“A little shabby, not so chic but friendly and accommodating”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #38 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Chichester, United Kingdom
“A little shabby, not so chic but friendly and accommodating”
Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a conference on integrative medicine and was very happy with the proximity to the conference centre. I was a woman on my own but never felt intimidated or uncomfortable, even when walking back late at night. There is a lot of building work around the hotel but no noise or inconvenience. I was on the 8th floor and at first in a 4star room, but after a night of whooshing up and down of the lifts I realised my room was behind the lift shaft and asked to move. When I came back from the conference my bags were in a five star room so I was not complaining.

Yes, the whole place could do with a refurb but the staff were friendly and smiley so I was happy.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Lyzzie,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. We are happy to hear that our friendly staff was helpful during your stay. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to the noise from the lifts. We appreciate your feedback and your business. This helps in becoming a better hotel.

Zelyn N.
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 1, 2012

It was starting in the parking lot, it cost money even to hotel guests. Old fashion lobby, need renovation and re-decoration immediately. Old elevators, small room with no decoration, walls requires immediate painting. TV set is 10 years old, bathroom is 20 years old. Cheap on soap, one shampoo and one soap for four people. Old pool, towels are in different floor. Need to put money and new management immediately.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear hoomi88,

Thank you for your stay with us and leaving a review. We are sorry you were not 100% satisfied with the facilities and interior of the hotel as well as your room accommodations. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you soon.

Zelyn N.
IHG Care
Houston, TX
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a few days, left, and returned. Thus, we stayed in a few different rooms. The rooms are nice, and more spacious that I had anticipated. This was my first time in Israel, and I was expecting rooms more typical to Europe. These were large enough for a king bed and a crib for our baby.

So let's discuss the bed -- the bed (and I saw this throughout Israel) were composed of 2 smaller beds. This was an issue with our little baby who I worried would get caught in the crack. The second room we stayed in didn't have the crack, so make sure you ask, if you care.

The breakfasts were substantial, clean, and yummy.

The worst part -- location. It is at the top of a large hill rather far from city center. It's close to the government area, but I wish we stayed more centrally located. Also, at night, when we returned from a long day of sight seeing, I cursed the uphill walk! The best part - the lounge downstairs is date night central for the orthodox Jews. It was great people watching.

Room Tip: If you get a room that overlooks the city, it's dazzling.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Pam_David
Hoschton, Georgia
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have stayed in Crowne Plaza's a few times in the past and have been completely satisfied. I never would have guessed this hotel was a Crowne Plaza as I went through it if it weren't for the name on the building. This place is frightfully run-down. Does anyone ever look up at the ceiling tiles? That was the first thing I noticed mere seconds after I entered the building from the side entrance...a decaying ceiling tile that had clearly been there for some time, sagging and mutilated from water damage...and neglect, else it would not have still been there. It doesn't set a good tone for your stay, and they don't deviate far from that impression, unfortunately. I find it curious that they have employees diligently scouring things like handrails, while they let far more unsightly issues go unattended to.

We had to change our room due to an unpleasant smell in our bathroom. The original room was incredibly small, comparable to a very small Manhattan hotel room. The next one was a little more accomodating, but seriously dated. The elevators are ridiculously small for a hotel of this size, and a nightmare on Shabbat. The pool area could be fun, if you could find a place to sit. They do set a lane or two aside for those who actually swim, which is thoughtful. There is also a nice view of "David's Harp" if your room has a western view.

As someone who has stayed with this brand enough to know what to expect, I can honestly say, with the exception of two or three employees I noticed, this hotel is a disappointment in most every way. Crowne Plaza should be ashamed to have their brand on such a place. I went to the King Solomon after two days here, and had a far superior experience...and with a better location! I am not about price as much as I am value for my money...and KS beats out CP on a value level, hands down. Needless to say, I wouldn't return to this Crowne Plaza without a complete overhaul, and frankly...it makes me want to reevaluate altogether any Crowne Plaza stays in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UniqueCritique2012
Dear dna4ever,

First of all, thank you very much for staying at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Jerusalem.

Ferdinand G
IHGCare
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Generally a good hotel. Food and Service were excellent. The two complaints I had are:
1. Air conditioning in the room was weak. This apparently wasn't the case in all rooms though. But it definitely detracted from the comfort level of our stay in this hotel.
2. For a large hotel such as this, the approach and egress in the drive up areas was WAY under designed. This didn't affect our stay particularly but was surprising to see.

The food was an 8 out of 10, which in my scale is very high. The service was also attentive, prompt and caring. Those are two important areas. The rooms have been upgraded but the decor is disappointing as it is very "modern" and thus doesn't offer any kind of homey feeling, unlike other hotels I have stayed at in Jerusalem.

Another big plus was that they provide guests with free WiFi throughout the hotel.

As far as location: closer to exiting the city for airport access but farther from the Old City. The new train helps to offset any location liabilities.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms overlook the King David's Harp bridge which is for the new train system. That...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Cam H
Foley, Alabama, United States
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My husband and I were staying in Jerusalem with a group of 28 from the United States. We were told not to expect 5-star hotels overseas to be the same as at home. Boy were they wrong! The Crowne Plaza was everything we hoped it would be. The staff was friendly and helpful, the food absolutely delicious, and the room clean and well stocked. They made our stay in Jerusalem restful and very pleasant. The king bed was expecially comfortable and we even had Fox News to watch in English, and that made us feel right at home!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Gail M
Jerusalem
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We have now stayed at the Crowne Plaza in both Tel Aviv and Jerulalem and I can tell you that we have had EXCELLENT service at both locations.Both the CPs (Tel Aviv is right on the shores of the Med.and offer a huge Israeli breakfast with so many things that you couldn't event have a tiny bit of each before you burst.There is everything from toast and jam and juice to yogurt ,olives smoked salmon and tons of salads and special egg dishes.We nevereven had to eat until the end of the day when we went up to the business lounge for some fruit and dessert or a sandwich.You can also do" half board" which includes dinner if that is what suits your appetite.
As far as cleanliness-Israel is a clean country and super modern and the CP hotels EXCEED clean and comfortable. Although there is AC in every room, every room also has a balcony for awesome city views and because they don't have many flying bugs here we enjoyed sleeping with the patio door open/
As far as "bang for the buck" you definitely get your money's worth and then some. The ever efficient manager of the desk is Riad and the personable manager is Hiam at the CP Jerusalem and Avi Levy at Tel Aviv all make your every wish come true. Avi walks the hotel daily as do Hiam and Riad to ensure that your questions are answered and your needs are not only met but exceeded.
We have traveled alot and know that even though you only use your hotel as a home it is so important in how you feel about your stay in any location.
Stay at the Crowne Plaza in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem and you will be on your way to a fabulous vacation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business