“A living example of how not to care for your customers.”

Dan Panorama Jerusalem
Ranked #22 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Glasgow
“A living example of how not to care for your customers.”
Reviewed April 25, 2009

For reasons I do not fully understand, Israeli hotel prices are still artificuially high. It appears they are doing great business. Unfortunately, some of the hotels doing great business do not deserve their success, and this one is a prime example.

The room rate was $220 which was very expensive. I had a basic room which was acceptable had the price been $110. It was clean enough, but shabby and badly in need of refurbishment.

We arrived late (after midnight) and the front desk staff and check in were fine. I had asked for an extra bed and this had been dealt with.

We were getting up to meet people at breakfast in the hotel. Unfortunately, the shower did not work properly. The fixed shower head would only deliver cold water and it was leaking, slightly, as well. The moveable handheld shower head did manage to deliver hot water, but it was leaking too and so there was water everywhere. We were in a hurry so we put down some towels, showered and got down to breakfast.

It was a buffet, at least that is what it was supposed to be. The food was poor. It was as if somebody had decided they no longer cared. The hot food was left to get cold in inadequate heating. The bread choice was one type of roll and one loaf. There were plentiful salads but some had seen better days. There was nobody tidying up the food area. The coffee first delivered was cold.

Incidentally, the gym is poor. The opening hours were not great, either.

At checkout I complained. The clerk said there was nothing she can do. (Apparently front desk staff have no authority to give credits, etc, in case they give away too much...) The on call manager was firm and resolute. It was too late to do anything about it now. That, as you may appreciate, is a summary. I told him that it was obvious the problem with the shower was long standing but he was not interested. In fact, he was not interested in anything I said. The word 'sorry' did not pass his lips. He, also, was not prepared to do anything for me.

The bottom line is that I did not need, or necessarily want, money off. I wanted to see a bit of customer care; a bit of customer service. But there was none. The impression - which, regrettably, seems to be a truism - is that the management do not care. So, you had a bad experience in our hotel? Tough.

There will be people who will get through a stay at this hotel and it will seem fine. (Though I would like to know what they thought of the prices.) But, based on my experience, if there's a problem, do not expect them to care about you.

I won't be going back there and neither will any of my family. Do yourselves a favour and stay away.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BusyConsultant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
chicago
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Our family and friends just returned from a 6 night stay at this lovely hotel. As it was both Passover and Easter, the hotel was filled. We had several specific needs for meeting rooms and for seder. The hotel went out of their way to insure that all of our needs were met. Especially helpful was Marcel Salomon, guest relations manager.

We would defintiely stay there again. The location, the facilities and the staff were excellent.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Montreal
Reviewed April 12, 2009

If you are looking for impeccable service and quality meals, theis is the hotel to stay at. You will not be disappointed. The staff is courteous and attentive, and all amenities are looked after at all times.

• Stayed April 2009
Colorado
Reviewed April 4, 2009

We just returned from our trip to Israel, I had read some of the previous reviews and was a little nervous. When we got into to our room, I said to my husband, what were those people talking about! It was very nice., comfy bed, soft sheets. Whenever we would call the front desk for something, they would call 15 minutes after to see if we got what we needed. I was impressed, that doesn't happen in the u.s. even in some 5 stars we've stayed at.

• Stayed March 2009
brooklyn
Reviewed March 4, 2009

I loved my stay at the Dan Panorama in Jerusalem...
The rooms were large and spacious and the wait staff in the restaurant and dining room were excellent...
We celebrated my son's bar-mitzvah in the penthouse suite and were very impressed with the view, the decor and the menu...

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
NJ
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Just returned from a week at Dan Panorama Jerusalem
I am an experienced traveller to Jerusalem
Very pleasant stay-I initially had trouble with the rooms :first one smelled very bad and the second was right over the traffic outside-but the staff was amazing and switched me to a great room-
very fine staff, very responsive management
the housekeeping is phenomenal-
only suggestion-if some of the rooms are below par-why put guests there?

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 22, 2009

This hotel was quite a disappointment
Our room intermittently smelled of sewage which permeated the floor and apparently a number of other floors as well by report of other guests. We were in fact woken up one morning by the stench. When I spoke to the front desk, manager they said they were aware of problem, shrugged when I asked how they were going to fix it, couldnt explain why they were putting people in rooms where this was a problem, and couldnt move us at the time. Water also leaked from a pipe in the closet onto our clothes and when maintenance came up to fix it, I noticed that the pipe was wrapped with tape in a number of places including where the leak was coming from. The fix was to put a pan under the leak and when I asked why they didnt repair it, received the same shrug.
The front desk personnel almost uniformly appeared either bored or annoyed when queried about anything. At one point when I asked to speak to the manager, I was told he was away for a few days and was referred to a young man who was apparently head of security for the shift and not able to offer much help regarding the rooms.

On a more minor note, the exercise room is dark and tiny, with a couple of pieces of equipment .

Overall this is a poorly run budget-quality hotel that is priced much higher than that. I would have thought that the Dan chain (which includes the King David) would be embarassed to have it on their roster, and they should consider investing some resources to get customer service up to a reasonable standard

• Liked — It was in Jerusalem
  • Disliked — The stench, the poorly trained staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)