“Unexpected delights”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Trattoria Meridionale
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was enjoying Machane Yehude when I saw an elderly, and apparently quite poor, man and his wife sitting outside Topolino. He was very much enjoying some delicious looking small fish, which could have been sardines.

I was lucky to be given a small table - people were coming in all the time, many had to be refused. I saw sardines on the menu, followed by a fish cous cous. I sat back, and decided to enjoy myself so ordered a glass of house red, which was excellent.

When the sardines were served, they were not the same as those I'd seen previously but were three fillets, prepared stuffed. I was initially disappointed partly also because they seemed small. I needn't have worried. Not only were they totally delicious but also quite filling.

Between courses, I was served a complimentary salad, exquisitely dressed. Why can't I make a dressing like that?

The fish cous cous, was also beautifully seasoned and generous with both fish and cous cous so I was really full and satisfied. The bill, 155 NIS was presented with two pieces of truffles.

This, for me, was certainly not a cheap meal but I had no regrets. Everything about Topolinos called for a return visit - except that there are so many other wonderful restaurants!

1  Thank Jeffrey N

Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Topolino is very small and it is hard to find a space without reservatios. If you get a place do not miss the " Pizza Bianka" a heavenly Pizza without tomatoes but with Zucini and Pears - Out of this world!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

a quiet, tiny place. Home made pasta with unusual fillings and sauces, and some not trivial other dishes offered. Good service. Come, sit, eat, go. Usually busy.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

we entered the restaurant and immediately were transferred from a busy mid-day main road near the entrance the Shuk Mahane Yehuda into a quiet, elegant but modest restaurant. Not more that 10 small tables. Home made pasta is offered with unusual suaces. Fish are also offered. Service is efficient and nice. Dessert was excelent.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Authentic preparation , quality ingredients, lovely cosy atmosphere, friendly service: and Topolino has maintained it's standards for many years--- this is why it has a devoted local clientele, including us!! Cynthia and Ilan Rubin, Jerusalem