“Love it!!!”
Review of House 57

House 57
Ranked #14 of 60 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 19, 2012

First of all, the owner was very kind. The rooms were clean and pleasant. The neighborhood was quite and near at the train station and a supermarket. The kitchen was fully equiped so you can make your own breakfasts and dinners. I really enjoy the view from the balcony. The rooms have a/c, microwave, bathroom and a small refrigerator.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Last year we stayed at House 57 for 5 days; this year, we stayed for two weeks. We chose to return because of House 57's great location, friendly atmosphere, pleasant, quiet neighborhood, and gracious host. House 57 is within easy walking distance of a little neighborhood shopping center where we could shop for pastries, groceries, and much more, and where we could also have a pleasant meal at a sit-down restaurant. In minutes, we could walk to the light rail or bus, and the neighborhood was pleasant just for a stroll. Breakfast at House 57 afforded the opportunity to chat with guests from around the world; we shared and received ideas about what to see and how to get there; we made new friends and experienced a sense of fellowship with other guests. Nir, owner of House 57, was readily available, gracious, and helpful. He makes his guest feel valued and welcomed. When we returned to House 57 after a full day of site-seeing, we could linger on the porch or go directly to our room, which was comfortable and clean. We will definitely return to House 57 the next time we visit Israel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

If what you want is an American style hotel, don't read further. But if you like a simple but very clean room with a small but clean bathroom/shower, big flat screen/numerous channels, good breakfast, hospitable host/owner who'll help you with any eventuality, this'll be the place. Located in a nice neighborhood in good proximity to the center city (car/electric rail). Owner greeted us when we drove up and helped us with a heavy bag. Pleasant conversation with other guests at breakfast which is held on a beautiful terrace/patio that is heated in the winter. The price is right, too. An entire week at House 57 would cover only one night at the King David.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2012

As independent travelers we have stayed in numerous places around the world and what really stands out at House 57 is the owner, Nir. House 57 has been operating for 20 plus years. As a former tech executive, Nir has traveled the world and knows what is important to offer visitors. It shows in the upgrade work he's completed AND his pursuit in total customer satisfaction.

My wife and I stayed at House 57 four nights from 10/17 - 21. He arranged pickup at the airport in Tel Aviv with his employee Akrom. Akrom carried the bags to our room, pointed out the instructions for wifi, air conditioning, hot water switch, TV, the communal kitchen where we could cook in if needed, etc. along with times for breakfast in the morning. He suggested we take a 5 minute walk to the village and dine at the Waffle Bar. We ate there three of the 4 nights. Interesting and very good. The supermarket is right next store. ATM's are there also.

Breakfast is served on the outside covered patio in the back of the house. We met fellow guests and heard stories of things to do, places to go and engaged in interesting discussions with this international group. We hooked up with two guys for a trip into Bethlehem who had a car and invited us to come along.

Nir got us maps, pointed us to the light rail and off we went. For those not wanting to go by bus or light rail, Nir would call a cab. Cab fare to the old city was around $10 USD. To the Israel Museum, don't miss this, around $14. Nir indicated he was available via email or phone immediately if we needed.

In addition to all of this, Nir made arrangements to allow us to store our bags and take a shower as we did not leave for home until 12:30 AM (Delta to JFK). Thank you NIr!!

House 57 is an outstanding option for your visit to Israel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WorldTraveler1945
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed four nights recently. Nir has 6-7 rooms, two small, two larger, and a couple are family size. We stayed in a small room, which was adequate for us. The owner Nir is quite helpful and the location is close to a small shopping mall with a supermarket, ATM, and restaurants, also just a 7-8 minute walk to the train which gets you to Damascus Gate of the Old City, to the Zion Square main shopping area of West Jerusalem, and all the way out to Yad Vachem the Holocaust memorial. Also Nir will arrange reliable taxi to pick you up or take you the airport or Allenby border, and probably other spots as well. We enjoyed our stay but would recommend you book early and try for room # 6 (the biggest single room).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Okay, so while House 57 isn't exactly the most luxurious B&B I've ever enjoyed, what it lacks in comfort is made up for in hospitality and convenience. If I wanted plush linens and "heavenly beds", I would have stayed at one of the expensive hotels. But I wanted an affordable place to spend 10 days with my friends during Sukkot. The fact that we could congregate in the mornings and evenings on the huge patio (enclosed during the colder months) was wonderful. And Nir felt like a dear friend by the end of our stay. He truly goes the extra mile for his guests.

Okay, so there are a few things I would like to see improved before our next stay. As others have mentioned, there's a lot to be said for a freshly brewed cup of coffee in the morning. And not just any coffee - get the good stuff Nir! Second, I didn't mind that the sheets are a bit worn, but it would help if they actually fit the bed so couples don't have to battle over them all night. Third, Americans like hand towels and wash cloths. Fourth, a little variety at breakfast would eliminate palate fatigue ... small things like scrambed instead of boiled eggs, english muffins instead of toast, fruit platter instead of fruit salad, flavored yogurts instead of plain, waffles for the toaster, choice of juices, etc. These suggestions wouldn't cost much and would go a long way towards making happy guests who will give you repeat business year after year.

Other people mentioned they expected to have their rooms cleaned, but I'm sure that's something you would do if requested - just like changing the towels or bed linens, so it wasn't an issue for me. I did appreciate that the trash was emptied regularly. I do wish I had read the sign on the back of the door about the solar water heater so I could have had hot showers. I assumed it was because I was always the last person to shower that there was no hot water. It's totally my fault for not taking the time to read the instructions. I don't understand why someone else complained about the air conditioner being difficult to operate. Seriously? It was a matter of pushing the right button which was clearly labeled. And I don't get the complaint about the windows being open and bugs coming in. What bugs?

Bottom line ... Nir and his staff are very accommodating, so if you need something just ask.

Room Tip: Stay in room number 7 even if there's only two of you - the balcony is wonderful and the view is...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We came to Jerusalem for Sukkot, and stayed for 9 nights at House 57. It is a charming home turned B&B. The owner, Nir, is absolutely delightful. He is attentive, helpful, informative, and kind. He will go out of his way to make sure you have what you need. The house sits on a hill in a beautiful, safe neighborhood. It is only a 5 minute walk from a market and the light rail. We went on many day trips, and it was a perfect base from which to explore Israel. There are steep steps to the rooms. I stayed in 2 different rooms during my stay. The first room was a spacious room with a sitting area, bathroom, and a loft. The balcony has an incredible view of Jerusalem. The second room was one of four off a common kitchen area. The room was a little smaller, but fine for our needs. The bathroom for this room was very small, but I expect this in privately owned "European" style homes. The owner likes to conserve and be "green" with regards to laundering towels and sheets. If you prefer to have these things changed out more often, you just have to ask, and he is most happy to oblige. The breakfast is delicious, and is served in a serene, cozy, outdoor, but enclosed balcony area. It consists of freshly made fruit salad, vegetable salad, yogurt, soft cheeses, different kinds of humus, breads, freshly hard-boiled eggs, jam, peanut butter, and chocolate spreads. There is coffee and tea and bottled water. The coffee is instant, which was a little difficult for someone from the Seattle area (home of Starbucks, Tully's, and Seattle's Best), but I drank it anyway! I truly enjoyed my stay, and will stay here again when I return to Jerusalem.

Room Tip: Room 7 has the balcony with a great view, and is good for a family (because of the loft) or a couple...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends