“Great Place to Stay!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #41 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Some of the reviews make it hard to believe I'm reading about the same hotel! No serious problems during my ten night stay late Sep/early Oct 2009. I actually had more trouble with a couple of taxi drivers than with the hotel. One driver in particular made a loud, ugly scene in the lobby which I thought should not have been allowed by hotel management, particularly by "Israel" who was on duty at the desk and did nothing. Other than that, the hotel employees were normally very willing to assist and at times went out of their way to accomodate. Benny the concierge, Gila the maid, the two young women at the front desk, bellboys Elad and Gisha, the downstairs restaurant manager, and others were very kind and helpful. Some of the rooms can be smallish but mine on the upper floors were spacious and though not newly remodeled they were very comfortable and mostly clean with big, lighted closets, comfortable chairs, lovely comfy beds (hard pillows?), and nice walk-out balconies. Those balconies! I loved it... Right across from the bus station with the big clock and the huge modern sculpture "David's Harp." Food in the large downstairs dining hall was quite good; the manager there was very attentive and willing to please, and although the wait staff was exceptionally kind and polite there seemed to be a shortage of workers. The chef and his staff are very creative and do some amazing things with kosher guidelines. Service in the lobby restaurant was extremely slow; we never quite found the reason for this. Most of the workers there would watch you sit down and make no effort to walk to the table; same story when trying to get the check. I have seen reviews here criticizing even the elevators, but this hotel has excellent, very efficient elevators; some of the very best I've seen anywhere. Is someone being paid to write these ugly reviews? True, the location is not terribly central, but it's perfect if you're involved in events at the Convention Center (connected to hotel) or gov't business (Knesset & Supreme Court). Plan to rent a car or take a cab to the Old City and other sites. The cost of internet service was outrageous and there was no local TV coverage at all in English. If those two items had been different I would rate the hotel a "5." The retail stores in this hotel aren't too shabby, either. I will stop in again to see Sammy, the House of Shalom folks, and the good people at Golani. Will definitely return to the Crowne Plaza; it was a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Dunctx
Judith G, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this reviewResponded 2 days ago

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Jerusalem. I am happy you were satisfied with the service you received from the hotel staff. Please be sure I've shared your comments with our faithful staff members and we all thank you for your kind words. Hope to host you again in a nearest future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,737)

Reviewed October 27, 2009

We just got home from spending 6 nights at this hotel. Location by the Knesset - good for that bad for the Old City - need to take a cab - at 50NIS each way! Only a few rooms have been renovated. Ours was old, dirty carpet and air conditioning was not working properly especially when it was in the 80s during the day. The lobby was nice so it fools you. However many many groups come and go - must be a good value - we would not know since our group booked it. The food was AWFUL!! We have been to Israel 3 times and we have stayed in 4 star hotels with good food - if this was 4 star I would hate to see 3 star! Buyer beware - if you don't care then take slippers so you don't have to walk on the carpet. We stayed on the 20th floor out of 21.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank TravlersIndiana
Judith G, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this reviewResponded 2 days ago

Reviewed August 27, 2009

I booked a week at the Jerusalem Crowne Plaza with a little trepidation after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, but the hotel was in the right location and they offered a good deal for a young family such as ours. (tip: check out the deals on the US site for IHG as they include more and the dolar prices are better)
We booked 8 days with breakfast and had most questions answered promptly by email before bookings. We were checked in quickly and offered an upgrade to a room on the 15th floor. This room appeared to have been renovated quite recently and had ample space for my Wife, two children and myself. The view from the room across the south of Jerusalem was stunning as was the sunset each night. Once the sunset goes down there is a largish LCD TV in the room showing a fair range of channels in a variety of languages.
The facilities at the hotel were very good. The pool was clean and was serviced at all times by a poolside attendant who looked after sun shades and sun loungers, and a lifeguard during pool opening hours. There was also a poolside shop for snacks and drinks but we didn't use it as it was a little pricey. The pool remains half covered throughout the day but the shallow end remains bathed in sunshine until late in the day. There is also a well equiped Kids Club by the pool. This isn't a creche for your kids but more of a place for them to drop in and out of when they're bored of the pool. They have arty stuff to keep them busy (if not a little mucky), a few games consoles and traditional games plus DVDs playing on a large TV.
The breakfasts were very good by Israeli standards. There was a huge choice of salads, breads, cheeses, cereals, freshly made omlettes, pancakes and waffles etc... plus coffee and teas served to your table.
There were, however, a few criticisms of the hotel. The room wasn't as clean as we would expect. The carpets were not hoovered within the week we were there, and the bathroom floor could have done with a wash too. The hotel seemed not to understand that there were four people in our room, each requiring one towel. Even after daily reminders we didn't get a towel each (but managed all the same!).
While the breakfasts definitely filled a hole all the way into the afternoon, the restaurant in the Lobby did not. They took far to long to serve our food and not all of it arrived due to faulty equipment. Having said that... you'd be better off going into town for food anyway.
The hotel as a whole does have a flavour of the 70's about it, being a former Hilton at the entrance to the city. They say it's being renovated and this is evident in some areas, but there were not obvious works going on while we were there apart from an archaeological dig in the middle of the front car park area (apparently Roman ruins according to the site foreman).
The hotel staff were very attentive and the concierge was extremely helpful with tips on places to go with the kids. I would add that some other reviewers had issues with staffs attitude but I found them to be typically Israeli (!) On our last day we checked out at 5.00am and were provided with four packed breakfasts for us to take with.
Finally you should be aware that this hotel is at the entrance to the city (at the end of route 1 from Tel Aviv and opposite (but not too close to) the central bus station. It's within walking distance of the Knesset and the Israel Museum and most importantly the bus station, which gives you access to practically everywhere in Jerusalem and the rest of the country. The bus stop into town is a 5 minute walk away or a taxi will set you back a little more, but not much.
Overall, this hotel was excellent value for what we paid. The issues we had were relatively minor and I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank mistersnappy_UK

Reviewed August 24, 2009

I checked in very early in the morning. I came to Jerusalem on a business trip (and it's always nice to see friends and family). The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. I wanted to get some sleep before a long day of meetings. I had a comfortable room on the 16th floor - a beautiful view.

Breakfast was great! It was exactly what I needed after a long flight. Nothing compares to a good Israeli breakfast.

During the weekend I had a chance to spend sometime at the swimming pool and to get a quick massage at the hotel spa. I have many reasons to come back to this special city. The spa is defiantly one of them.

Thank you good people of Crowne Plaza Jerusalem!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Shimondor

Reviewed August 14, 2009

I stayed in Crowne Plaza for 5 nights in a business trip. I had booked a Superior single room and am not sure if the hotel offered an upgrade, as I had a friend living in Jerusalem insisting with the hotel to provide a good service. The room, on the 16th floor, was not very big but was quite comfortable, with all necessary amenities and modern fitting. Breakfast was very good provided that I would manage to avoid groups flooding, when service would become a little more problematic. This does happen in many big hotels though. A last comment about the Concierge whom, besides providing a perfect service, was highly considerate and never forgot my name. Small things that sometimes mean a lot to someone used to travel alone in business.
Looking at other customers' comments, I cannot confirm the general bad impression. Maybe I was lucky, and I wouldn't know if the Standard rooms are worth the price. In my case, I clearly got what I paid for. Internet connection was outrageously expensive though.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank PAlmeida55

Reviewed July 17, 2009

I have never written a review before, but I felt compelled to do so after the repeated nasty ones written by so many people recently staying at this property. I definitely went to Israel prepared for the worst with my guard up as we checked in and walked to our room. However, our experience was nothing short of fantastic. We had an upgraded room that was beautiful with new furniture, etc. Our view was sensational and afforded us the most wonderful sunsets every night. Breakfasts were expensive, but they were also expensive at the other 4 hotels in Israel we stayed at. The staff was VERY helpful and cordial, and the location was perfect for us as we wanted to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I highly recommend the Jerusalem Crowne Plaza--don't let all these nit picky spoiled tourists deter you from staying here!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelPro1963

Reviewed June 15, 2009

After reading all the negative reviews, I arrived at this hotel for a long weekend with no little trepidation. We were part of a large group (250 rooms!) and clearly this establishment had been chosen for the price and not the amenities. But I have to say that the experience was not the "hell" described by others. In brief, this hotel is like a budget motel stay in America. Basic basic basic, but certainly tolerable if you want a place to lay your head. And -- big surprise, the service was cordial and friendly by any standard.
Yes, the furniture in the room was tacky and run down, but the bed was fine, the linens clean, the water pressure in the bath OK, the water hot, the air conditioning effective, and the overall cleanliness of the room adequate. You can get a pretty good night's sleep.
The food in the dining room is not sophisticated, it's true, and some dishes were greasy, but the choice is large and everyone found something tasty to eat. You want gourmet -- don't eat in hotels!
We ordered pizza for the kids from room service and it came piping hot after 30 minutes, as promised, so that was an OK experience as well.
The pool IS clean and the kids had fun there. Again -- a bit old and run down, but for sunning and family play, it's OK. One thing that was weird is that there are no bathrooms or shower/changing rooms at the pool...you have to shlep back inside the hotel all soaking wet.
The "children's club" is at this stage very poor and with almost no games or toys. It was explained to me that they had just gone through renovation (three weeks earlier) and were still a work in progress. They'll have to make a much larger investment here if they want the club to be even minimally entertaining.
In short, since hotel prices in Israel are very high, if you get a good deal at this hotel, you should consider it.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family