Jerusalem Gate Hotel
Royal Wing Hotel(Jerusalem)
Avital House(Jerusalem)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This hotel seems to be frequented mainly by ultra-orthodox Jews and maybe they don't mind the poor quality and awful service. Supposedly 4-star, probably not worth two, it is shabby, run-down and poky. The bedroom was very basic with a very old television and the bathroom needs renewing with bits missing from the bath. Breakfast is OK but nothing special, the omlets need avoiding and croissants are not readily available, you have to ask.

My main beef was the noise from a group of youngsters on our floor, making much noise until four o'clock in the morning. It took three complaints to security to tone it down, but we could still hear the bongo drums and singing further down the corridor, and the constant door slamming. We would have left the hotel at 3.30am but the car park was locked until 6am.

We complained at the front desk in the morning and they knew who we were without asking. We demanded a full refund for the one-night stay and the general manager, Josh Avia, was not prepared to offer more than half as we had had some sleep, albeit interrupted by the cleaning staff barging into the room at 8.00am. Indicating that I would sue for the full refund plus damages, his attitude was could not care less and when I indicated that I was a member of TripAdvisor and would post this comment he threatened to sue me. His comments included that we could have asked to move or that we could have found another hotel (at 3.30am!). He might learn something by reading other comments on this site, as well as mine.

Only when I walked away from him did he tell the reception staff, in Hebrew, to give me a full refund after we had paid a ridiculous 150 shekels for two breakfasts; we would have got far better value in the mall next door. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Not even to an enemy. Mr Avia has much to learn about customer care. According to him, he is not responsible for the conduct of his guests.

"Tell other travelers more about this hotel " None of the 14 points apply. Add "Avoid".

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank david_kravitz
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We found a 'deal' on Expedia for $100/night, a good price for a 4-star hotel with an average location, close to the central bus station in Jerusalem. Unfortunately the quality of the room was everything but 4-star! The first room we got was on the 7th floor , with a nice view and two single beds as requested on booking (I was traveling with my brother ), unfortunately the interior and furniture was run down, the toilet seat broken and there was a strong cigarette smell and even an old cigarette butt in the toilet, rather surprising as all rooms were supposed to be non-smoking! Also, this room was rather dirty. I went to the lobby and asked for another room which was given to us, but unfortunately this room was pretty lousy also; no view, though they write on the website that all rooms have mountain views, again the interior had seen better days, and we were given an awfully uncomfortable double sofa bed instead of the twin beads that we had booked. There was also a normal sofa in the room, so we got room service to bring linens and sheets for this sofa, as it seemed that this room was the standard of the hotel. On a more positive note there was a flat screen television in this room and the room and toilet seemed a little bit cleaner than the first. On their website Jerusalem Gate Hotel had written that all rooms had WIFI, but again we were disappointed as we were told that the price was $8 per hour. While the website didn't directly tell that the usage of WIFI was free it certainly didn't say that it wasn't! The complementary breakfast buffet was big and all right, but certainly different from what you get in Europe or the US, and probably not to everyone's taste. The hotel had many big groups of mainly young people from the US staying and they were extremely noisy until well past midnight every night making it impossible to sleep. All in all I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel if it is possible to stay anywhere else, but my experience with hotels in Israel is that they are expensive and not very good!

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I'm sorry but this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. The floor they gave us had a sewage problem so that our four night stay stank with a mix between mildew and death. The rooms were like mental asylum holding cells, with the furniture made for midgets. The staff seemed disinterested and uncaring, and did not answer our frequent requests for towels, air freshener, etc. The food was bland and tasteless. However the worst part was that our group of 31 collectivly lost over $1000 dollars. Apparently, some of the cleaning staff broke into the room one night and stole between 40-100 dollars from each room. If you can, stay as far as you can from this place

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank smellypumpkins
Reviewed June 6, 2009

I agree with the other reviewers--this hotel leaves a lot to be desired\. The location to the Central Bus Station is the only redeeming feature.
The rooms are horrible. If they change the sheets once a week you will be lucky.
While I stayed there they did not make my bed twice in a 7 day period.
The smell is awful, the Tv did not work properly and there appeared to be a shortage of clean towels.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2009

extremely large building with a glitzy reception area after this the style deteriorates dramatically.Lifts are very small despite this it is easier to take your own luggage than wait for the disinterested staff/ porters to bring it to your room.Dont ask any questions at reception you will be ignored.Staff are rude with the exception of the coffee shop manager
Rooms are grimy poorly furnished and extremely niosy either from airconditioning or traffic
Food is very limited and atrocious
Hotel had many large student groups and extremely noisy
Tables were not reserved on arrival and when they were the name was wrong.. Very far away from the old city
Only suitable perhaps for a credit crunched business traveller certainly not for a religous group

• Stayed: May 2009