“A deal”

Ranked #79 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Toronto, Canada
“A deal”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed at Al Cazar for 5 nights June 7 to June 12. The staff was extremely helpful throughout the stay. First I had a very late arrival and they’ve made every effort to make my check in as smooth as possible, offered me some quick snacks and a bottle of water, exactly what I needed after a long day of travel. Over the next few days, they gave me plenty of advice on what to do and what not to.

I got to the hotel by Sherut (shared taxi) from TLV and that made my life easy. The hotel is not exactly in a central location and I have not seen any signs with their name so finding the hotel can be a challenge if you are trying to use public transit or rent a car. Sherut from TLV 58.50NIS vs. private taxi over 300NIS. On a second thought, if you choose this hotel it’s unlikely your budget will include a car rental.... A private taxi from Al Cazar to Yad Vashem was 65. Yad Vashem to Israel Museum 35NIS. Vs. a bus ticket 3 – 6 NIS one way

Public transit will save you a lot of money and the bus station is located 10 minutes away, very close to Damascus gate.

The room was thoroughly cleaned daily but that could not hide the fact that the hotel overall looks tired/ old. If you have traveled in other ME countries and stayed in 2- 3 star hotel, this hotel will not be a surprise.

The reasons I selected Al Cazar were the reviews and price found on Trip Advisor. To be honest, first day I was a bit disappointed with the cost vs. location + overall hotel aspect ratio. However, after spending a bit of time in Israel you quickly realize that things are ridiculously expensive. Al Cazar is a very good deal.

Breakfast is served daily 8 – 10 and it’s definitely a great deal, not only because it’s included in the rate but also because it offers a wide range of options. Wi-Fi is free and available in the lobby and a few rooms close by. From the roof you will have amazing view of the city, and that will be free .

In summary I would say Al Cazar is a great deal, the only cheaper option would be to go to a hostel. If you travel in a group of 2 or 3 then Al Cazar will likely come ahead, especially if you consider the included breakfast.

One final word of caution around costs. I found Israel to be very very (ridiculously) expensive compared to other ME countries and even when compared to US . Plan accordingly and enjoy your visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Traveler2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Greifensee
Reviewed June 15, 2011

If you take into account that Jerusalem is a very expensive city, the hotel offers very good rates. However, you should be aware that the price is also reflected in the condition of the furniture etc. Plus, the hotel is located in East Jerusalem, which is the muslim quarter. So if you can e.g. live with regular wake-up calls from the Muezzins next door, the hotel could be the right place for you. Staff is very nice and helpful, doing what they can to make your stay as nice as they can. Old town is not too far away (as other reports say), but the way leading there can be a bit of a headache (ie. sidewalks available but 99% blocked by randomly parked cars).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whatever007
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Making my reservations from the UK, on a sight seeing trip with my extended family to Jordan/Jerusalem. Travelling from Jordan to Jerusalem Palestine is no easy task if you are young, but as soon as I walked through the lobby door we was welcomed by Nadir the hotel manager, who was very professional, polite & articulate. At that instance I forgot about the grief of travel and was going to enjoy my stay in Alcazar Hotel. I decided this specific hotel because I only wanted a bed to sleep in so I was'nt to concerned what condition the rooms were in as I would be spending much time in the day sight seeing.

We were made to feel very welcome by all the staff & the hotel had that family feeling. Josef (Staff) was always at hand to put a smile on your face with his witty humour and to my surprise he was a multilingual speaker. I would wind down conversing with him at evenings before going to bed.

Yes the rooms can do with a bit of decorating & new furnishings, but it did not bother me for the price I was paying. The room I stayed in was in decent condition with the bathroom/WC being clean with hot water.

Their is a Mosque nearby where you can hear the Islamic call of prayer at about 04:00 hrs. it goes on for about 3 minutes but did not bother either.

Breakfast was fantastic & had a healthy selection.

Wheel chair facilities are also available on request from the hotel, Just an inquiry I made as I will be recommending Alcazar to my friend who uses a wheel chair and will be travelling to Jerusalem in the near future

Yes I would recommend Alcazar to other friends & family who want to keep the cost to a minimum.

• Stayed May 2011
Irving, Texas
Reviewed May 17, 2011

It was perfect for me... one of the least expensive hotels in town, the breakfast was good and offered many choices and good quality, you can walk to most attractions, I felt the neighborhood as sufficiently safe and I had no problems walking around very very late at night, and the service is outstanding (I arrived late, with a rental car that I was told in Haifa I could only return to the airport or they would impose a drop off fee, and I didn't know exactly how I was going to get to Cairo from Jerusalem... no problem... Nadir made calls, asked me for my credit card, made bus reservations to Eilat which is in the border with Egypt and told me how to proceed... they sure make you feel like you are their long lost son the way they treat you... outstanding!!)... will stay here again when I come back to Jerusalem!!... only minor problems that I encountered were that the hotel was really difficult to find, even with directions from Mapquest and we are seasoned travelers accustomed to find out of the way places in all sort of international locations, and there was only street parking available, which was free but difficult to find and difficult to park, but doable.... great hotel experience!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
australia
Reviewed May 14, 2011

The staff were wonderful at this hotel and my room was spacious and comfortable but shabby. I am very pleased I stayed in East Jerusalem and would happily stay here again, though I don't think I would recommend the hotel to friends.
You are treated like a respected guest at this hotel which has its up side and a little down side too. When I was there there was a big group staying so the rest of the guests were expected to wait for their breakfast so the big group could have theirs'. This was understandable but still I had to rearrange my day on three of the mornings I was there because of a late start. I could have had breakfast elsewhere of course but the hotel does a very good breakfast

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Jerusalem is probably the most interesting city in the world - history, current situation, the atmosphere .... architecture - each building has its history and a tourist there must think the entire span centuries, sometimes in thousands of years

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Although it is difficult to locate the hotel (if you are travelling alone) but once you enter the door you will be greeted with one of the finest staff you can ever meet. The best part was that they could even speak (bits & parts) of Gujarati (one of the regional languages in India). The food is also very good & very tasty. The rooms although looks little gloomy are very comfortable to stay in. The bathrooms are also nice & big (but didn't understand the idea of having a wardrobe inside the bathroom). The proximity to the old city & Mount of Olives is also very short. Also the WiFi is also free of charge and has a very good speed.
All in all I can say is that the 4 days spent here were really very nice & comfortable.
Kudos to the Staff.... (especially Mr. Yusuf)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family