“A haven of peace in Jerusalem”
Review of Alcazar Hotel

Alcazar Hotel
Ranked #79 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Buderim, Queensland
“A haven of peace in Jerusalem”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Dear Alcazar,
I have stayed at your hotel for 3 days in September 2010 and I want to thank you for your outstanding hospitality! Alcazar is friendly, comfortable, the rooms are very clean and spacious, the bathrooms are good, your breakfast is delicious and plentiful, your lounge is a comfortable meeting place for all your guests and the value for money is more than correct. But, what counts most is your amazing way with people, your customer service skills and typical East Jerusalem friendliness. All of the staff, from kitchen hands to room service to Reception and maintenance have had the same attitude, which was appreciated with gratitude.
Taxi from Central Bus station is 40 shekels and it's 20 shekels from the Old town to the hotel.
Mariana Amar
Neder is a remarkable person and

Mariana Amar

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Edelweiss_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ketchum, Idaho
Reviewed August 30, 2010

The Alcazar was a fine place to stay made wonderful by the owner and staff. They were more than helpful and attentive. The breakfasts were super with different and interesting dishes each day along with the more standard fare. The lobby and dining area are congenial and comfortable. We were greeted each day on return with delightful cooling fruit drinks. The wifi worked fine in the lobby but less well in the rooms. The rooms were clean but some can be scruffy, work is underway to improve them.
The proprietor, Nader Yunes is a man to admire and support. We are always interested in getting beyond the service industry to better understand the reality on the ground. And we were able to do this at the Alcazar after I asked Nader to help me honor a request from a Muslim colleague in the US. He was more than generous and helpful. The connection we made carrying this out changed our relationship. It was the highlight of our time in Jerusalem. We felt more like visiting family than hotel guests. My wife was invited to a graduation party there in the hotel for a young woman, that sort of thing. And this led us into deeper conversation about the challenges and opportunities he faces in the hard circumstances there. A bit more about us – 65+, neither back packers nor interested in high priced or chain hotels. We like to walk so the 15-20 minutes or so that it took to walk to Damascus Gate was fine. There are no restaurants in the immediate neighborhood but several within 10-15 minutes walk. Food can also be ordered for delivery to the hotel. One other note: The hotel is in East Jerusalem, Google Maps misplaces the hotel in the West. It is displayed correctly on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Greg H
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2010

The Alcazar is a great choice for a mid-budget hotel in East Jerusalem. Just 10 minutes from the city walls in a likely Palestinian neighbourhood. What makes the Alcazar so special is Nader and the other staff - incredibly helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JeremyDodd
Dublin
Reviewed August 12, 2010

The Alcazar is a basic hotel in East Jerusalem about 15 minutes walk from the old city.
The first good thing about this hotel is the value for money, offering a decent budget option in a very expensive city. The second good thing about this hotel is the manager. There seem to be two managers, an assistant one who is older and less helpful and the main one who is an angel of a man. He helped us in every way possible, including helping us find accommodation in our next destination in Israel when we were quite stuck. When we arrived at the Alcazar in the early evening, we had no booking but he moved things around and managed to get us a room and gave us a good rate. The breakfast is really great with lots of choices for both local and european taste.
There was a nice atmosphere in the hotel with other guests seeming to be happy. Our room was cleaned everyday. We would recommend it highly as a basic but very welcoming and good value option for Jerusalem.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dreamer042
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Though the lobby is nice, the rooms are a disaster. It's definitely NOT a hotel - definitely a HOSTEL. They even have an award for best value HOSTEL in the front. To be honest, I've only stayed in a hostel once, so I'm not a good judge of hostels. But for being a hotel, this place is unacceptable - even at a rate of $99/night. There is no AC in the room in the Jerusalem summer which is 45 degrees celsius during the day and 30-35 at night. The bathroom smells like urine. There are iron burns in the carpet. Though one of the managers does try to help quite a bit, he seems to give faulty information - although it doesn't seem like he is trying to give bad info on purpose. Saying that getting to the dome of the rock is only accessible through the Dung Gate (a 45 minute walk from the hotel) is false - I could have entered through the Lion's Gate - 20 mintues only - and in the heat, that extra 25 minutes is HUGE. He also quoted me 45 NIS for a full bag of laundry, then his "cousin" tries to tell me that it will cost me 95 NIS. When I told him that the manager had told me 45, he said "then I will keep your clothes until you pay me". His other option was that I pay him the 95 NIS and take it up with the manager the next morning. He knew that I was leaving the hotel at 5:30 AM the next morning - when would I do that then? I had to suggest to call the manager to settle this. The manager then told me that he had quoted me $15, which is around 60 NIS. When I said that his cousin quoted me 95 NIS, he said "he must have charged you for 2 bags". Now, last time I did my math neither 45 x 2 nor 60 x 2 equals 95. So finally after having the manager's cousin (seems to be the night manager) yell at me and basically accuse me of something I didn't do, finally I got the laundry for 60 NIS - not even the 45 NIS. Didn't argue though because this is not my country.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank Seeneband

Travelers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Budget hotels in Israel are often overpriced and dirty so this hotel is a great find. Located 10 mins walk from the Herod gate in East Jerusalem, it is close enough to walk to both the old city and the American colony. Rooms are clean and basic and the included breakfast is very good. We stayed during a stretch of very hot weather and you have to be forceful about the airconn as you can't control it from your room. They turned ours off at 1 am which made the room stifling by 5 am. The hotel has wi fi in the large lobby though not in the rooms. 6 Al Mutanabi St. 972-262-80693 www.jrscazar.com
We paid $99 USD for a triple and $75 USD for a double including tax and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank flashpacker07
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Although the rooms at the Alcazar are by no means luxurious and actually a bit shabby, they are clean. The location of the hotel is great. It was even possible to walk into the Old City and parking is no problem. The thing that makes this hotel a home away from home is the incomparable staff. Nadir is one of the kindest, most helpful people we have ever met and really went above and beyond making sure that our stay was wonderful. Every other member of the hotel staff were delightful and friendly as well. Also included in the price of the rooms is a wonderful buffet breakfast so the value can't be beat. We would highly recommend the Alcazar with the caveat that it is not in any way a luxury hotel but that you feel so welcome and comfortable there that it is even sad to leave.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family