“Fairytale Fortress with a View”

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #12 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Riverside, California, United States
“Fairytale Fortress with a View”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This could be the best hotel I've ever stayed in anywhere in the world. The staff were incredible at their jobs and conducted themselves irreproachably at all times. The food was divine throughout the day, and buffets were artisan to say the least. The view from the dining patio was of a literal castle wall, which reminded me of my favorite novels, videogames, and paintings. It was otherworldly.

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the upper floors because they are terraced/cascading, offering panoramic views...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Your review is heartwarming, for it lets us know we’ve succeeded in providing the hospitality we strive for. Thank you, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Chicago
Reviewed June 21, 2012

it has a lot going for it. the location is excellent, the facilities are modern and up to 5 star standards, etc. it is typical of this genre, including hefty a la carte pricing of extras (e.g., wi-fi, business lounge) that downscale competitors often provide gratis. if you're doing business on an expense account or on a tour package and you are not looking for something unusual this hotel is a good choice. not a great value but it works.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review; I’m pleased you enjoyed the hotel. On your next stay I hope you have a moment to enjoy the view – our unusual and spectacular feature.
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The David Citadel is the perfect location for a Jerusalem hotel. A very quick walk to the Old City, the Mamilla shopping mall, Ben Yehuda, and the Khan Theatre. The rooms are modern, the beds comfortable and the views from the Old City View Alcove Rooms incredible! However, the service is uneven. Eventually most requests are honored, but there were times I felt I had to convince several staff members that my requests were not unreasonable. For example, I travel with medicine that needs refrigeration and the ice packs that go into the insulated bag must be frozen before plane rides. The initial response when I asked room service to please keep 2 tiny bags in a freezer for me for one night before my departure was "no- we are not allowed to". When I explained that I never had a problem at the King David, the Inbal or any other hotel in the world I have ever traveled to, the room service manager agreed to take them, but acted as though he was doing me an enormous favor. Also, my room was on the "executive floor" (which at the Inbal gives you access to the executive lounge) but since it wasn't a suite, I was told that access to the suite was an additional $70 a day. There is also no gift shop or newspaper stand in the hotel. Bottom line is that I do highly recommend the hotel. It is lovely, with a beautiful lobby and restaurant overlooking the old city of Jerusalem, which is unique in the city. Having breakfast on a covered terrace with a view of the City Walls beyond is incredible and no other hotel offers that. The outdoor pool is clean, as is the gym, and the spa peaceful. There is also a hair salon and a medical clinic (unrelated to the hotel) on the premises. Just be prepared for a little attitude from some of the staff members. To be fair, some of the front desk people were very accommodating and helpful. It's just uneven. That's why I just couldn't bring myself to give the hotel the highest rating I wish it deserved.

Room Tip: Best rooms by far are the Old City view rooms. Higher floors are best and the ones in the middle of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank chookoo57
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
I’m happy you enjoyed the hotel, but do regret you did not experience the excellent service, which is our priority, consistently throughout your stay. I hope to welcome you back and provide the superb hospitality we believe our guests are entitled to.
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I spent several months at this hotel. It is centrally located next to the Old City and the Mamilla Mall. The rooms are spacious but not as luxurious as the price would indicate. The tenth floor hospitality room is great for snacks and drinks but you have to have the package included in your room rate. The Wi-Fi is not complimentary and quite expensive as is the hotel restaurant. Breakfast was included in my rate and it was wonderful except for Saturday's when it was limited to dairy products.

Room Tip: You have to request a room overlooking the Old City. It is a magnificent night view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank MannyinFlorida
We pride ourselves on five star service and facility, and I hope you enjoyed these.Saturday's breakfast is somewhat limited due to Jerusalem Rabbinate regulations, but I'm delighted you enjoyed the other six days a week. As for Wi-Fi, while most Israel luxury hotels still do charge, I await a change in the near future. I hope to welcome you back again and provide a superb experience in our best traditions.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel for 3 nights. The location to the Old City is excellent. The hotel is relatively new and attractive. We found the hotel staff polite yet superficial. When asked about changing rooms, the people in reception were not very accommodating. The attention to detail that one gets in fine hotels was missing at this hotel. I think they can get away with a lot because of their location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amazinghorizons
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
I’m so sorry you didn’t experience the outstanding service which is no less important than our perfect location, and we couldn't agree more - details make all the difference. I hope to welcome you back again for the superb hospitality we are famous for.
Haifa
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for only one night, and were very sorry to leave. Our balcony faced the magnificently lighted Jaffa gate, as a part of the " Light in Jerusalem" festival and the view was amazing. The room was very spacious and clean, the bed comfortable, the house-keeping service very quick, and the breakfast excellent. As a Israeli I can say it felt like in the best hotels abroad.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eli A
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Kind thanks for such a high compliment. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My husband and I decided to spend the weekend at the David Citadel, despite living only a 10 minute car drive away. My husband had hurt his knee and was having trouble walking up and down the steps in our home. We mistakenly believed there was a jacuzzi and indoor pool. Immediately after checking in and entering our room, I called the spa to find out about entrance and was told there is no jacuzzi and the pool was outdoors, although heated. As the facilities did not meet my husband's needs, I went down to talk to the manager and explained the problem. We were allowed to check out immediately, without any cost. The manager was very courteous and understanding. I'm not sure we would have gotten such courtesy at another hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
We’re happy to be accommodating when we can, and I’m pleased we could extend the courtesy. I wish your husband a speedy recovery and look forward to hosting you next time.