“An Exploration into History” 5 of 5 bubbles

Danny the Digger
Ranked #17 of 217 Tours in Jerusalem
Cambridge, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An Exploration into History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

After spending a few days touring around Israel on my own, I had the pleasure of touring with Danny the Digger. On my own, I saw mosaics, and thought "Wow, amazing they lasted 2,000 years." With Danny, I was able to gain a far deeper understanding of why the mosaics were important, how the archaeologists found them and worked to preserve them; and what they tell us about the people that lived at the time the mosaics were laid. How do we know that this home was the home of Judah? How do we know that these mosaics are even in a home? How do we know those over there are in a temple? Danny has his theories, which he shares, as well as the conventional wisdom. You, the tourist can make your own conclusions.

The forensics of archaeology are fascinating, and no tour book shares that level of insight. Having the expert guide of Danny allowed us to appreciate the sites at a far deeper level. I highly recommend touring with Danny if you have the chance.

That, and he's an incredibly pleasant person to be around (an important thing to consider when you're spending hours not just at the sites but in the car driving between them)

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Socialchef

• Hebrew first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Tour of Israeli Historical Sites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Danny expertly guided us through the Dead Sea area and explained everything to us from an informative historical perspective.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Joseph H
Cambridge, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“What an experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I've been on many tours worldwide, but Danny stands out. We had a group of 5 people with a wide range of interests and mobility levels. Danny drew us all in with his knowledge and presentation. We especially enjoyed his challenges and debates of some widely held beliefs!!!

3 Thank John P
Los Angeles, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Thank you, Danny!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

We spent a long and exciting day with Danny touring Masada, the Dead Sea and Qumran (it was too hot for the kids to hike Ein Gedi) and enjoyed everything. Scheduling with Danny was a pleasure. It was not easy to coordinate all of our travel plans from the US but coordinating with Danny was easy. The afternoon before our scheduled tour, he called to suggest we leave earlier than our agreed upon 8:30am time to beat the heat and we are so glad we did. We stopped on our way to Masada for a quick camel ride and then continued through the desert. After a really interesting tour of Masada, we attempted to stop at Ein Gedi but at that point, we realized it was too hot for the kids to enjoy so we moved on to the Dead Sea which we all loved. Our next stop was Qumran to see where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered. Danny delivered us back to Jerusalem tired and happy after a full day. As he was not available during our other days in Jerusalam, he arranged for us to have to tour of the Old City and City of David with Yehuda Kaplan, another fantastic guide. Don't hesitate to tour Israel with Danny or the colleagues he recommends.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank roxhills
Virginia Beach, Virginia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Guide for 9 days with a large group”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Danny the Digger knows his stuff!!!! He is well educated, articulate and passionate about history, archeology, and his country of Israel. If you pull and push a little, his fun and witty personality will come out!! As this was my 4th group tour of Israel and probably my 6 or 7th guide, I feel as though my opinion is based in past experiences. Danny is one of the top guides I have toured with. I would recommend him highly - especially if you and your group has a special interest in archeology and digs.

Visited June 2014