“Still Great but Please sort out the Food!”
Review of The King David

The King David
Ranked #12 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed August 28, 2012

If you want luxury then there is no question - you stay at the King David in Jerusalem. I have just re-read my last review of the hotel in 2010 and everything I said has remained the same. The hotel is even better now that so many of the rooms have been refurbished. I won't describe them as there are so many different sizes and lay outs but the ones facing the Old City are all great especially because of the amazing views.
The other thing that hasn't changed is the food. Last time I stayed I spoke to the Food and Beverage manager who seemed shocked that I wasn't happy with the food. I told him that a hotel that regularly hosts heads of state and celebrities needs to be serving michelin quality food not chicken soup with stodgy kneidlach. I don't want them to get rid of the traditional menus but to offer the same food but a better quality version. I don't think its too much to ask.
Yes I will continue to stay here when I return as I love it, but I will not eat my dinner in the hotel dining room.
The dairy restaurant is quite nice though.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank ilana613
Write a ReviewReviews (1,545)

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have stayed mere many times before. (see previous reviews) This hotel never gets tired. The service is to notch, and the dining room experience is the best I have experienced ever. There are a group of waiters who run the dining room, some of whom that have been there for over 40 years! they cater to your every whim, and they cant do enough for you.

The rooms have been updated since I have been there last, and it is always a pleasure to come to this unique and special hotel.

Room Tip: get an old city garden suite
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tedoworld
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Our party consisted of 3 adults, including a young violinist ( my wife's sister), and our three boys. We felt very welcome, again. We enjoyed the views of the old city, and for the first time, used the pool and enjoyed it very much though it was crowded. While the hotel was very busy, including a wedding the day we arrived ( beautifully done), it usually did not feel too crowded. The fruit juices at breakfast were a hit. Maya, who welcomed us, invited us for coffee, and made sure we were extremely well taken care of. She told us a fascinating story about the visit of a British soldier who had been stationed at the hotel before Israel's independence. My wife and sister enjoyed the lobby and bar until 3 am, and pretty much had the place to themselves.
We have looked at some of the other hotels nearby, but my wife, who is a stickler for design, will not stay anywhere else. She noticed all the interior decoration details and strongly approved of all of them. We did miss the regular front office team on our last day due to Ramadan,and the more experienced concierges, but hope to see them next time. Overall, a highly recommended hotel that will enhance your Jerusalem experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2012

What a great hotel. Grand olod dame of the old city. Great location in the old city,. Great Food. Fantastic breakfast buffets. Top class service. Rooms very appealing with all the comforts. Loved their beds and batthrooms. You feel a piece of history of Jerusalem when you stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a patio room. Dont miss teaq time with fantastic croissanmts and pastries.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is an absolutely fantastic hotel. Book and you will not be disappointed. You will be staying a piece of Israeli history. The breakfasts are unbelievable and the service is outstanding. The rooms are lovely and well maintained. If you are hungry during the night or fancy a drink, just contact room service and they will be up immediately with your desired sustenance.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the old city.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vicky M
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The hotel is big and grand, but I don't think it meets the standards of most of the hotels I have stayed in. A little too much traffic in the hotel, and service a little less then expected. But having said that, I will say the patio rooms which are on a lower floor, have a beautiful patio to lounge or sit and read while listening to the sounds of Jerusalem. I have also stayed at the American Colony Hotel, and it has a much quieter pace.

Room Tip: A higher floor will get a better view of the "Old City".
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike741776 .
DanHotelsIsrael, Management at The King David, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Dear Guest,
We have read your review with interest and appreciate your constructive criticism.
As regards your remark about "traffic", it is important to mention that the King David receives most of the year a considerable majority of adult guests, including the high ranking official delegations. As a consequence, the hotel usually enjoys a peaceful and quiet atmosphere. However, there are a few days at the peak of summer holidays that the hotel is particularly full and accommodates families with many children. This might explain the movement and agitation you experienced.
We will be delighted to welcome you back and book for you one of your favorite and peaceful Garden Rooms overlooking the Old City.
Kind Regards,
The Hotel Management.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

There is not much competition, or perhaps I should say “not enough competition” in the high-end of the hotel market in the city of Jerusalem to encourage this Grand Dame of a hotel to improve on some of its services. Although the hotel has been around since the early 1930’s and has seen many prominent guests over the years it does not excuse the hotel from needlessly charging its customers for internet use in the room, particularly when one considers the extremely high price required for rooms here. I hope that someone in management will soon wake up to the fact that progressive hotels are thankfully not charging their customers for use of internet in the room – certainly this out of date approach needs to be addressed at this hotel and hopefully soon.

The beds in our room consisted of two single beds put together as opposed to one King or Queen sized bed. I was not in the mood to arguer about this point but I think that for $500 a night one might be able to sleep in one bed rather than two singles and falling in between the cracks so to speak.

As for the location of the hotel it is quite good as it’s just a few minutes walk to the nearby Old City of Jerusalem. The hotel’s pool is also a nice and recent addition, however in my view they should consider keeping it open passed the current hours of 8PM during the week and 7PM on Fridays and Saturdays.

As for nearby restaurants the hotel suggested Kathy’s referred to as a “French restaurant”, which was a complete disaster with respect to the incredibly poor service and very mediocre food, however if you are a fan of John McCain the misguided American politician who periodically dines there then perhaps you might like the yahoo atmosphere, bland food and hostile ambience - perhaps the owner needs a long holiday.

Another nearby option is Manhane Yehuda restaurant (located just outside of the Manhane Yehuda Market), which from the outside appears to simply be just another restaurant. However, once inside the party begins as you are introduced to a wild array of visual, audio and olfactory senses to stimulate the mind, body and soul. The restaurant consists of an open area, which contains a small triangular shaped cooking area where six men attend the various cooking stations within and where the party atmosphere is enhanced by the contagious music that is pumped up and out throughout the dining room. The food is good to competent and the atmosphere is wonderful and very unique.

Reflecting upon the hotel for a moment I think it also appropriate to mention the tennis court available beside the pool where the local tennis pro (Avi) is available to teach. It was a real pleasure to have hit the ball with Avi while trying to avoid the teams of secret service agents, security personnel and Mit Romney as well as other members of the happy political gang as they rolled through town on their international jaunt to support the recently appointed Republican leader who hopes to do what John McCain was incapable of doing – being compassionate and intelligent you ask no, not that but that would certainly be a welcome bonus.

As for the breakfast at this hotel it was quite impressive and although no mention is made of the available omlettes from the kitchen if you will ask nicely I am sure that your waiter will be more than happy to accommodate you.

If you found this review helpful then please be so kind as to click the appropriate link to indicate this. Thank you and happy travels.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank JimboBerlin
DanHotelsIsrael, Management at The King David, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
It was a genuine aesthetic pleasure to read your humorous, yet vigilant and comprehensive review.
We appreciate that between the lines you did kindly acknowledge the advantage of our superb location, the beautiful swimming pool and our impressive breakfasts. As you justly noticed, prominent international State leaders are our regular customers - along with our multiple returning guests, which obliges us to aspire to the utmost perfection of service. Therefore, we profoundly appreciate your contribution to it.
As regards the internet service, in fact we are among the pioneer top hotels in Israel to have lately introduced free Wi-Fi connection in the public areas of the hotel. As far as the sleeping arrangement is concerned, twin beds are easily convertible into a King size set, upon request. It is not always easy to guess this in advance, if the hotel is not informed accordingly.
We are thankful for your remark about the unfortunate dining experience outside the hotel. We always rely on our guests' feedbacks for future recommendations.
We would like to assure you that with your kind backing, our "Respectable Old Dame" will be "updated" in the nearest perspective and will open her arms towards your next stay with us.
Warm Regards,