“Sufficient”
Review of Mount Zion Hotel

Mount Zion Hotel
Ranked #20 of 102 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This hotel was outdated in the rooms and the staff left something to be desired. Food was extremely overpriced. Closei-ish to downtown, but not truly close, especially in the rain! Overall. Wasn't too impressed and would look for an alternate hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica M
Hannan S, Deputy Geneeral Manager at Mount Zion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience in our hotel which we understand left you unimpressed. We regret that the location and style were not to your liking, that the staff "left something to be desired" and that you found the food over-priced. We hope that on your next visit to Jerusalem the sun will shine...

Reviewed March 12, 2014

This was a nice hotel. A little strange as it is built on a mountain and you go down to get to your room. A little unique. Food was very good. Full buffet breakfast, Not close to any eating places.
Enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hannan S, Deputy General Manager at Mount Zion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We were delighted you enjoyed your stay but are sorry that you left with the impression that the hotel is located "not too close to any eating places".
The front desk staff would have been happy to recommend any one of the six restaurants located in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. Perhaps on your next visit...

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Excellent but outdated 70'ies hotel with pretty incompetent front desk when it comes too excursions. Poor advise on how to get to Bethlehem. Rooms a bit run down. TV has hardly any international stations. Staff speaks English. Excellent breakfast. Noisy street with obnoxious taxi drivers, but take bus 21/24. Spa or Hammam overpriced. Internet a Bit clumsy and slow but free. Not sure if recommendable.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 3HW
Hannan S, Deputy General Manager at Mount Zion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We regret any poor service you recieved but appreciate your feedback which we recognize as constructive criticism. We charge reasonable prices for treatments in our Spa while our guests enjoy complimentary use of the Hammam, jaccuzzi and fitness center. Since you also use the word "excellent" in your review we hope you will recommend our hotel and choose to return when next in Jerusalem.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Recently stayed in this hotel on a business trip with my husband and had a great experience. The decor is very clean and Middle Eastern in appearance. The rooms are large and ours had recently been renovated with a large bathroom with all the amenities. The lobby is large and airy with great views, and has a nice little bar at one end that serves cocktails and appetizers/salads from the kitchen. The staff was very helpful with cabs and restaurant advice…there are two restaurants within an easy five minute walk…one in a Cineplex building and the other in a converted railroad station…both were great. There is an incredible breakfast buffet within the hotel that is not to be missed. Two points to bare in mind…the hotel sits near the top of a hill, so you actually walk down into its lobby, and there are several flights of stairs once inside between floors, the dining room, etc. I loved the exercise, but it might be a challenge from others. Secondly, the beds were not great…I think a firmer mattress and better sheets would be a huge plus. That being said, my husband and I stayed at the David, a much trendier/costly hotel and would choose this because of its lovely ambience and proximity to Old Jerusulem.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your warm review and for having taken the time to write one. We were delighted to read that your experience at the Mount Zion was a positive one but were sorry if you were not informed of the location of the three elevators that serve all six floors. Since rooms located in the older section of the building also require taking stairs we recommend our handicapped guests to request a room that can be reached by elevator alone .

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I'm a regular traveler to Jerusalem for business but this is my first time at the Mt. Zion, which is a short cab ride from my organization's main office.

This is a lovely old building with incredible views of the Old City, large rooms and a very Middle-Eastern feel. I enjoyed just walking through the halls and gazing out the various windows. I had a business meeting in the lobby and the only problem was focusing on my guest, as she was sitting in a chair with a stunning view behind her.

The rooms are comfortable, I had a large bathtub accessed up a flight of steps as in a movie, and the staff was friendly and helpful. I think they should upgrade the linens on the bed, the bottom sheet felt thin and scratchy over some sort of plastic, and that's about the only thing I could find wrong except that the bathroom had some partially-used products left behind in it, meaning it wasn't that well-cleaned before my arrival. The private patio off my room was a plus.

Be aware that this is almost comically NOT disabled-friendly. I couldn't get my large suitcase down the stairs to my room by myself and for the first time in a while needed a bellman. The hotel is built on a lot of levels with a lot of steps and that's part of the charm, but you won't even make it to breakfast if you can't climb a few stairs. (That breakfast is excellent, btw.)

All in all, why stay in a chain or some modern minimalist boutique when you can feel like you're really in Jerusalem? I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 551 is huge and has its own patio...thank you MZ for upgrading a tired American to this nice sp...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank njp77
Hannan S, Deputy General Manager at Mount Zion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We were delighted that you appreciated the style of the hotel, that you enjoyed your stay and would gladly return. We would, however, like to clarify that we do have rooms suitable for the disabled and the two steps required to reach the dining room can be converted into a ramp for those of our guests that use a wheelchair.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I just spent a wonderful 5 nights with several friends at the Mount Zion. Many rooms have undergone recent refurbishment and the hotel has a relaxed and friendly feel. Staff were courteous and very helpful. The breakfast is truly outstanding with choices for the most discerning traveller.
Pros: location, price, friendly staff, cleanliness.

Cons: not all rooms have good city views

Summary: we'll certainly be back. An excellent hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

We greatly appreciate you having taken the time to write a review and for sharing how much you enjoyed your stay and that you would gladly return. It gives us both pleasure and satisfaction.Thank you.

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

I was on a trip to Jerusalem at night and needed a place to stay during the day... I usually love this hotel... But instead of getting the good days sleep I had planned... Construction was going on in the room beside or above me and even though I complained nothing was done!!!
I love this hotel but because of this I don't know if they will see me again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Nus111

We were sorry to learn from your review that on a recent visit to our hotel you were unable to rest during the day as you had planned, because of "construction". It is quite true that we have been refurbishing our guest rooms but we would have expected our front desk, after hearing your complaint, to have offered to move you to a quieter area. For this lack of service we offer our sincere apologies and hope that you will, nevertheless, consider returning when you next stay in Jerusalem.