“Nice but rooms are noisy”

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #11 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Los Angeles, California
“Nice but rooms are noisy”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

This is a nice hotel. The noise from the street is bad though. if one is sensitive to noise then I don't think this place is for you, at least the rooms that face the main streets. They could do a better job insulating the windows from noise. The pleasantness of my fancy room is undercut by all of the honking etc coming off the streets.

Room Tip: Do not have a room overlooking the main streets. Not worth it in my opinion
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Joel B
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
I’m so sorry your pleasant stay with us was flawed by street noise, though I must admit this is the first I hear of noise with closed windows. I hope to welcome you back for an improved experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Elegant hotel that is warm and inviting as you enter the impressive lobby. Rooms are spacious with lots of closet and storage. The soft colors both on the walls and furniture are comfortable. This was the bed is like ours at home and makes for a great sleep. Well-appointed bathrooms with separate large shower. Great variety at the breakfast bar. The attitude of the staff at every level is outstanding. Not to mention a great location near the Jaffa gate and downtown.

Room Tip: Top floors are quiet and elevators speedy.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
I could not have asked for a more perfect review. Our priorities are a luxurious and welcoming facility with the most excellent service, so your review is very rewarding and I thank you for taking the time to post it. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at any time.
La Jolla, California
Reviewed March 23, 2012

let's start by telling the truth -- i am not the easiest guy to satisfy -- in fact, hotels in general do not allow me to stay with them -- :)
so we get to the david citadel in jerusalem at 8pm after a brutal, exhausting day seeing everything, talking to everyone ( jews can really talk) -- and we are whipped we tell them we have a reservation -- and they look and of course, THERE IS NO RESERVATION -- nice....well, we show them the confirmation and they can't find anything -- and apparently the travel agent was a dingbat -- BUT THE FRONT DESK MANAGER, MR. SELIM ATIAS - he says welcome, we can fix everything and in no time, he gets us a room, an upgrade at no charge and he calms the troubled soul --
but wait, there is more -- i get to the room - gigantic, charming - but no desk - huh - well there is a credenza etc, but no desk -- and i am the ceo of a couple companies and i need to do email without sitting on the floor --- and oh yes, the internet -- well it seems my laptop for some reason does not connect to their wifi -- ( don't ask ) -- but again selim answers the call -- and for the next 58 minutes, a variety of IT geniuses come up to futz with the computer and finally they bring up a high speed modem and plug into the wall -- email works and i am back in business --- then i still need a desk - and sure enough the next day - a beautiful desk comes up and now i have a laptop, high speed internet, a desk and a room big enough to play basketball in ---
and to top it off i am on the executive floor where they have a lounge with nibbles and some booze...
the hotel is the perfect locatioin ( near old city) and it is lovely and charming etc....but the staff at the front desk, the concierge, the housekeeping ( i spilled some wine as well :) -- well, they simply are the finest in israel --
i will stay here again without question ( assuming they will let me back in given my aggravation ) -- allow me to refer all readers to the george constanza espisode with the flagged book --- if i am not flagged, well, i am there for you, baby --
A MAGNIFICENT EXPERIENCE....

Room Tip: they are all good -- but worth the extra dough to stay on the executive floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank neil s
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thanks for a great review – and a splendid laugh! You’re always most welcome in this hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 22, 2012

4 night stay. This struck me as a modern, convention style hotel that did its job well. Check in was easy. The deluxe room, while fairly small, was well appointed, bright, clean, with a lovely view of the old city. The closet space was more than adequate. Service (for extra towels and the like) was quick. The bar service was a bit off putting but I suspect that was more lack of ability to communicate. The breakfast buffet was typical but not out of the ordinary. This hotel has the best evlevators I have ever seen anywhere; I don't think I ever waited more than 10 seconds for a car. What it lacked in charm, it made up in efficiency. The location is great, close to Jaffa Gate.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
I'm delighted you enjoyed the hotel – this means we did indeed do our job well. We're happy to welcome you back any time.
Reading UK
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This hotel met our expectations and then some. Every single member of staff was courteous, cheerful and helpful. The rooms were great, very quiet and large. A mistake had been made with our booking (we requested interconnecting rooms) and when we went up, the rooms were not interconnecting. Although the hotel was very busy, as it was the weekend of the Jerusalem marathon, the reception staff bent over backwards and eventually upgraded us to a mini suite to accomodate our requirements. Mistakes happen, its how they are dealt with that matters.

The hotel location is great, a short walk to the old city but well connected to main roads if going further afield.

We ate in the bar restaurant and the food was great, big portions and very tasty. Fish fingers, for my 6 year old, were made with salmon!!!

Checkout was a breeze, and our travel arrangements, to and from the airport, that were made by the hotel, were on time and faultless.

Staff did not hang around for a tip, but I gave some none-the-less, because everything was so smooth.

Not cheap, but you get great value for money. I hope that this hotel maintains the standard, as we hope to go to Jerusalem again soon and would not look for another hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nogbadthebad
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
I’m delighted you so enjoyed the hospitality we take great pride in providing. It is our goal to exceed expectations and we appreciate your letting us know we did. Many thanks for such praise and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My evaluation of the David Citadel may be colored by my previous experience at the King David, one of my favorite hotels. The two hotels are polar opposites. The traditional King David has unsurpassed service and an air of history and romance. The David Citadel is larger, noisier, and, despite the modern entrance, the hotel rooms reminded me of a mid-class anonymous hotel chain. We had a lovely view of the Jaffe Gate, but our expensive internet failed to work with my husband's ipad2 and we had the problem every day when we renewed our WiFi. The management was nice enough to allow us to use the Executive Lounge and its computers. The buffet was large, but the quality was not A+.

Room Tip: I recommend the Executive rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
The two hotels do indeed offer different aspects of luxury hospitality. I’m so sorry the Wifi connection presented some difficulty and hope the Executive Lounge offered a convenient and pleasurable alternative; it’s very special and our guests enjoy it greatly. We hope to have another opportunity to provide the superb hospitality we are well loved for.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 16, 2012

It always annoys me that even at this roommate there is an additional 65 shekels per day charge for WiFi use. There is no coffee/tea set in the room. The breakfast quality is quite average. The interesting thing is that breakfast in the dining room is charged at 135 shekels and in the room 30 or 75 for the all in option. The doorman does not really handle the door nor luggage. And by the way: there is an extra charge for parking the car.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
I’m happy you enjoyed the facility and sincerely regret you were disappointed with your stay. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.