“If you are dying for Chinese do not go here !”
Review of Mandarin

Mandarin
Ranked #581 of 716 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Use google genius! Restaurant does not have its own site.
“If you are dying for Chinese do not go here !”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I actually was really in the mood for Chinese even though I knew that I was likely to be disappointed. I went in to the place ordered beef dumplings, sesame chicken, white rice and Chinese tea. Rice and tea are extra. After ten minutes they brought the chicken and rice and it was in a black gooey sauce that seemed like it had been burnt not cooked. I even thought that this was a prepared dish that had simply been heated up or nuked in the microwave. I ate the dish but really felt bad afterwards. I cancelled the dumplings which should have come first and asked for the check. A very unfulfilling experience. I really cannot understand how anyone could praise this place as a good Chinese restaurant. Next time if i want Chinese I will go Italian instead or fly to New York!

1 Thank Jer777

• Hebrew first
Jerusalem, Israel
“Good service and extremely tasty”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I went for the first time accompanied by my friend who was craving Chinese food. Both of us have eaten at Chinese restaurants in New York, in Edmonton, Alberta and in other locations in North America. This restaurant was, by far, the best in terms of food well prepared and taste. We had a variety of food including crispy duck, spare ribs, rice, both steamed and fried and egg rolls. We were served in steps so that the kitchen had an opportunity to cook each item as required taking no short cuts. The servers were knowledgeable about the food on the menu, helpful about ordering and, of course, friendly. The environment is clean and modest and the cost was quite reasonable. Will we return? Absolutely! Submitted by Robert Haymond, Teko'a, Israel.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Robert H
Jacksonville, Florida
“The best Chinese restaurant in Israel”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My sister and I definitely enjoyed the very delicious food here at the Mandarin chinese restaurant in Jerusalem, Israel. I think this was the best and most authentic chinese restaurant I saw anywhere in Israel in all my trips to the Holy Land. The portion sizes were also good. The service of the staff was excellent. They were very friendly and very attentive to making sure our needs were met at our table. They had a large variety of food available on their menu which is available in English. The staff also speaks good English, which was a huge bonus. The location was near a main plaza off Jaffa Road and was an easy walk from the hostel we stayed in. The only think I would warn people about is the expensive price of eating here. I've eaten at chinese restaurants all over the world, including in China, and have never paid as much for chinese food as I did here at this particular restaurant. The food is expensive here. However, I became tired of eating the same bland Israeli food we had eaten for so long elsewhere and was glad to find a delicious chinese restaurant in Jerusalem.

• Visited July 2013
“authentic”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Most importantly - this is the Only authentic Chinese place in Jerusalem, attested to by the many Chinese guests.... The food is very good, which authenticity doesn't necessarily guarantee. The single draw-back is the place itself - it is up some dingy stairs, the space is shabby looking and in need of a a spruce (which they may get, as the rumor goes) But, If you can't stand the atmosphere and still want the best (traditional) Chinese food, you can order it to take away. It is good value for money but only relatively to Israel, anywhere else in world this would be a good, cheap, basic place.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank austen73
Jerusalem, Israel
“Jerusalem's first adress for Chinese food!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Since I have never been to China, I don't know about authentic Chinese food. So far I have only been to countless Euro-Asia restaurants. Compared to them, this place definitely stands out from the mass. Unlike many Israeli Asian restaurants Mandarin is actually run by Chinese owners.

We arrived in afternoon just when the lunch deal officially ended, but where still invited to order a three course business meal by the friendly owners. We ordered one two course meal (about 60 NIS) and a three course meal (75 NIS). We could chose from different soups or spring rolls. I had the Wonton soup, which was excellent. My companion had the spring roll, which was large, made there (not one of the those bought ones) and tasty. For main courses we had chicken with curry (spicy!) and fried duck. Each main dish came with rice (fried or steamed), both were large portions and very tasty. As dessert we got a fried banana, which was very tasty, large and easily enough for two to share.

The interior of the restaurant is kitschy Chinese with many little, funny details such as no-smoking or watch-your-step-signs in Chinese. Don't expect one of these trendy slick Asian places, expect a stereotypical Chinese restaurant, that will make you forget you are in the heart of Jerusalem, just minutes from the Old City.

The place is open seven days a week. Staff is friendly, there is plenty of place. Absolute recommendation.

• Visited June 2013