“A Very Nice Hotel & In An Excellent Location”

Dan Panorama Jerusalem
Ranked #21 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Sierra Vista, AZ
“A Very Nice Hotel & In An Excellent Location”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First of all I really enjoyed staying at this hotel, not only because it was in Jerusalem and I was already in holiday mode and having a blast, but because the hotel was upscale, comfortable, and very nice. The hotel room was much like other hotel rooms in America - I would have never known I was in Israel, except of course when in the lobby areas where you had that wonderful international vibe of different languages. I loved the big windows in the hotel room - it's an older hotel establishment and so has that wonderful charm I love. It's not a cookie cutter hotel. It's a charming older building filled with up-scaled beauty and old architectural designs. Loved it!! Also when we first arrived, my daughter and I were placed in a smoking room. I can't breathe in a smoking room. We went back down to the lobby and check-in area, and I told the nice employee our dilemma. He was very nice and professional - he understood the situation and placed us into a non-smoking room on the ninth floor which was more elaborate, but only had the one bed, but again for only one night until we could be moved into a 2 bedroom non-smoking the next day. He saved my life!! He was pleasant, professional and a great employee. When he was taking care of us, another man was questioning him in a foreign language - a European language - and he answered the man in that language. I was so impressed. I asked him how many languages he knew and he said four. Anyways on this trip to Israel we never had to stand in the check in or check out areas. When we arrived at the hotels we were taken to a large area where we were given orange juice and cookies and immediately handed our keys or the keys were all laid out on a table for us to pick up. It was done very quickly. In no time at all we were in our rooms. And out luggage was either at our doors or came a few minutes later. We never met the hotel staff usually. Then when we were to check out - we didn't have to - we just left our luggage by our doors and someone came and got them and took them down to our bus We just had to walk down to breakfast and then hop on our bus. This time was different as we were placed in a smoking room, and had to change rooms. All the other hotels we were placed in non-smoking rooms. I would recommend going to Israel with Inspired Travel. They really take care of you. You stay in 5 star hotels, get 2 guaranteed meals a day - breakfast and dinner - other travel agencies only offer occasional dinners. We also got a lot of lunches too. We went to a lot more sites than the other tours - the other tours charge more calling the excursions -optional - for us they were part of the price upfront. We had nice comfortable air-conditioned buses that became our home during the day as we explored, hiked and took in all the sites for each day, and then toward evening we were taken to our hotels that were so inviting, comfortable and relaxing. The Dan Panorama was one of those lovely hotels. One day we got 1/2 day of free time, and so my daughter and I walked to a road just behind the hotel where we discovered the YMCA and the King David Hotel. Absolutely beautiful - both of them!! We went inside both of them and took pictures, and then we traveled down the road and wound up at an up-scale mall - the Jaffa Gate Mall - near the Old City of Jerusalem. I loved that mall! It was an outdoor mall, built in old-ancient stone. We shopped and ate at a lovely café. Jerusalem is gorgeous, and that mall was incredible. A lot of our tour group went on into the Old City, but it would be quite a lot of walking and already that day we had been out walking, and so we didn't go any further as we still had about a 10 minute walk to get back to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
DanHotelsIsrael, Guest Relations Manager at Dan Panorama Jerusalem, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Skyscape049,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. Your kind appraisal of our team is truly valued, especially your commendations to our front desk team members.
We're so delighjted you had such a lovely experience with us and enjoyed all that our conevenient local area has to offer.
Looking forward to welcome you back,
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just finished spending a very frustrating 9 days at the hotel - was there as one of the convention hotels my group was using and I have never been to a hotel where nothing works and when old management could have cared less about the issues. They have guest services staff who are supposed to trouble shoot problems but what happens when you are told to go to them and they can not trip over their feet any more if they tried. I need to go back to Jerusalem in the future but I would be hard pressed to think of any reason to stay here and I would warn you if you want more than just a bed to sleep in this is not the place for you. I also have asked to speak to the general manager to air my issues but have not been given his contact information in any time that I called front desk or asked the Director of Guest Services directly.

Room Tip: Execuitve level rooms are supposed to be an improvement from regular rooms so attempt to get one of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear agbcpa01,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experiences; it is always through guest feedback from which we are able to develop our services.
Your somewhat frustrating experience does not seem to be in line with the usual standards we strive to achieve throughout Dan Hotels and we are always disappointed to hear when a guest feels that we have fallen short.

We'd hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when we can show you we can do so much better.

With Kind regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Not the fanciest or most amazing place but a solid place for a good price. Breakfast is very good, with a large selection of great foods. Service is on time and pleasant. Hotel is clean and maintained well. Location is very good, close to the Old City, the City Center, the German Colony and more.

• Stayed April 2013
DanHotelsIsrael, Guest Relations Manager at Dan Panorama Jerusalem, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Avja,

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to become your home away from home, during your visit to Jerusalem. I am thrilled to read that you found our breakfast, service and location enjoyable and will be sure to pass on your kind remarks to the whole team.
I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back,

Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent four nights at the Dan Panorama in April, 2013. The hotel provides free wifi in the lobby and has a nice bar and terrific breakfast buffet. Its location is perfect, as it is near the King David Hotel and the Yemin Moshe disrict, with the wonderful view of the old city especially at twilight. It is near Independence Park with the replica of the Liberty Bell. There are a few nice restaurants close by and the hotel to us was clean and service was prompt.
Based on Trip advisor reviews, we asked for an executive room on the 9th floor, and we were very glad that we did, as this made our stay special. We had access to the Executive Lounge. When we arrived, our room was not quite ready. No problem. We just went to the lounge and had a nice drink and some snacks. The room has a terrific view of the old city and the YMCA and King David Hotel. There is an outside area where we could enjoy fresh air and the view.
But what made this stay at the hotel special was the person in charge of the Lounge. It is due to him that this review is being written. Ibrahim Al Hawa greeted us and did not just check our room number to be sure we were allowed access to the lounge as other workers would have done. He greeted us with a huge and infectious smile that said WELCOME all over it. He asked us about ourselves and got to know us and even told us he had a relative who lives close to our home in Florida. He actively assisted us and strove to make us comfortable. We got to know about him and his family and he went out of his way to make our stay special. When I mentioned that the next day was my wife's birthday and we wished to find a special restaurant to celebrate, Ibrahim suggested a most romantic and lovely place not far from the hotel. We absolutely loved the restaurant and will never forget that he directed us there. But he went beyond this! When my wife entered the Lounge that evening, out came Ibrahim with a huge birthday cake and candles just for her! This brought tears to my wife's eyes and was a moment we will treasure for the rest of our days. The Dan Panorama is blessed that such a warm and kind person as Ibrahim is there, and they should be proud that he is striving to make such a difference to the many people he meets daily. Because of him we will always remember our stay with pleasure and gratitude. We hope he is priveleged to assist many others in the future. We also wish his son great success in medical school!

1 Thank paul f
Dear Paul f,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us and for choosing the Dan Panorama Jerusalem to celebrate your wife's birthday. Thank you for your appraisal of Ibrahim Al Hawa and the team; I will certainly share your comments with the entire team for I am sure they will also be pleased to learn of your recognition of their attention to detail.
We can’t wait to welcome you back soon!

Rome, Italy
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Location was superb and this, together with the inspiring views, the atmosphere, the decor, and the design, which is a delightful fusion of old and new, very representative of modern-day jerusalem , all went to making this an excellent place to stay.
Staff were helpful and the room was comfortable, with a delightful view.
The location is excellent for exploring the Old City.
We were very comfortable and we have already told several friends about the conveniences and location within fairly easy reach of the Old City.
The Breakfast is fabulous: very good assortiment, changing every day
I would like to return there and will be delighted to recommend it to my friends

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DanHotelsIsrael, Guest Relations Manager at Dan Panorama Jerusalem, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear tom12121212,

Thank you for choosing the Dan Panorama Jerusalem; I am thrilled to read your kind remarks with regard to our location, atmosphere, fabulous breakfasts and service team, your kind words are highly appreciated.
I will certainly share your commendations with the entire staff as I am certain that they will be most appreciative of your appraisal. Thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends; We highly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you again in the near future!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I totally agree with Jeffrey P's review. I have so many disgusting remarks that I can't list them all and my husband and I have been all around the world in different hotels. This one really is one of the worst. They have just changed management so that might account for the inconsistencies and lying that goes on there. I have reviewed many places and hotels on tripadvisor but I feel compelled to write a long review on this hotel. Stay at your own risk if you will. We came from the Crowne Plaza Tel Aviv and had a marvelous experience so this is not usual for me.
Pros - hot water, 20 minute walk to old city (not 5 min. as stated on their website)
Cons - no concierge (pass bellboys off at desk) and they (and the front desk) either no nothing about the city or can't be bothered helping the guests.. All they do is try to push taxis on you (they get a commission for that, I presume). Some at front desk are rude and the rest ignorant.
- there is no WiFi in room and did not mention that when we booked (altho the manager did point out to me that it is in "small" letters on the web. Did not mention we could pay for it in the room.
- rooms are bare (looks more like a hostel) even though we got "upgraded" to an executive room but was informed we could not use the "executive lounge" unless we paid $20/person/day.I see on their website that our floor was entitled to use the lounge but they said no then when I complained about the hotel, they gave us the executive lounge for two nights. Nice concierge in that lounge but finger food is "not" worth the price.
- Room smelled of mold until you put the air conditioning on. When they cleaned room the toilets smelled of urine for a while until you flushed it. No ice on floors, have to order ice.
Our hotel safe was not working and they fixed it and we used it and then it didn't work again with our possessions in it. I freaked out until they finally opened it up. They are old and breaking down.
Buffet breakfast looks good at first glance until you stay there for a few days. Inconsistent. Bread (rolls) was hard and I assume they were from the dinner the night before. Pasta the same thing. We checked the dinner one night and it was very sparse ($40/person) and then the next night it had much more.The buffet starts at 6:30 a.m. but beware, chef that makes "good eggs & pancakes" does not start until maybe 7 a.m. or 7:30 a.m. or as I was told maybe 8:00 a.m. so the people on tours that have to eat early are missing half of the breakfast at that time. If you say buffet starts at 6:30 a.m. then everything should be ready to go at that time.
- no tuck shop so you cannot buy water, pop or anything else needed last minute.
- old elevators made to look new. If you are on the 8th floor and want to go up, you are at the mercy of someone pressing the button down below. Maybe it will let you go up but you will have to go down to the first floor if someone got there before you can so go up. Is that nonsense?
I talked to someone who was complaining on the 3rd floor that they had no plugs in the washroom to shave and no hairdryer. Other people were complaining but they were on group tours and got out after a couple of days. My husband and I were by ourselves and stayed there 8 nights so I know what I speak.
- be very careful of the taxis in the front of the hotel. They are sharks (I realize that they too have to make a living) but they consider tourists cash cows so have them put the meters on and still watch. One tried to tell us a lot more than what the meter read. Of course the Dan Panorama (and maybe other hotels) get a commissions so the front desk wouldn't even consider telling us how to get around by bus even though the new buses run up and down in front of the hotel. The front desk was even rude when I asked how to get to the Israel Museum by bus. One person pointed to the front door and said "out there".....
- there is a shortcut via a lovely park at the end of the street to get to the Java gate old city. When I asked them at the front they didn't even know the park (or pretended not to) even tho I googled the shortcut to show them. People told me later that they heard what happened and it was discussing.
Some taxi drivers told us to complain as they know what is happening in this hotel. For the price you pay the value is terrible.
Overall my husband and I had a great time in Jerusalem, getting around by ourselves but this hotel surely put a damper on our trip.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 3rd floor. Apparently the rooms are in even worse shape then the higher floors...
2 Thank MxSmrs
DanHotelsIsrael, Guest Relations Manager at Dan Panorama Jerusalem, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear MxSmrs,
Thank you for this feedback following your recent stay with us.
The experiences mentioned could not be further from the standards we strive to acheive and we can only apologize that we seemed to have fallen so far short.
We have been sure to take note of all your comments for immediate attention by both our in-house managers and higher up in the chain; thank you for highlighting these areas for us.
The management tried their best to satisfy your every desire, but alas, unfortunately, this time regretfully we were left unsuccessful. We would hope that we may have another opportunity to better the impression for next time; as such, should you desire, please be in touch with us directly so as we can monitor the reservation details personally.
With regrets,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I am no hotel night like 90 something this year already. I have stayed at the best and the worst. Most are so usual I don't write about them. This place is especially problematic. Location is great. Hotel is run down, staff is very nice but have no clue on what they are doing. The internet is super slow and you have to pya $20 a day for it. Just stay somewhere else. The place has the vibe of a run down Ramada in Jonesboro AR. There is no spa, its been closed for sometime now.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
DanHotelsIsrael, Guest Relations Manager at Dan Panorama Jerusalem, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear JeffreyP,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback concerning your recent stay with us; it is through comments such as these that we are able to develop our offerings.
We're delighted that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and all that the surrounding area has to offer.
Moreover, the more constructive comments you noted are somewhat concerning, it is always a regret when guests feel that we have fallen short.
Whilst it comes a little too late to rectify for you on this occasion, we have been sure to pass on your comments to relevant managers for attention; thank you for highlighting these areas to us.
We would of course love the opportunity to welcome you back to show you we can do so much better; as such, should you desire, please do be in touch with me directly so that I may be able to monitor your booking personally.
With kind regards for now,