“Best Place I stayed”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #50 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed there for a week this month with my group and I loved it. It was clean staff was helpful
the bath rooms rocked wish I could have taken it home with me. My room was clean and had a nice view. I would stay there any time i am in town.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I spent 10 days here running a workshop in the conference room below the main residential area. In a city as historically rich as Jerusalem one would expect more of an acknowledgment in the decor of Islamic, Judaic or Christian art. But the interiors are stark and functional broken occasionally by Bedouin mirrors and painted tiles. The main lobby resembles more an airport lounge with huge volumes of tourists arriving in coachloads, then grabbing all available seats and sofas. The rooms are monastic with no views, no comfortable chair for reading, and blistering winter cold blowing under the verandah doors. Fine for an overnight stay, but not more than that. But since the hotel is in the Palestinian part of a divided city, you would be supporting a great cause.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I stayed at the Ambassador Hotel for one night (because the place I normally stay in Jerusalem was overbooked due to some plumbing problems). It's a nice hotel - nicely decorated, very clean, very comfortable. The bed was comfortable, so no real issues with the room at all.

Warning however to independent travelers - the hotel tends to be full of tour groups. They only had one table set up for independent travelers at breakfast. The hotel advertises themselves as being walkable to the old city - but it's not, at least very easily. There are no other restaurants and other services close by (the front desk couldn't even give me a recommendation for a restaurant other than the hotel restaurant - I found one anyway, but it wasn't very easy to do so). Personally, unless you're booked here as part of a tour group, I'd go elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2012

If you like filthy carpets and carelessly cleaned rooms this is for you. Breakfeast is a nightmare as the restaurant is jammed with masses of people. Coffee resembles dishwashing water and the two waiters are helpless serving 100 guests at the same time. Single business travellers are lost here. The hotel is a good two star place at the price of a 5 star Hotel. No value for money.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank John W
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Nice hotel, located in the Consulate district. Perfect for business trip. Free wifi and close from the Old city.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2011

While on a luxury cruise to Israel, I made plans to stay in the Ambassador hotel in Jerusalem and meet friends from Italy who were flying into Israel for a several night stay to see us for 2 days. I booked online at booking.com 1 night/2 rooms for the 4 of us and my friend called and booked direct for her other 2 nights. Outrageous as it sounds, they had no remorse at lying to us upon arrival (after our traveling around the world for a luxurious stay for ONLY one day in a city we will never return to) and stating that they never heard of our reservation (we had documentation) and stated that we should have booked direct, not online with booking.com. My friend did book direct and even paid a deposit and they still did not provide her with a room until her third night. We were given another hotel--a DUMP by comparison, in a very BAD area, with no amenities that we had wanted for our once in a lifetime visit and grand reunion. To say we are disappointed does not capture the problem. To avoid a similar problem, I recommend against EVER booking this hotel. (I noted they had overbooked for a large tour that was there) When I told booking.com, they replied that they had no control and that as long as the hotel gave us other accomodations, that was all they could do. NOT a satisfactory response. I WILL NEVER book again on booking.com...a rip off for tourists in a foreign place. I asked them to remove this hotel from their website and they refused. Unbelievable...It ruined our stay and reunion in Jerusalem. I have also reported this incident to the Israel Visitor Bureau in NYC.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank lenore a
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Shocked that anyone would give this hotel a good review. Don't be fooled by the lobby! This is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in for the money. There were bugs in my room, it was not cleaned properly, sheets were dirty, towels feel like sandpaper, no amenities in the room at all and horrible, depressing orange and brown decor. Food is overpriced and mediocre. Uncomfortable bed and lumpy pillows. Bed is so low to the ground, I had to lean on nightstand to get up. Outside steps are REALLY slippery at certain times and I saw one guest slip and fall. I had so many bug bites on my body, and was so itchy by the time I left (maybe from the stench of bleach and harsh detergent used for the sheets) I swore I would write a review to let others know.

There are lots of little things they could do to improve service and rooms, but they don't.
No clock in the room, and if you ask for one, forget it. Bring your own alarm. No iron in the building, and when I asked, they reacted as if I'd requested a flying carpet. No outlet in the bathroom for electric razor, etc. Shampoo is poor, poor quality--really detergent. Soap feels like it's years old. Ancient hair dryer in bathroom. All electric, including refrigerator, shuts down when you take your key out of slot to leave for the day. (So food and drink you leave in the mini-fridge are warm when you return.) Decor is like bad 60s or 70s, and looks like it hasn't been changed since.

What's to like? Twenty minute walk to Old City. (Very hilly, though. Must be in shape to make the walk.) Nice outdoor restaurant, if you can get away from all the smoke.

Decent breakfast included (although meats and fruits and olives are canned, processed.) Good, fresh-baked rolls and yogurt available, as well as cereal. Water and fruit drink (not real juice) available, along with blah coffee and Lipton tea bags.

Big disappointment.