“great bar, great staff, great view”
Review of Rooftop

Rooftop
Ranked #12 of 738 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Spectacular outdoor brasserie dining, with magnificent panoramic views that stretch across Jerusalem's majestic Old City. With a large and varied menu for dinner, the Rooftop features fresh natural ingredients infused in simple Italian cooking.
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Thanks for extending our time on your rooftop. We arrived late and were celebrating our last night in Israel. The bar tending staff went out of their way to ensure we had a good time.

Fantastic night time views of old Jerusalem and the Jaffe gate added to the enjoyment! Thanks

1  Thank 19babs
Ayelet A, F&B duty manager at Rooftop, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear 19babs,
it is a pleasure to read about your wonderful experience at the rooftop. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments. I was so pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and the service our team provided you was to your liking.
We look forward to see you on your next visit to Jerusalem.

Kind regards,

F&B duty manager

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Delicious dinner at the rooftop. Fantastic view and special thank to Noami for her gracious assistance.

1  Thank Joseph S

Dear Joseph S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedbak about the rooftop restaurant. I was delighted to read that our team, and especially Naomi provided you with excellent service and was able to assist you.
we hope to welcome you back to our restaurant.

Mamilla café manager

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Last week hubby and I went to celebrate our anniversary and his birthday at the Rooftop Restaurant. We had heard great things about it, and wanted to go someplace special for the occasions.

The place is amazing. First of all, the views from the restaurant are to die for. I think they have one of the best views of the Old City I've ever seen, and I've seen many. You just can't stop soaking in the beauty of the view. I really liked the design of the restaurant itself. I don't like places that are overly fancy, with gold, and trimmings and gaudy designs. This place is designed in wood - you feel like you are on a deck. In fact, you are on a deck. Everything is very tasteful and lovely, and I believe it all comes together thanks to the lighting.

Next: the service. What sets this place apart as a higher-level restaurant is the service. The waiters are attentive, and the food is served with ceremony. We ordered a delicious white wine that was recommended by their somellier (called Pamirim from Yekev Gush Etzion), and it came as one would expect from a fancy restaurant - in an ice bucket, we tasted first, etc. Our waiter Raz was friendly, sweet and efficient. He was great.

And finally, the food. What I really liked about the food was that it was gourmet, but committed to Israeli style. For example, we shared a shwarma entree. Now, when you think of shwarma, you think of corner diner-type places with sweaty guys cutting the meat off a spit for you (don't get me wrong, I love those places, they're just not so suitable for romantic getaways). This shwarma came on a bed of some kind of cooked veggies and a thin bread, with black tehina. Black! I love tehina, and think it should go on pretty much every food, but I had never had black tehina before. It was deelish. Oh, and they served us bread straight from the taboun with delicious spreads and olives.

Our main courses were also wonderful. My husband had a chicken dish with a sweet date sauce, and I got their burger. I can't resist a good burger, and I figured this one would be great. It was. It came on a perfectly toasted bun, and the burger itself was thick and juicy, topped with two slices of grilled liver. The sliced tomatoes, onions and pickles were fresh, and the side of fries were probably the best fries I've ever had. I don't know what they did to them, but yum. They gave me adorable tiny bottles of ketchup and mustard to put on my burger. It was awesome.

For dessert, we got the hot chocolate souffle, which was divine. I asked for sparklers to make the dessert festive for my husband's birthday, but they didn't have any so to compensate us, they gave us a another piece of chocolate cake covered in hot chocolate sauce, on the house. The cake wasn't amazing, but the thought was nice and it did add to the festive nature of our outing.

In terms of cost: Israelis will find this restaurant expensive, but in my opinion the cost is commensurate with the quality of the restaurant. However, North Americans and Europeans will probably find this restaurant to be great value for the quality they get, as compared to restaurants on this level in their home countries. But of course, no restaurant they visit in their home countries could actually provide this ultimate Jerusalem/Israeli ambience and culinary experience.

In short: run to this restaurant, don't walk.

Ayelet A, F&B duty manager at Rooftop, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear MiriamSchwab,
Thank you for choosing the Rooftop restaurant for your special occasion and thank you very much for taking the time to post such a positive review. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff provided you with excellent service, especially Raz.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to our restaurant

Kind regards,

F&B duty manager

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We visited following great reviews at this site. The view is indeed breathtaking but the food is beneath average. Consider NOT buying the cow just to get the milk (a nice enough view is not a good enough excuse to visit a restaurant)...
P.S. The service was also beneath average (slow and indifferent) even though there were only a few contumers at the time.

1  Thank Tomer R
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The place and landscape are amazing with the view of the old city. At night, the lights of the old city make it even more beautiful. The food is not over priced and the service is excellent. Highly recommend it.