“Bets Typical Israeli Market Restaurant”
Review of Azura

Azura
Ranked #1 of 729 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This kosher restaurant ( opened only at noon) offers dishes slowly cooked on kerosene burners. The choice is "oriental", Kurdi and Iraqui "homely" slow food ( ground meat and aubergines, sofritos, oriental goulashes, stuffed vegetables , kurd meat ball soups and an exceptional humus, rare things like lung based dish etc. Serves are large and delicious. The set up is original ( don't ask for confort or space), on a square of the main Jerusalem food market ( a "real" market),Mahane Yehuda. On friday you must expect a long queue, people coming from all Israel for a taste of Azura. Service is by the founding family,nice people . Beware though no wine , no coffee and no credit cards!

There are newer reviews for Azura

Reviewed May 17, 2014

On my last day in Jerusalem I went to Azura to have lunch. It was really good. Amazing hummus and eag plant. Portions are really big so better to share. Service was good and the ambience really nice

1  Thank Diana Milena L
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

We spent 8 days in Israel and ate our way across the country. To be honest the food was good, but rarely great...with the exception of Azura. It was awesome. We arrived late and they were ready to close. The owner came out and offered to give us a little of everything so they could close their kitchen. We had a plate of most dishes they served and a few large plates of hummus. Everything. We ate was outstanding. I am, very literally, salivating thinking about it right now. It was like Middle Eastern soul/comfort food. Massive and amazing meatballs, delicious eggplant in a sauce, egg in a sauce, and the best goulash I have ever tasted.

Go! Get away from the stuffy Old City.
See Mehane Yahuda and eat here. You will not regret it.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is the place for a memorable, authentic, outstanding lunch in Jerusalem. This is a slow food restaurant; they start cooking at 6 or 7 am so by lunch time the flavours are rich and delicious. Service is good and quick, but don't rush! Get here early to get a table and ask your server for recommendations. We tried several dishes, but my favourite was the Azura dish, a stuffed eggplant with cinnamon spiced beef, with pine nuts.
As others have mentioned, it is a little hidden in the market, but ask around, locals will know how to guide you to the right spot. Enjoy!

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I've often had a late afternoon/early evening meal there. The seating is comfortable and casual but the service, nonetheless, always good. When I hadn't appeared there for over a month, one of the waiters (a relative to the original owner himself) asked where I had been. Meals are inevitably good no matter what you order. So far, I like the "soprisa" best, a mideastern dish, slow-cooked, potatoes and meat plus whatever else is included. Incidentally, Azura was one of the featured restaurants in the 2013 beautifully illustrated cookbook, "Jerusalem Cooking". It's located in the Mahane Yehuda in the "Iraqi" section right across from the (Arab) foodstand where I buy my fruit, from the (Jewish) organic foodstore which always has top level products and the newly enlarged cheese shop which features quality but lower prices like everything in that section of the market.