“The worse Chinese restaurant i've had the misfortune to eat at - and i've eaten at a lot....”
Review of Mandarin

Mandarin
Ranked #602 of 743 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Use google genius! Restaurant does not have its own site.
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Having read the reviews on trip advisor I knew that this restaurant was never going win a Michelin star, but I had a craving for Chinese food so went. Thankfully i didn't order alot. The soup was watery and tasteless. The fried rice tasted of artificial flavouring. The only saving grace was the lemon chicken which was a good sized portion and tasted ok. The place looks tired and is in need of an overhaul. A good place to start should be the kitchen.

Consideredings its the only non-kosher Chinese in Jerusalem I would have thought they would have made more of an effort in every aspect of the establishment.

2  Thank coley100

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The most important fact about this restaurant is that it is open Friday night. The decor is aged. Although the Christmas garlands and Santas added something, just not sure what. The food satisfied our hunger but had little to recommend it. Both dishes were bland. Chinese food varies greatly by province and this food lived up to the name Mandarin. It used little spice. Even the chicken with ginger had only a few shreds of ginger. My wife would not drink the tea because of the cracks in the tea pot. If you need dinner on Sabbath this is open 7 days a week.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I actually was really in the mood for Chinese even though I knew that I was likely to be disappointed. I went in to the place ordered beef dumplings, sesame chicken, white rice and Chinese tea. Rice and tea are extra. After ten minutes they brought the chicken and rice and it was in a black gooey sauce that seemed like it had been burnt not cooked. I even thought that this was a prepared dish that had simply been heated up or nuked in the microwave. I ate the dish but really felt bad afterwards. I cancelled the dumplings which should have come first and asked for the check. A very unfulfilling experience. I really cannot understand how anyone could praise this place as a good Chinese restaurant. Next time if i want Chinese I will go Italian instead or fly to New York!

1  Thank Jer777
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I went for the first time accompanied by my friend who was craving Chinese food. Both of us have eaten at Chinese restaurants in New York, in Edmonton, Alberta and in other locations in North America. This restaurant was, by far, the best in terms of food well prepared and taste. We had a variety of food including crispy duck, spare ribs, rice, both steamed and fried and egg rolls. We were served in steps so that the kitchen had an opportunity to cook each item as required taking no short cuts. The servers were knowledgeable about the food on the menu, helpful about ordering and, of course, friendly. The environment is clean and modest and the cost was quite reasonable. Will we return? Absolutely! Submitted by Robert Haymond, Teko'a, Israel.

1  Thank Robert H
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My sister and I definitely enjoyed the very delicious food here at the Mandarin chinese restaurant in Jerusalem, Israel. I think this was the best and most authentic chinese restaurant I saw anywhere in Israel in all my trips to the Holy Land. The portion sizes were also good. The service of the staff was excellent. They were very friendly and very attentive to making sure our needs were met at our table. They had a large variety of food available on their menu which is available in English. The staff also speaks good English, which was a huge bonus. The location was near a main plaza off Jaffa Road and was an easy walk from the hostel we stayed in. The only think I would warn people about is the expensive price of eating here. I've eaten at chinese restaurants all over the world, including in China, and have never paid as much for chinese food as I did here at this particular restaurant. The food is expensive here. However, I became tired of eating the same bland Israeli food we had eaten for so long elsewhere and was glad to find a delicious chinese restaurant in Jerusalem.