“You can take the 'hostel' out of the name, but you can't take the hostel out of bakah.”

A Little House in Bakah
Ranked #23 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Stayed at the Little "House" in December 2009 for one week. Below I will list the things I did not like:

1. Icky blue & white striped mattresses, with mattress covers that only covered the top.
2. Rooms and hallways are dirty. Dust in corners. Debris on rugs never removed, despite vacuum cleaner right outside our room.
3. Mediocre Israeli breakfast
4. Bad location for site seeing in Jerusalem. While some have said it is walkable to the Old City, realize that is at least 20 minutes, along some busy roads. Typical taxi ride (one way for a group of 4) to Old City was 33 shekels.
4a. Walk to Emek Rafaim (a fairly interesting commercial strip with shops and lots of restaurants, was a solid 10 minute walk, if not more
5. The pictures of dust on main staircase are mine. The dust was there when we arrived and there when we left. (with my arrow drawn in)
6. Overall poor ascetics. Cheap, mismatched particle board furniture. Holes in wall not patched. Poor quality workmanship on basic carpentry (moldings)
7. Weird plastic caps in bathroom floors. I lifted up two different caps and found plumbing AND water. Surely this cannot be good. There was also mold in these reservoirs and in the caps. I have pictures, I will try to post them.
8. Hall outside our room was used for storage of linen cart and vacuum. Having extra towels was convenient, but not what I would expect from a 3.5 star hotel.
9. Did not like the taste of the tap water. Do not know if this was city, region or hotel specific, but note that reception staff had their own supply of jug water. hmm...

For the same price you could stay much closer to Old City, in a newer, cleaner, better built hotel, possibly with a pool.

If the price was lower, you went in expecting 1.5 to 2 star it might be considered fair. Point of fact, The Little House was a hostel 3 to 4 years ago. Apparently they did some sort of face lift. It is shocking to me the Fodor's was positive about this place. Perhaps they stayed right after the facelift???

Note the bi-modal distribution of the reviews. There are many negative reviews. Then positive ones appear to balance them out, (hmmm hmm) The bi-modal distribution of reviews should be big clue. It is not like there was one stray negative experience.

Spotless???

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank wifeofdriedgrape

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Oustanding service, but please buy new carpets (the ones in the rooms look like they are 20 yrs-old) and a real vacuum cleaner. the room sizes are inconsistent and you have to ask for a larger room. Our "master" bedroom had only a tiny Full size bed.

The ergonomics of the rooms are quite awkward. With a bit of money, an interior designer and an architect, they can easily make this a 4-5 star hotel and charge 1.5 fold as much.

Walking distance to both Emek Refaim restaurants and to Old City.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
New York City
Reviewed December 9, 2009

This charming Bed & Breakfast is set in one of Jerusalem's old neighborhoods, a quaint and charming location not far from the Old City and the city center. Everything was just right. The facility and room was spotlessly clean, the staff friendly, courteous and always helpful, and the breakfast buffet plentiful and delicious. The room was small, but very comfortable, with a large bathroom and shower. The wireless Internet was erratic in my room, but there was a computer in the hallway that was free to use for email and other Internet activity, so I did not miss out. I travel to Israel frequently, and I will definitely stay in this hotel again. If you wish to contact me, please email me at: florianjl@gmail.com

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 11, 2009

We booked two nights for a family of 5. We got a family room which was adequate if a little scruffy, clean sheets and bathrooms. TV in the room. The room smelled a little musty. The breakfast was below par and certainly not in keeping with the Israeli standard by any means. They have a patio out the back where one can sit outside - however not particulary aesthetic/
I would agree with other comments on Trip Advisor regarding this establishment. This cannot be called a hotel, more like an mediocre bed and breakfast. However the location is good and the price was good for the family. Close to German Colony and Baka, which is a nice place to hang out and eat. Place is fine if you just want somewhere clean in a nice neighborhood to put your head down.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank RuthEleanor
Long Beach
Reviewed November 8, 2009

I was very pleased with my stay here. The room was clean. I had no problems getting
wi-fi in my room, and when my computer mouse died on me, I was pleased to find a computer already set up for several languages just outside my room.
The staff was very kind, and helpful. They offered tour assistance, excellent food recommendations, and gave me options for inexpensive ways to get around town..
I will definately stay here again, recommend it to my other airline friends.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Bahamas
Reviewed November 6, 2009

The hotel and restaurant management and staff were worthy of any 5 star hotel I've ever stayed at. No request was ignored and each was met by a genuine effort to satisfy our needs.

After a few days into a 16 night stay we were able to look forward to coming "home" at the end of the day.

Housekeping missed a few days, but this could have been the result of our staying in the room later than normal on those days. This is why we have given a less than perfect score.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Evanston, Il
Reviewed July 10, 2009

This is a wonderful place to stay in Jerusalem and use as a base for daytrips in the area. The extremely helpful and friendly staff guided us during our stay and were particularly helpfuled with directions to our next destination. The daily breakfast was very tasty and just right for starting out the day. The location is perfect for access to both the Old City sites and getting a sense of daily life in the happening Jerusalem neigborhoods. We were traveling with children and the free Wifi access, extra computer terminals, and refrigerator were a big plus!

A great place to stay!