk to the Old City, the Mamilla shopping mall, Ben Yehuda, and the Khan Theatre. The rooms are modern, the beds comfortable and the views from the Old City View Alcove Rooms incredible! However, the service is uneven. Eventually most requests are honored, but there were times I felt I had to convince several staff members that my requests were not unreasonable. For example, I travel with medicine that needs refrigeration and the ice packs that go into the insulated bag must be frozen before plane rides. The initial response when I asked room service to please keep 2 tiny bags in a freezer for me for one night before my departure was "no- we are not allowed to". When I explained that I never had a problem at the King David, the Inbal or any other hotel in the world I have ever traveled to, the room service manager agreed to take them, but acted as though he was doing me an enormous favor. Also, my room was on the "executive floor" (which at the Inbal gives you access to the executive lounge) but since it wasn't a suite, I was told that access to the suite was an additional $70 a day. There is also no gift shop or newspaper stand in the hotel. Bottom line is that I do highly recommend the hotel. It is lovely, with a beautiful lobby and restaurant overlooking the old city of Jerusalem, which is unique in the city. Having breakfast on a covered terrace with a view of the City Walls beyond is incredible and no other hotel offers that. The outdoor pool is clean, as is the gym, and the spa peaceful. There is also a hair salon and a medical clinic (unrelated to the hotel) on the premises. Just be prepared for a little attitude from some of the staff members. To be fair, some of the front desk people were very accommodating and helpful. It's just uneven. That's why I just couldn't bring myself to give the hotel the highest rating I wish it deserved.

Room Tip: Best rooms by far are the Old City view rooms. Higher floors are best and the ones in the middle of...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chookoo57
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

I’m happy you enjoyed the hotel, but do regret you did not experience the excellent service, which is our priority, consistently throughout your stay. I hope to welcome you back and provide the superb hospitality we believe our guests are entitled to.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I spent several months at this hotel. It is centrally located next to the Old City and the Mamilla Mall. The rooms are spacious but not as luxurious as the price would indicate. The tenth floor hospitality room is great for snacks and drinks but you have to have the package included in your room rate. The Wi-Fi is not complimentary and quite expensive as is the hotel restaurant. Breakfast was included in my rate and it was wonderful except for Saturday's when it was limited to dairy products.

Room Tip: You have to request a room overlooking the Old City. It is a magnificent night view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank MannyinFlorida

We pride ourselves on five star service and facility, and I hope you enjoyed these.Saturday's breakfast is somewhat limited due to Jerusalem Rabbinate regulations, but I'm delighted you enjoyed the other six days a week. As for Wi-Fi, while most Israel luxury hotels still do charge, I await a change in the near future. I hope to welcome you back again and provide a superb experience in our best traditions.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel for 3 nights. The location to the Old City is excellent. The hotel is relatively new and attractive. We found the hotel staff polite yet superficial. When asked about changing rooms, the people in reception were not very accommodating. The attention to detail that one gets in fine hotels was missing at this hotel. I think they can get away with a lot because of their location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Amazinghorizons
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

I’m so sorry you didn’t experience the outstanding service which is no less important than our perfect location, and we couldn't agree more - details make all the difference. I hope to welcome you back again for the superb hospitality we are famous for.