“pretentious” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moise - CLOSED

Moise
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A French bistro rstaurant in Jerusalem; rustic French cooking; very small, but just fabulous food, atospheric and eccentric, including the (?) proprietor. On Hebron Road, edge of Abu Tor quarter. Definitely should be listed.
jerusalem
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“pretentious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

It is a kosher version of authentic french food, small simple place,the service is nice The food is not bad , the serving portions are tiny and the price was ridiculously high..The couple ,owners? r v sure of their gourmet achieving but the food is good without excellence..

Visited September 2012

Jerusalem, Israel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Provence in Jerusalem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I had dinner the other night at Moïse, founded and managed by Claude-Moise and Chef Simone Zemour.

Chaim Yitzhak Davids, formerly the chef and a partner at The Kitchen Table in Mountain View CA used to work for this restaurant until recently. Chef Chaim has contributed, among certainly many other things, by introducing the famous lamb bacon which I've immensely enjoyed there at Moise, a recipe that he learned from Chef Todd Aaron from the great Tierra Sur restaurant at the Herzog Winery in Oxnard CA.

Moïse is a very small restaurant with only 5 tables, 3 of which are inside and the 2 other on a nice patio, and a charming unpretentious atmosphere reminding of a little house in Provence along with nice french songs playing in the background.

However while not being fancy-looking, the restaurant features an amazing yet relatively short menu on which you may find, aside from the aforementioned lamb bacon, a terrine of sea bass and Norvegian salmon, Coq au Vin, Beef Bourguignon, Duck confit, and the sinful perfectly cooked 18 oz Prime Rib with its Merlot-based sauce and slices of black truffle (you read that right!), which was my choice for entree of course.

All that is prepared by the very talented Chef Simone Zemour, a disciple of worldwide famous Chef "Monsieur" Paul Bocuse, known as the Chef of the Century, with his multiple awards of 3 Michelin stars and 19/20 points in the Gault Millau guide. As dessert I had the Apple Millefeuilles which actually was a base of delightful cake topped with home-made apple icecream (didn't taste parve at all) and crispy caramel.

I really had a great meal thanks also to Claude-Moise Zemour who is not only the owner and Chef Simone's husband but also the Maitre d' and waiter all at once and provided to the great experience thanks to his smiley and courteous service, his good sense of humor and friendly conversation.

I will be back for sure.

• Visited June 2012
Washington D.C.
“Great food, but watch out for the wine”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I had been going to Moise's for a while when a special occassion came up. The owner and I had chatted a lot over the two months I was eating there, so he know what I did and that I was not a rich person.

Usually, I would have a glass of wine with dinner. The cost of a glass of wine was always reseasonable. On the night of the special occassion, he asked if we wanted wine. I said yes, and we asked for a bottle. He said that he had something nice - there was no wine list. We drank the wine, it was nothing special, but I thought nothing of it.

The bill arrived. The bottle of Israeli wine had cost 400 NIS. I was too shocked from the experience to say anything. A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a neighbor. She warned me not to go to Moise's, and then recounted her experience - which was exactly the same as mine. There is something to "Buyer Beware," but a restaurant owner should let their customers know how much something will cost, especially if it is so much higher than the usual price point.

The food is tasty. Too bad for this experience, otherwise I would have remained a regular weekly customer.

• Visited September 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jerusalem
“An Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Our meal at Moise (a group of 8) was certainly a unique experience. The ambiance was amazing as was the food (although the menu is pretty limited, as is the seating - there's about 4 tables all together). Moise hosted us like we were eating at his home, poked-fun at us, recommended dishes, and eventually he and Simone sat down with us for exceptional dessert and a bottle of champagne, on the house. Definitely one of the better dining experiences we have had in Jerusalem (we are locals).

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Toronto
“Exceptional experience, combining outstanding food and unique ambience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

Eating at Moise is like being invited into a small, rustic French inn at the invitation of the proprietor. Cooking is by the Paul Bocuse-trained Simone, while the eponymous, handlebar-moustached Moise hosts the tiny (10 - seat) reataurant. The menu is full of exquisite dishes, excellent tastes and textures. We especially likes the veal "bacon"; the beautifully cooked marinated beef rib (shared for two); and the best profiteroles I have ever tasted. Difficult to believe they were parev. Moise will discuss the food and wine choices with you. This is a really special experience, and would be wherever the restaurant was situated. Outstanding food and a lot of fun. Suggest reservation. This restaurant is known and recommended by word of mouth.

• Visited January 2012